• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (MS App Store Version) Message: Some photos were not added. Unable to copy file.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've recently subscribed to Lightroom and am being met with this error message upon trying to import any images.

'Some photos were not added. Unable to copy file.'

I've seen 2 other posts on here of the same issue but the solutions posted there didn't work.

I'm using windows 10, imported the files from my SD card to my hard drive. I am then trying to import to lightroom from my hard drive.

Thanks in advance

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Greetings, 

Updates for Adobe Photography products began rolling out Tuesday night, August 16th,  The updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

If you are seeing this error and had downloaded Lightroom from the Microsoft Store, please try installing Lightroom from https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html instead. 

For others, I wonder if you could be running low on disk space? We should be giving proper messaging if so, but that's the current theory I'm trying to run down. You can tell Lightroom to take up less space locally by going to Edit > Preferences > Local Storage and reducing the "photo cache size"LocalStorage.png

I'd appreciat

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 203 Replies 203
202 Comments
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, and it just started happening. I have not changed my workflow, what type of files I'm importing, where they are coming from, but I have started using a new scanner. The last batch of images I scanned (film) most imported just fine, but 5 out of 36 did not and provided the attached error. My workaround was I saved the ones that wouldn't import to my dropbox account. Took those images from dropbox and saved them to my photos app on my phone, and then imported them using the LR app on my phone instead of my Mac. Very annoying. And it just started happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seit heute habe ich Probleme beim Importieren von Fotos in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.3

Folgende Fehlermeldung erscheint

defaultidcw1t4bgxgd_0-1629042803552.png

Vier fünf Fotos werden immer hochgeladen dann erhalte ich diese Meldung. Nach mehreren Versuchen habe ich auch gemerkt, dass nicht immer die gleichen vier fünf Fotos sind, die hochgeladen werden. An den Dateien kann es also glaub ich nicht liegen. Speicherplatz habe ich auch noch genügend.

Ich speichere meine Fotos immer auf einem PC Laufwerk und importiere sie dann - hat bisher immer funktioniert. Nachdem heute die Fehlermeldung auftauchte, versuchte ich es auch die Fotos direkt von der Kamera oder von einer externen Festplatte zu importieren - klappt leider alles nicht.

Ich hoffe, jemand kann mir helfen.

Danke und lg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solve for this. I keep getting this error when importing tif film scans from my external HDD into lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The likely cause is that your scanner is creating a non-standard Tiff file. 

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk,

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling it does have something to do with the files, as my digital files from my digital camera do not do this when importing them into LR. The LR Version information you requested is below. The file information from one of the Tiff images that won't import into LR for me is also below.

Lightroom version: 4.4 x64 [ 20210805-0652-b84a95f ] (Aug 5 2021)
NGL Version: 1.25.0.7
WF Version: 3.3 690e611
VF Version: 0.1.34
HIL Version: 40400
Operating system: macOS
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2 (20G95)
Application architecture: x64

Kind: TIFF image

Size: 37,488,648 bytes (37.5 MB on disk)

Name & Extension: 8-2021 art 22.tif

The only work around I hve gotten to work is to save the files that won't import to my dropbox, save these files from my dropbox to my photos folder on my iPhone, and then import the files into LR using the LR mobile app on my phone. Very time consuming.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Allan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk,

Did the information I replied with help you find a resolution to my problem? I am still having this problem, and I really need a solution. Thanks again!

Allan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I would need a sample file to examine.  Can you provide one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one of the files that gave me this error message last night. It pretty much happens every time in import film scans into LR now, but not ever file. For example. Last night I scanned 8 negatives. All 8 were scanned in the identical way, but the exact scanner, and saved in the same exact format/size to the same location (saved to a WD external HD). Of the 8 scanned images 5 imported perfectly, while the three on the attached error image would not import into LR. Just doesn't make sense. Keep in mind that the image file attached here is very much downsized as the full size scans I imported last night into LR are around 356MB each, which this platform will not let me upload files that large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since today I cant import ANY pictures to my Lightroom 4.4. I tried all the solutions i found online. Like the admin/folder rights, the online sync.... still it doesnt work. all it says is "unable to copy file" and then lists all the photos I wanted to import. I'm using lightroom for 10 months and this never happend. 

looking for a quick fix because it makes me unable to do my work. using windows 10 

thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem!!

Its always worked and now i cant add ANY images. The only way I found to make this work is to open a file in Photoshop save it as a JPEG and then import it into Lightroom. 

Not really a solution at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same is happening to me. I can't add any picture, either downloaded from the internet or taken by myself. Using windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no issue importing this file. Did you attempt to import the down-res'd file that you posted here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk,

I just tried importing the down-res'd file example I provided you into LR and I get the same error. message I get when I tried to import the full res version of this file into LR. Screenshot of the error message is attached. I need to get this fixed as I pay a good amount of money every month for LR. I originally posted about this over a month ago, and I am still having the issue. Whatever you need to do to fix this.

Allan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is likely there is a machine-specific issue at play here.  If you cannot even import the small version of the file that rules out some disk-specific issues that come to mind.  The following are good first and second steps to try in the event of a suspected bad install. I would recommend trying these. 

Step 1 - Reset your preferences:

This procedure works for both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop.

If you are using Lightroom Desktop it can change the location of your local storage. Please review this setting after resetting preferences. 

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

Step 2 - a clean reinstall.

Clean Lightroom Install Procedure

Close Lightroom

Restart the computer

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom

Restart the computer

Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.

Restart the computer

Launch Lightroom

Wait 5 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i too am having this issue it is highly annoying and nothing i have tried works. please fix this as i can imagine it must be a software issue as i am not the only one having this issue. makes it really hard to import photos in raw format when you have to do them one by one and close the app everytime a issue arises and then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk,

So after my last post I scanned 15 more negatives. All 15 imported fine into LR on my Mac Pro. Before I do this reset (step 1) I'm gonna try scanning/importing one more time. Since I am using LR Desktop instead of LR Classic, perhaps an update happened that has now resolved this. If I get this error again I will try step 1 and report back.

Allan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported 500 Sony raw format images a couple days ago. No issues.

There has to be some missing variable/condition we are missing.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone solved this?  I'm having the exact same issue.  Multiple photos taken on the exact same day.  Same camera, same settings, and only half of them will import.  The others all give an error message of "unable to copy file".  What does that mean?  Soooooo irritating! I haven't changed a single thing on my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

Any chance we can get the dev team to have a detailed log mode? The generic message as seen below is kinda useless. End users need some help and an indication of where the problem is.; as seen by the new posts in this thread. e.g. Is there a permission error? Is this a disk full? Is the server side storage full? Is this a network error? Do we have a memory leak and cannot allocate memory?

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact problem and error message right now. Trying to import a bunch of photos but it will only let me import 1 photo at a time otherwise I get the error message if i trying importing more than 1! Please let me know if anyone finds a solution! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can request an enhancement via the Lightroom Ecosystem Ideas forum. That is the best place to start. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk,

Thanks for your help here. I wanted to follow back up with you on this. I have done three more rounds of scanning and for some unknown reason I no longer have the issue. I know that Mac OS just updated so I wonder if it was a compatibility issue I was having between the previous version of Mac OS, Adobe LR, and the files I was getting out of my scanners using Silverfast software to create the film scans. Regardless, it seems to be working fine now. Thanks!

Allan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now having this same issue? Is there a solution to this. It is so annoying I can't add photos to my Lightroom it will only updload 8 images and then says unable to copy to the rest of the images!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm dealing with the same thing right now. Any luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate