• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

True Lightroom Port for Android Tablets

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, Android tablets use the iOS/Android version for mobile phones, it's only resized to make use of larger screens.

Meanwhile, Lightroom Web is a complete port of the cloud-based desktop Lightroom. And funnily enough, Lightroom Web works perfectly in Chrome on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 Plus.

I think it should be possible for Adobe to port Lightroom for iPadOS to Android tablets; let's just call the product "Lightroom for Android: Tablet"; it can just be a glorified web wrapper with some slight tweaks, honestly and it would work just fine.

Will we see a true Lightroom port on Android tablets? I guess time will tell.

TOPICS
Android , Web

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not own any Apple devices, so I cannot confirm. I have always believed, and everything I have read is that the iOS version is a single application which supports both iPhone and iPad. It is one and the same. The same approach was done for the Android based devices. Same package for both the phone and the tablet.

So, what am I missing?

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me clarify further.

• There are two versions of Lightroom for Apple devices. One for iOS (phone), one for iPadOS (tablet). iPadOS version is a direct port of Lightroom (not Classic, the cloud-based version).
  • Meanwhile, there is only one version for Android; Android tablets just utilise a scaled up UI which puts the toolbar on the right (if you rotate your device, the toolbar moves to the bottom).

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of clarifications:

iPad and iPhone are distinct Applications but iPhone and LrTV are the same application

Android, (Phone and Tablet) and ChromeOS are a single universal App  - however it is obvious looking at the Chrome OS that it is not just a scaled phone device. There are differences based upon the device detected. 

Some specific observations might be helpful in responding/relaying to the Android team. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make it short: I'd really love to use the same UI of the iPadOS version on my Android tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a consumer, I would not agree with the same UI and Android tablet and an iPad. I would like feature parity, but the reality is Google and Apple have significant differences in UX design and approach. Using iPad design on an Andriod will be confusing to non-Apple users.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realise that Android (phone or tablets) use an older and/or crippled version of the software, right? For example, it is not possible to export 300dpi AdobeRGB TIFs on my tablet (Galaxy Tab 8+). I'm a professional artist, I'm currently designing a photobook and I'm only getting 72dpi files... meanwhile, on the iPad, it's possible to perform this. In short: the Android version is old, and should be updated with the latest version that has the latest UI/UX enhancements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On export Lightroom is only aware of the dimensions of the image. You can pick whatever dimensions you want when you export from largest available, to some default, or a custom value. 

From there, it is up to whatever printer (and its associated software) to convert the raw dimensions and images to whatever DPI the printer is capable of rendering, or a lower resolution you have selected.

In short, until Adobe develops a printing module, which should be aware of the physical dimensions, Lightroom is completely oblivious if you are printing at 1 DPI or 5000 DPI.

I am curious if Adobe maintains and publishes a chart showing the differences in functionality between the Lr platforms. @Rikk Flohr: Photography  any links?

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Timothy.SpearThere are some high-level charts on marketing pages but nothing with the detail of which you are asking.  They are primarily useful for gleaning differences between Classic and Ecosystem. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From a customer perspective, such a table would be awesome.

From a product manager perspective, such a table would be PITA.

In this case, I know which side I am on. 

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines