Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

remove original from the cloud

Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all-

Im trying to master a workflow with Lightroom and Im missing a couple things. I love to shoot, import into classic, sync to mobile, and sort, rate, etc on my ipad pro. I try to do much of the editing there, and come back to classic on my imac for HDR merge and a few other tasks. Im trying to figure out a way to have access to my full res files temporarily on my ipad. I also like having the simple folder structure setup in classic for my catalog. 

Heres my idea-

Import to Lightroom CC instead of classic on my iMac. Create an album which will then sync to classic and I can access them there for HDR merge and exporting to Photoshop.

So heres where my confusion lies-

My photos are stored on an external raid drive. I don't have much creative cloud space, so I would love to be able to import to my internal drive, and after a few days of working on a collection this way, move the full res files from the cloud and my internal drive to my raid drive and just keep the smart previews in the cloud. 

So Ive figure out how to import, get my stuff into classic, and move them to my raid via classic, but it still seems to be keeping a full res copy in the cloud. Ive moved the original file to my raid drive. But when I go into the album on my ipad I still have the otpion to download an original, leading me to beleive its still in the cloud. How can I simply remove the full res copy in the cloud but leave a smart preview?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

If you import into Lightroom in order to get an original in the cloud, then the only way to replace that original with a smart preview is by first unsyncing it in Lightroom Classic (remove it from 'All Synced Photographs') and then syncing it again from Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you import into Lightroom in order to get an original in the cloud, then the only way to replace that original with a smart preview is by first unsyncing it in Lightroom Classic (remove it from 'All Synced Photographs') and then syncing it again from Lightroom Classic.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It does work. However simply turning sync off in classic and back on doesnt. Unfortnately I have to remove them from the sync'd collection and add again. Would be great if I could simply turn on and off, but oh well better than nothing. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this might fit your workflow but you should be able to import them to Lightroom CC (=originals stored in cloud), then sync them to Lightroom classic and move them to your hard drive which should result in only having smart previews in the cloud. 

When I'm travelling I'm importing all images to lightroom on my ipad and then later download the originals from the cloud on my mac and move them to the harddrive (open the synced selection, select all images and move them to the folder in the folder list). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If sync is enabled when the image first goes to Lightroom for the cloud it should also be added to Lightroom Classic. If you then delete it from Lightroom for the cloud it should remain in Lightroom Classic, and you can then add it to a collection and share it back to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate the input but I have switched my workflow. I know import everything to CC, store it all in the cloud, as well as a local copy, and have it also sync to Classic where an additional backup is created on a second external drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines