• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

People ID (face recognition) in Lightroom not automatically working on new photos

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos added since October do not automatically recognize faces and add them to the People view, even though the People have been identified in prior photos. I can click on the photo, open the Keywords tab, and see that the program locates the faces, but does not identify them. (I can identify the faces manually by using that process.) And the non-idenfied faces are not shown at the end of the People view as they were weeks before. I have the same problem both when using Lr on my Android phone (Galaxy S20 5G with Android 12) as well as on my desktop, with the desktop specs below:

System info:

Lightroom version: 6.1 x64 [ 20221207-0956-730bf3f ] (Dec 7 2022)
NGL Version: 1.31.0.19
WF Version: 5.1 3e5491e
VF Version: 1.0.133
HIL Version: 40405

Operating system: Windows 11
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro (2009)
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Computer model: Dell Inc. XPS 8940 / 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3.5 GHz
Built-in memory: 65137.2 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65137.2 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 889.9 MB (1.3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1070.1 MB
Memory cache size: 566.5 MB

TOPICS
Android , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

After toggling the switch, I wouldn't expect immediate relief. I would make sure that LrD is fully synced and then give it a day or two to catch up. I will have to check on your status as an Illinois resident.  See the pinned post for more information

LrC is not part of this discussions and is not affected by local regulations the same way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

As you are from Illinois, the following applies:

“Due to certain restrictions in Illinois state law, images uploaded from Illinois will not be analyzed by Lightroom to detect people even if the People View feature is enabled.”

Did you update from a very old version to 6.x in October?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked my photos that were synced in the past 48 hours and they autotagged the correct face. 

Have you double checked your settings in Preferences>General and verified Enable People View is switched on? 

If on, does toggling it off, waiting a few second, and then toggling on help?

The last item to consider is: are you in an geographic area that has any restrictions on using biometric data? GDPR countries and Illinois come to mind. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Rikk. I double-checked the settings (Enable People View was on). Then switched off, closed the program, started the program and switched on. No success.

I do live in Illinois, but the face recognition works on LrC, and gives me faces on the new photos to identify. So the problem must be with Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After toggling the switch, I wouldn't expect immediate relief. I would make sure that LrD is fully synced and then give it a day or two to catch up. I will have to check on your status as an Illinois resident.  See the pinned post for more information

LrC is not part of this discussions and is not affected by local regulations the same way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrD and Lr Mobile on my Android have been fully synced while this problem has existed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are from Illinois, the following applies:

“Due to certain restrictions in Illinois state law, images uploaded from Illinois will not be analyzed by Lightroom to detect people even if the People View feature is enabled.”

Did you update from a very old version to 6.x in October?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your quick response, Rikk.  It is interesting that Google Photos is analyzing my uploaded images to detect people, and displaying the images identified by person on both my phone and desktop. It seems that I'll have to detect people manually in Lr.

I did not update from a very old version to 6.x. I suspect my update was in late October or early November but I didn't look for people until the last few weeks. I have ensured that I have the latest versions of Adobe products installed through Creative Cloud or on my phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, I didn't know about that one, thanks Rikk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines