• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync between LrC and Cloud a Mess, Need help.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A while back I jumped into sharing between the Cloud and my LrC without really understanding it all. I decided later that I didn't want to do this, but now I can't seem to straighten out the issue. Here's what I did:

LrC has 29k photos & originals that are my professional catalogs.

LR CC has 29k photos of family photos for the past 40+ years. This enables my wife to work on and add to these.

I had the bright idea to make a folder/collection on my LrC to sync all of these Family photos (LR CC) into my LrC. It worked great and I had it saving the synced images to a folder on my computer.

I later decided to stop doing this so I turned off the SYNC. Then I deleted that folder/collection from my LrC catalog. Later I went and deleted the files stored on my computer for those synced files. All is good so far.

Then I decided to share one collection on my LrC to the Cloud so I could work on it while away from my computer and LrC. I set it up, set it to sync and turned sync back on RESUME. It said I have 29k photos to sync and I can't tell what is syncing or where. 

I turned off the sync and realized that all of the 29k photos that I had originally synced to my LrC and subsequently deleted, with sync turned on are now being deleted from my Cloud, currently my only copy! And the 3000 deleted before realized what it was doing are not in the "Deleted" items folder.

So questions are:

1) how can I separate LrC and LR CC completely without deleting all of my family photos?

2) Is there any way to recover these 3k+ photos that already seem to have been deleted?

3) How can I share extremely selectively a few folders from LrC to LR CC?

Thanks for any input.

~ tommy 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After initial panic, the "deleted" photos in point 2 above did end up in the deleted folder and I restored them, so no files lost.

Just need to learn how to be able to sync without it deleting everything from that old sync.

~ tommy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So questions are:

1) how can I separate LrC and LR CC completely without deleting all of my family photos?

2) Is there any way to recover these 3k+ photos that already seem to have been deleted?

3) How can I share extremely selectively a few folders from LrC to LR CC?

1) The only way to do that is to NEVER enable sync again in that specific LrC catalog. If you ever resume sync in that catalog it will again initiate the slow deletion of the remainder of those 29k images that you deleted from LrC. That's the way it works...delete, or even just unsync, a synced image in LrC and the corresponding original in the cloud is also deleted.

You can sync a different catalog, of course.....but when you do that all 29k images in the cloud will again sync down into that new synced catalog. There is not a "selective sync" option from Cloud to LrC, it's all or nothing. Syncing from LrC to the Cloud, however, IS selective, i.e. the user gets to decide what images will be synced to the Cloud.

2. Resolved now, yes?

3. As per 1), you cannot sync from LrC to the Cloud from the existing LrC catalog without resuming sync, and that will cause the 29k originals in the Cloud to be deleted again. You can sync stuff from a new synced LrC catalog to the Cloud, but only by accepting that the existing 29k images in the cloud will download into that new LrC catalog.

Basically the system is not designed to maintain completely different sets of images in the Cloud and in LrC, and then to allow selective syncing between the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, but I think its getting clearer.

I am in the process of creating a full copy locally of the cloud images. Once I have it, I am planning to make a second copy elsewhere, then resume the sync and just let it delete everything. Once everything is synced (deleted), I am hoping thaty I can re-import that 2nd copy I made. It should be "new" and not get deleted, I hope.

At that point, I'm hoping I'm free and clear and can then only sync selectively from LrC to the Cloud.

~ tommy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you planning on "making a full copy locally" of the Cloud images? If you are using the "Store a copy locally...." option in the Lightroom Preferences, be aware that when the original 29k images are deleted then that local copy is also deleted!

Also, be mindful that when you re-import the 29k images from the second copy that you make, those 29k images will also download into whatever LrC catalog you choose for your selective syncing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plan to make a full copy to another drive of the "local" storage copy. 

Local storage will disappear once I fully sync.

I will then remove all synced folders/collections from LrC so there should be no sync connections.

I will import the 2nd copy that I made to another drive in the Cloud, saving a local copy.

I expect at this point that both are now separate entities with no sync connections.

Then I hope that I can make a single collection folder inside LrC of a dozen files and sync them to the Cloud.

I hope this works, and I will test it, but seems there should be an easier way to deal with all this.

And I realize if I took the time to really learn and understand all this syncing stuff I might not need a way to deal with all this, ha!

~ tommy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expect at this point that both are now separate entities with no sync connections.

Then I hope that I can make a single collection folder inside LrC of a dozen files and sync them to the Cloud.

Again, I need to make sure you understand that in order to sync that single collection from LrC to the cloud you will need to enable syncing between that LrC catalog and the cloud.....and when you do that all 29k images that are already in the cloud will download into that LrC catalog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that seems wrong to me. I don't want what is in the cloud to mix with my local LrC catalogs. I guess the only solution is to export anything I want from my LrC catalog and import it into the Cloud and NEVER sync, EVER.

~ tommy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your situation this way-

1) Use Lightroom-Classic with photos stored in 'local' drive folders specific and dedicated to LrC. Never turn on 'Sync'

2) Use Lightroom-Desktop to Add/Import photos (from folders specific and dedicated to Lr) to the Adobe Cloud and mobile devices. (Never the photo files that have been imported to Lightroom-Classic). Use copies in separate folders if you must have the same photos in both systems.

If that makes sense?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, makes sense. I was hoping to keep the "Family" photos separate, but also be able to add a few from time to time from my LrC catalog. Guess that can't happen. 

If I decided to go all the way, getting 3TB plus for all my LrC catalogs, and make it all one big thing in the Cloud, would that slow down my working on my local system? 

~ tommy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines