• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading Cloud Storage

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the Lightroom CC-only plan at $9.99/month including 1TB of cloud storage, and have been a loyal and dutiful customer from when Lightroom CC was split off from Lightroom Classic. What sold me at the time was the idea that your entire library of photographs could be saved to the cloud, and would accessible from anywhere as though you were on your main computer. To this end, I imported the entirety of my previous libraries and synced it up to the cloud. Even at a couple hundred gigabytes, there were numerous synchronization issues that I waited patiently for Adobe to solve. Eventually they got it right, and the synchronization seems to be relatively smooth now. By steadily importing my pictures over the last few years, I'm now coming up to the 1TB limit. When I click the "upgrade" button, all I seem to get are options to add Photoshop and other Creative Cloud apps, not to add storage. Doing a quick search here found a few posts about a pull-down menu to upgrade storage, but that's not available. There were a few comments about calling Adobe directly for this option, but that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the upgrade pages anymore. What gives? I don't need Photoshop, I'm not part of a team, and I don't need both Classic and Creative Cloud. 

Why is it so difficult to add a bit of storage? I wouldn't think 1TB in storage is too far out of the ordinary, and I think I'm using the service as Adobe intended it (which, according to my understanding, is to sync up the entirety of my photo library to the cloud). Am I supposed to be using it differently? Am I supposed to delete rejected photographs ruthlessly in an effort to save cloud storage space? That doesn't seem to fit the as-advertised use for the Cloud, though, and I'm very reluctant to delete anything I've captured because I've found that photographs rejected for lacking aesthetic merit still oftentimes contains contextual information that proves valuable and even critical years later.

I'm trying to get an archival use out of Lightroom and the cloud, perhaps this wasn't as intended? But if the idea is to limit the use of the cloud to the most recent photographs and that I should be moving over the old ones to local storage, it's incredibly cumbersome to do so - to my knowledge, the only way to do this is to download them in groups by selecting each one. Some of these AI features like facial recognition,or those that do qualitiative analyses to help narrow down retained photographs are nothing but novelties, and I simply don't have the faith or trust in a computer to do my subjective thinking for me. I don't know why engineering resources are wasted on this trash when they haven't even gotten around to implementing basic usability features that, for once, keep the promises they made to their users. 

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not all that intuitive, but it looks like the instructions on this link works.

For those who might be wanting to do the same, but skimmed over the instructions:

1. Yes, as much as you might dislike the idea, you have to install the Adobe CC Desktop bloatware.

2. Clicking the "Upgrade Storage" link through the Adobe CC Desktop App takes you to a purchase page that adds to your card a product titled "Creative Cloud File Storage 1TB." This apparently is to add an additional 1TB to an existing 1TB Photography Plan.

(As an aside, for the time being it looks like I'm maxed out at 2TB. Attempting to purchase another 1TB will invoke an error message that says purchase is unsupported and that a different plan is needed. I guess I'll worry about this in a few years when I'm coming up on the 2TB limit.)

I made this purchase while holding my nose, and with utter disgust because I was foolish to allow myself to be locked into this platform, which I guess is the point. $9.99/TB/Month was the price 4 years ago back in 2019, despite steady decreases in per-unit cloud storage costs. I know Adobe is no stranger to customer abuse, and they keep the screws just loose enough to keep me around, but as an amateur hobbyist, this is rapidly reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be possible to buy up to 10 TB of cloud space, but you may have to call Adobe for that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that this is not intuitive that you are buying an additional 1TB. Reason being is the cost of 1TB is the same cost and the main subscription. Buying additional storage only should be at a reduced rate, such as $5/mo. Plus, the copy needs to be clearer that you purchasing additional storage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my storage and yet LR still says I'm running out. It is not reflecting all of my cloud storage. 

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 1.09.22 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-28 at 1.09.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the problem, we have fixed this for you. 

We have an issue where we are not being properly notified when 1Tb of CC storage is newly purchased.  For anyone else seeing this, adding a new photo (if you can), or deleting (and then restoring if you'd like) a photo will work around this problem. 

There are other ways to upgrade your storage -- 2Tb, 5Tb, and 10Tb plans are available.  Purchasing one of those plans does not hit this problem.

-Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got the same problem. Addngand deleting a phot did not do the trick for me. It would be great, if you could help me. Thanks in advance. Rainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue too. Please assist.

Thanks, Heath

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delayed response.  Looks like both @ainerr29068958   and  @heathr73431942  appear to now be fixed as of May 18.  Please let us know if you are seeing any further issues.

-Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other ways to upgrade your storage -- 2Tb, 5Tb, and 10Tb plans are available. Purchasing one of those plans does not hit this problem.

Can you tell me how this is done?  We've reached our 3TB limit but would like to add more.  I've looked everywhere and finally stumbled on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also looking into upgrading my 3TB storage, but cannot find any options (yes I looked at all the help pages) to do this in my account/in the app.
Did you find out how to access those 5/10TB plans?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey there,  I had to call and talk to someone but got my plan upgraded in just a few mins.  Somewhat of a pain but no big deal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should take care to count your actual data usage. I deal with this often as Adobe likes to put about a 30% overhead data usage on your account even though you're not using that true storage. They use this tactic to drive storage sales. You're likely nowhere near your paid data cap. I recommend doing some accounting and fighting with support to refresh your storage to it's true value. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Lightroom, we only count storage of original binary data against your quota.  Please do reach out to us if you think there is an error.

-Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter, 

Would you be able to fix my account as well. I am having the same issue where my newly purchased cloud storage upgrade is not being recognized by Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines