• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Store Album Locally" doesn't save files into an album?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent days uploading all of my images to Lightroom with Creative Cloud. So far so good. I'm a happy camper.

I now need to access all of my images from a specific album, so I'm happy that I have the option to right click and "Store Album Locally", but is it right that it will save the images only by date and not by the album they were part of? How does that make any sense or at least an option? I spent hours putting images into their respective album and now it will save them only by date so if I want all the images I need to get into every date sub directory and fetch the images from there? This cannot be the only way to do it... is it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yuvalrooz,

We're sorry that finding some limitations in the Lightroom desktop local storage options.

It would really help if you can share this feedback here: Lightroom Desktop (Cloud-based) | Photoshop Family Customer Community

As this forum is monitored by our engineers, and they might look into this for future releases.

We need more helping hands like you, as we're building towards a better user experience.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you misunderstand how Lightroom works. Lightroom is a non-destructive editor, which means that the edits (and other things like added keywords) are stored separately from the image. If you need to use the image for something, you will have to export it with the edits applied to it. That is the ‘Save to’ menu.

‘Store Album Locally’ is not meant to give you access to the images for use in other applications, because if you open such an image from this local storage, you would not see the edits. It is only meant as a backup.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand that Lightroom is nondestructive and therefore when you save you get the option to JPEG or "Original + edits", but once you import images to "Creative Cloud" via Lightroom import, you don't have any access to the files, so you can "store them locally" or like you said "save them". I just don't see the value in "store them locally".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Storing an album locally gives you access to the original when off line. So if you are travelling and have no data connection you can still edit and zoom 1:1 to check focus and sharpness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, but it gives it by date rather than by album which is what you (or at least I) spent so much time on organizing them and now, I cannot access them based on that time spent so still same point. I don't think the feature is useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature is very useful for those who have need of it, both for travelling and perhaps performance purposes.

What we probably don't understand is why exactly you need to have access to those locally stored files in some form of album-based folder. What would be the advantage to you, given that they would be just a local copy of the unedited original files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it is essential, because when I already have the photos edited the way I like them, I want to save the final file and share the final one (the final file) so that other people can download it or use it on the web or simply put it in the background on the mobile.
I understand that the original should be saved + the changes, but I also want to save a final file in jpg format for everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Lr cloud ecosystem, you should expect to "share" the images diretly from within Lr. The expectation is not to utilize the internal structure, or export a "final version" back into Lr for sharing. 

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Store Locally is not intended to make the images available to other applications. It is there so that you can continue to work on the images from within Lightroom even when you don’t have an internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How dare you accuse anyone of not understanding something that couldn't be harder to understand. I've been using Photoshop since 1995 and have never had ant problems understanding upgrades for the most part (there's always something). The LIGHTROOMS are robbing me of hours and hours of free time for one reason or another!!! I finally figured out why I have a duplicate folder in Lightroom but now I don't know what to do about it. I spent a few hours uploading a high volume SD card. I organized each group of events into Albums. It took a long time for them to all upload, but when all was said and done, the very first folder (and the one I wanted the most) was not there. So, I created another folder and uploaded them again with a slightly different name. Now the 2nd folder still appears in LR only, but LR Classic has both. I have verified that if I delete one photo from one folder it deletes across the board, in other words, the 2 folders that appear in Classic and the one folder that appears in LR. It is simply wrong of you to accuse anyone of ignorance when confusion is what you do better than anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also finding this extremely frustrating. If I want to migrate my library from one account to another, or even just export individual folders, there's no way at all to do this? I can only export/migrate files by date, but if I reimport them I have to start all over again re-titling them, regrouping them into folders and reorganizing their placement within those folders? 
I basically have to lose hours and hours of work because you guys couldn't be bothered to include a simpler way to download/migrate individual folders? I've already spent hours trying to figure out a way to do this and still have not found a satisfactory result. I'm very aggravated and disappointed in the share/export/import functions of this software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue and am extremely frustrated by it. All I want to do is migrate my folders from one creative cloud account to another and retain the folder structure. Why on earth this is so hard to do is beyond me. Seems like something that could be done with a flip of a switch somewhere on an adobe server. Seriously reconsidering my subscription. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need to do is sync your photos with lightroom classic then from there you can move things around how you like, you can find tutorials on this on youtube. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would we want to go backwards to the classic version to make something work. I pay alot for CC and do not want work arounds to get my project done. I just want to make a slide show and am finding it impossiable to do simply. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching to Lightroom Classic is not going backwards. It is just a different photo management solution, and it has been around a lot longer so it has features that Lightroom doesn't yet have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's an absolute joke how difficult they are making this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fundamental to how Lightroom Cloudy works. You are not supposed to interact with the locally stored image copies. The fact that you can locally store them is only meant to give you quick access in the program. NOT to allow you to work on the images outside of Lightroom. You should only interact with your images through the interface. This is foundational to the program. Lightroom Classic is the version of Lightroom where you interact with your images as stored locally more directly. Cloudy is NOT the newer version. Classic is usually updated earlier or at the same time with new features and is what basically every professional uses. Cloudy is for people that do not need all the features of Classic and like the fact that the catalog and images are all in the cloud and look the same everywhere you open the app. Cloudy is just different and uses the cloud as the authorative version of your images. Classic uses the local storage as the authorative copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines