Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating 'copy of original' in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I use Lightroom cc, and store all copies of originals on a NAS. When uploading, all is good - a copy of the photo uploaded is created where i want it to be.

I have done some major work inside LR to update location tags, over a few thousand photos. The issue i have is that when i update GPS locations on photos inside of LR, my originals on the NAS do not get updated (i.e. for what i see 'create local copies of originals' is not a sync, but it does exactly what it says: it creates a local copy of the original during upload, and then leaves it there).

I would presume that the same applies also on photo edits: if i upload, then edit the photo, the original remains as it was.

To fix this, i see two options:

1. remove my local archive, and then export all the (>60k) photos back to the same location. Tested and I know this would work, it's just a load of work, and which i would then need to repeat regularly (not an option);

2. go in lightroom, remove the option of 'store a copy of all originals', change the location, and re-enable it - will it recreate the local archive? for what i seem to read in the manual, this will not re-create it but only change the location where originals will be stored from then on (do i read it right?)

Or, is there any better option?

Thanks in advance,

g

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Store a copy of all originals" option is purely designed to facilitate offline working, i.e. using the locally stored originals to edit images while the master in the cloud is unavailable, working with the local version of the catalog which contains the edit data. As such that local copy only contains original unedited data only.

If the user wants a locally stored copy of their originals with edits and associated metadata, they need to either use the "export as original" option to create a separate independent "backup" or they could periodically run the Adobe Lightroom Downloader (but that has some flaws which in my opinion would make it unsuitable for this task).

I don't think there is any other suitable option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much for the hint Jim. I have recently done the manual import process, and i hope i never have to do something like that again :).

The Adobe Lightroom Downloader (checked the page, seems rather straight-forward) seems to do the trick though, and even if it takes it a day to run through the process once / month i could leave the PC do to its thing... i'd be interested in the structure / hierarchy of the downloaded files, but for that i can start the process and see what they look like.

I never used it, may i ask what flaws you you feel would make it unsuitable?

Thank you again,

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested the downloader and the file structure is the usual: year / date.

Just seen one issue: when i run the downloader it seems to name every picture as OriginalName-edited (DSCF1111-edited), even if i only changed the GPS locations. I presume that's for photo integrity and keeping the original AND the edited version. But for me that will be an issue, as it will create duplicates (i presume) in every situation (like, if i upload the same picture in LR, in Google Photos, etc. etc. the comparison is usually on file name + date, and the file name just changed...)

Will check if export has the same issue, as it seems to be the last option available...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main issue I have seen with the Downloader is that any metadata that I've added in any of the Lightroom apps is not retained in the downloaded images, which would be a major issue for many people. The "edited.jpg" thing is also a nuisance....basically any original and edited jpegs in the cloud are downloaded in the original unedited state, but a derivative "exported" jpeg is also produced which has the edits from the original baked in (but that derivative has all EXIF and other metadata stripped, which isn't helpful).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive the multiple answers here!

do i read that the best / automated option would be to get LR Classic, synch LR CC and Classic (i.e. this process gets all your library locally - read: pay 2x subscriptions to maintain your 20gb online until you migrate everything), and then cancel CC and keep classic?

i.e. is the right answer to forget CC all together and go back to local?

i would hate to do that, but local storage is important to me, and i don't want to waste my edits.

Since CC does not give me the option of maintaining both online and local, then the only answer is to go local and find (better) alternatives for online?

thanks once more for any advice!

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is "local storage" so important to you? But if it is, I'd suggest that the Lightroom cloud isn't for you, as it is totally designed as a cloud storage solution. You instead might be better off with using Lightroom Classic, which is based on local storage but still has the option to sync smart previews of all the local originals to the cloud (which don't cost against the cloud storage allowance). The SPs are fine for viewing and even some basic editing on mobile devices, so you can effectively still have your entire library with you wherever you may be, but it also means you can't ever share images in original resolution without exporting them from LrClassic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In honesty, because i don't like being 'locked' in any solution.

My first choice a while ago was google photos; they introduced the pricing scheme and i left. Not because of the money (LR isn't free), but because i felt it was a scam. Migrating thousands of photos out of google was a piece of work by itself, mostly because of their storage of photos and metadata separately (yes, there are tools, but i went for manuall downloading pictures 500 at a time)

Then I went LR, and while it is much better from a photography standpoint, its recognition in my own view (faces, pets, ...) is far inferior to google. Sharing albums, family features, ... no comparison.

I also use(d) Synology photos, which has some of the ups of both, but the disadvantage of relying on local (vs cloud) processing power.

And of course, in the various transitions between solutions there's always complications with metadata, edits, RAW files and their own metadata, etc. etc.

Bottom line: i like keeping my own photos, with their edits and locations, locally, so that i can take advantage of the various solutions (LR,  Google Photos, and whatever will come next), while maintaining ownership of the photos and staying away from lock-ins... But of course, none of these solutions likes me to not be locked-in! 🙂

I'm now struggling with exporting photos with their metadata from LR CC... but that might be the subject of a different post...

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In honesty, because i don't like being 'locked' in any solution.

Bottom line: i like keeping my own photos, with their edits and locations, locally, so that i can take advantage of the various solutions (LR,  Google Photos, and whatever will come next), while maintaining ownership of the photos and staying away from lock-ins... But of course, none of these solutions likes me to not be locked-in! 🙂

You've said it yourself....there's always a degree of "lock-in" no matter which solution we currently use. My own take on that is that I'll worry about that when and if I decide to exit Lightroom, I see little point in developing and maintaining some not-very-good solution today until I know that I do actually need one. Who knows what future options there may be, so planning for the unknown for me would likely be an exercise in futility. I know how I would probably migrate today if I needed to, but I don't need to do anything specific about that unless I decide that it's time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines