• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using LR 6.1 with LR CC

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using LR 6.1 for many years, and have over 20K files. I have resisted getting subscription services. I only need LRCC when on the road shooting, which is not that often. Otherwise I have no need to store my thousands of images online (and pay for storage). What I want to know is if I can use LRCC for the few hundred images I might shoot when covering festivals without having to move all my files to the web. In that situation I'd be glad to buy the LR plan alone just so I could use CC on my iPad when on the road. When I return home I'd download the files onto my hard drives at home. Is this making any sense, and is there a good answer? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably could. However, the toolset for Lightroom (it isn't called CC anymore) is completely different from Lightroom 6 .1. Personally, I think you would be happier with the photography plan and using a combination of Lightroom Classic and Lightroom. That way, you could import your images to Lightroom on the iPad when you are in the field and have them automatically downloaded and ready to edit in Lightroom Classic when you get back to your other computer. And if you do any editing on the iPad before you get home it would already impact the images in Lightroom Classic. Just a thought. Lightroom 6 .1 is ancient and won't provide you with the flexibility you would get with the full photography package.

Another consideration doing it the way you want to do it. The Lightroom 6 .1 catalog is totally incoompatible with Lightroom for the cloud. You wouldn't be able to do any editing at all on the iPad and have it when you import the images into Lightroom 6.1. It would be a new import, completely, and you would have to begin your Editiing with the Old Lightroom 6 .1 tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a big help. It still doesn't resolve the issue of having to store around 2TB of old RAW files on the web when I don't intend to edit those on any mobile device. But can you expand your comment about the catologs being incompatible? What would that mean if I do install the photo package in terms of the files I already have in the catalog? Will I need to move them all? Will all the editing I have done be incompatible? If I choose to not upload those files, can I keep 6.1 on my computer and use it for those files and essentially start from the beginning with any new files I add? All a little confusing, and I really am a bit nervous about what might happen if I do update....TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you installed the photography package, which means you would upgrade Lightroom 6 .1 and then use Lightroom Classic along with Lightroom, Lightroom Classic would upgrade your existing catalog by creating a new version of that catalog. All of the work that you have done would remain intact. None of those images would have to go to the web. You could import images on the iPad when you are in the field and have them automatically synchronized to Lightroom Classic on the other computer. You could edit those images on the iPad while you are in the field if you chose to do so. The work you do on the iPad would affect the images that have been downloaded automatically to Lightroom Classic. Later on if you choose to remove the images from the iPad they would remain in Lightroom Classic.

If, at some later date you had images in Lightroom Classic that you wanted to work on while on a trip, you could put them in a collection and share them. They would be shared as smart previews, not full-sized images. These smart previews will allow you to edit than using Lightroom on the iPad while traveling, and the adjustments made while traveling would affect the master images. This provides you with a lot of flexibility in my opinion. The smart previews can be removed whenever you choose to do so.

As far as  catalog incompatibility is concerned, it's just that plain and simple. A Lightroom 6 .1 catalog is not at all compatible with Lighhtroom for the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. So even if I have past RAW files in different places (external drives and on my Mac), the upgrade automatically puts them in a new catalog? As another question....is it possible to keep 6.1 on the computer as a backup and still run the photo package? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, images are not "in" the catalog. The catalog simply references where the images are located on your computer. If they are spread across different hard drives, that is no problem. I have images on three internal hard drives and two external hard drives. It makes no difference, Lightroom can keep track of images wherever they are. As far as keeping Lightroom 6 as a backup, I don't know why you would want to do that. The catalogs are not compatible. The tools in Lightroom 6 are archaic in comparison to Lightroom Classic. The process version in Lightroom 6 is version 3, a couple of steps back. Lightroom 6 has features, face detection for one, that will no longer work because the technology that was used in that version was licensed as a third party feature that Adobe didn't renew. The code in Lightroom 6 is becoming incompatible with current operating system. There really isn't a rational reason to retain it in my opinion. The work you do using Lightroom 6 isn't accessible in Lightroom Classic and vice versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to resurrect this, but before I do something stupid I'd like to get some input, since I have managed to confuse myself. I have the photo plan and am using LR on the road on my iPad and LRC at home. I don't use LR on my home computer. I currently have synced around 220 RAW files with the cloud. 

1. Where are these stored on my computer, if they are? 

2. If I want to remove them from sync and store them on a external (or internal) drive, how do I do that without losing them? 

3. I realized I also have a Lightroom folder on my Mac. It does not match the number of synced files under "all synced photos". 

4. How do these folders relate to the list of folders under "Collections" that are listed as "From Lightroom"?

I'm sure this all makes sense....since I'm a newbie, it just doesn't to me....TIA. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give some answers (as I know them) and @JP Hess will correct me where I am wrong.

I currently have synced around 220 RAW files with the cloud.

Where they have been 'Imported' has a bearing on answers-

1. Where are these stored on my computer, if they are?

a) If 'synced' from a Lightroom-Classic COLLECTION, then the original raw files are (and remain) in the FOLDER as shown in the Lr-Classic library. Only proxy smaller files sync up to the Cloud and iPad.

b) If 'synced' by adding or importing with the iPad, then the original raws are 'in the Cloud'. And they will also sync down to the LrC system, as the full-size files, in a default folder, OR the folder you specify in Preferences.

2. If I want to remove them from sync and store them on a external (or internal) drive, how do I do that without losing them?

If syncing LrC<>Lr is complete- all the files are in your LrC system folders. You do not lose them by removing them from Lr (Cloud). In LrC You specify the external (or internal) drive folder in Preferences > Lightroom Sync Tab.

3. I realized I also have a Lightroom folder on my Mac. It does not match the number of synced files under "all synced photos".

My understanding!- The 'All Synced Photos' list is a total of the "Lightroom folder" (iPad 'Cloud' files) and LrC Collections (LrC 'local' files) that sync.

4. How do these folders relate to the list of folders under "Collections" that are listed as "From Lightroom"?

The LrC Collections, from Lr, mirror the ALBUMS you see in Lr on the iPad.

"Collections" in LrC ARE NOT FOLDERS! They are simply lists of files that reference the photos stored in Folders.

You might find valuable the free eBooks from the Loightroom Queen-

LIGHTROOM QUEEN eBOOKs

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that's a great start for me. I haven't synced anything from LrC to the cloud. The only things in the cloud were added to LR on the iPad. Those are indeed in the LR folder on my computer. My problem is that after returning from the road, there were files that I hadn't synced to LR, so I just imported all of them into LrC from a card, which put them in a completely different folder where all my directly imported files go, with a different folder for each date. Then when editing them, I edited some from the LrC folder and some from the regular dated folder, so I now have some edited RAW files from the same event, but in several different folders (not sure if this is clear at all, but I'm trying). I also ended up with duplicate files, some from the uploaded synced files that are duplicated in the standard folders that have files from the card. 

If I transfer files from my computer files that are not synced into the LrC folder, will they automatically sync to the cloud? At this point I'm just trying to organize the folders so they make sense. It's unlikely I will ever sync from my computer to the cloud so I can edit on the road; rather, I'll be uploading from the road to the cloud, and once the files are synced and on my computer, I really don't need them in the cloud. I'll just keep working on this and spend some time with the ebooks....thanks so much. Sorry if this is confusing....but I'm confused, so I appreciate the effort....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"...I'll be uploading from the road to the cloud, and once the files are synced and on my computer, I really don't need them in the cloud...."

So to simplify-

1) Import the camera card files to the iPad when you travel.

2) Allow the 'home' LrC catalog to sync and automatically download ALL the Cloud files.

Nothing more! All the files are now IN YOUR LrC Catalog and local Folders.

DO NOT Import the photos a second time to the LrC catalog! This causes much confusion.

3) Your Cloud 'Photography Plan' subscription is possibly 20GB. If you worry about exceeding this limit, then you can Delete files from the Cloud.

See the answer from @JohanElzenga at this forum link-

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-discussions/delete-originals-in-cloud...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines