• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search photos by metadata - how?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to search or apply a filter by metadata, e.g.

Photos with ISO 1000 to 2000

Or Photos with the 24-70 mm f/2.8 VR lens

Or Photos taken at 200 mm focal length

etc etc

Lightroom "Classic" CC let us do this with filters and smart folders.

Before I can consider migrating 600 GB of photographs to Lightroom CC, I need to be able to search & filter via metadata.

Is this feature planned or forgotten?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Lightroom CC is not as good as real Lightroom at filtering - just keywords, cameras, locations. While it may improve and add some extra fields, it is unlikely that it ever will be a match.

Where it is better is in applying AI to searching for untagged images, if you are online.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC is not as good as real Lightroom at filtering - just keywords, cameras, locations. While it may improve and add some extra fields, it is unlikely that it ever will be a match.

Where it is better is in applying AI to searching for untagged images, if you are online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI is fine if I want to search for photos of trees

But if I want a histogram of what focal lengths on which lenses I use the most, metadata searching is the only way

Or if I want to apply noise reduction to images between ISO 20000 and 25000 in one shot; and then 25000 to 30000 in one shot... metadata filtering is the only way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I understand. One would expect that those fields may eventually be added to LRCC - they are more likely than some other fields - but maybe Adobe think the target market doesn't need them? LR Classic lets you filter on both those fields and many more, so that's where you probably need to be. No point migrating to LRCC until or if it meets your needs....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stumbled across this thread when trying to find wide-angle shots in my library. It seems like I can't search for focal length at all. I think that's a horrible omission.

As for finding high-ISO shots, it is possible to combine a search for multiple ISO values, i.e. 1600, 3200, 6400.

Still no ranges or ability to save searches (smart folders).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature seems to be improved, but still doesn't seem to support ranges of values.

For example; I'd love to be able to filter out all the images in the focal length ranges 30-40mm, instead i have to filter 30mm, 31mm, 32mm etc individually. There are "Wide Angle", "Normal Focal Length", and "Telephoto" filters but I haven't been able to find any documentaiton on exactly what is included.

I am trying to figure out what my most used focal lengths are as part of a move from APC-S to Full Frame. Filtering is greatly improved since I first started using Lightroom CC, but it sounds like Lightroom Classic is still much better for this kind of filtering/analysis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto, it still seems impossible to search by width or height to try and filter images which are above or below a specific resolution threshold for example. That alone would enable systematic usage of the machine learning "Enhance" feature by allowing users to find photos that would benefit from upscaling.

For now it's a missed opportunity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I'd even settle for pre-set ranges like what we now have for ISO: Low, Medium, High.

Give me low, medium, high resolution filters and at least I can do some basic photo size filtering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I doubt cloudy Lightroom will ever get the sort of searching power present in Classic. It's been asked for for many years ever since the first versions. It is just diametrically opposed to the design philosophy and the intended audience for the software I think. I don't have any insight though but you can see from the approach the team has taken with this you can see that this sort of stuff is definitely not a priority but the AI stuff (which is utterly useless to me but does appeal to the target audience I am guessing) is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines