• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What options should I be able to see in the Lightroom Export dialog under Color Profile>Other?

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I look at the "Other" Color Profile options in the Lightroom Export dialog, I see only a very small subset of my color profiles, and those are specific to printers. Is this normal?

I want to Export a 16-bit TIFF from Lightroom Classic with a gray-scale profile. I can find some Gray color profiles on my system, but none of them show up in the Lightroom Export dialog.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Actually, there is a point to exporting in grayscale. The images I want to export are already grayscale images (16-bit TIFFs); but if I export them as RGB, the file size increases about three times with no benefit that I can think of.

But back to my question, can someone please look at the Color Profile options under "Other" in the Lightroom Export panel, and tell me what you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Ah yeah that is true if you do not compress the tif files. Enabling zip (which is lossless) compression in Lightroom export should give you close to the same file size in an 16-bit RGB file as a 16-bit greyscale tiff. Also greyscale jpegs should be the same size or close to it as the rgb files. I just tried this and a 16-bit RGB tif file from a black and white image is 86 MB while if I convert that to a single channel greyscale image in Photoshop and save as a 16-bit single channel tif with zip

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting is normally done with one of the RGB profiles. The grayscale profile you are referring to I think is chosen in the develop module to assist in editing. It isn't an export profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom's color model is inherently RGB, so it will not export to a gray scale ICC profile. Luckily grayscale images work just fine in RGB color spaces, so there really is no point in exporting to a grayscale profile. Also if you want to export to any other profile than sRGB, Display P3, adobe RGB, or prophotoRGB (for example a printing profile for a printing service), you should use Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Cloudy is not able to do that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, there is a point to exporting in grayscale. The images I want to export are already grayscale images (16-bit TIFFs); but if I export them as RGB, the file size increases about three times with no benefit that I can think of.

But back to my question, can someone please look at the Color Profile options under "Other" in the Lightroom Export panel, and tell me what you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yeah that is true if you do not compress the tif files. Enabling zip (which is lossless) compression in Lightroom export should give you close to the same file size in an 16-bit RGB file as a 16-bit greyscale tiff. Also greyscale jpegs should be the same size or close to it as the rgb files. I just tried this and a 16-bit RGB tif file from a black and white image is 86 MB while if I convert that to a single channel greyscale image in Photoshop and save as a 16-bit single channel tif with zip compression using the Dot gain 20% profile, I get a 73MB image. Hardly a factor of 3. I have not come across any software in the recent decade that doesn't understand zip compressed tif.

On my system in 'other' I see all profiles that are available in /Users/<myusername>/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ that are not display profiles and that are not cymk or greyscale profiles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdl, thank you for checking your "other" profiles.

"On my system in 'other' I see all profiles that are available in /Users/<myusername>/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ that are not display profiles and that are not cymk or greyscale profiles."

So bottom line, it would not possible for you to export a gray scale 16-bit TIFF from Lightroom without converting it to RGB color space, right? 

Yes, I want conserve storage space, but I also want to keep these particular files as close to the originals as possible because they will become my new originals in Lightroom. These files are digital copies of black&white negatives, and already in gray scale so there is no good reason for RGB. My reason for Exporting and then re-Importing back into Lightroom is to use a Lightroom plugin called Negative Lab Pro to modify the metadata to represent the camera, lens, aperture, shutter speed, etc. for the original film camera capture rather than for the digital camera used to copy them. 

Since I am able to Import gray scale files into Lightroom without converting to RGB, I am trying to understand why Adobe does not allow me to export without also converting to RGB.

But it is starting to look like the small gain I would get from having accurate metadata when Exporting from Lightroom to my SmugMug site is not worth the extra hassle of trying to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>So bottom line, it would not possible for you to export a gray scale 16-bit TIFF from Lightroom without converting it to RGB color space, right? 

No, not without plugins. There is a plugin called LR/mogrify that can do it if you wanted. The file will still go through the Lightroom path, so you would get a conversion to RGB and then another conversion back to greyscale. That could cause some losses although with 16 bit precision that is unlikely to be significant. 

Perhaps an alternative is to instead of exporting to another tiff is to export as original and to run that through the Negative Lab Pro thing. That way the file won't get touched. It will just write a bit of Lightroom metadata in the metadata section of the new file but keep the greyscale tiff data from your original file intact. Not sure how the Negative Lab thing works though so not sure if this is a realistic option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic v.9.4 on a desktop Mac. 

What I would like to know is how / why there are only a few of the many profiles on my system displayed in the "Other" Color Profie of the Export menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of the ICC profile, it needs to be in one of a couple of locations for Lightroom to see the profile. Since you can see the printing profiles, then I suggest confirming that the profile you wish to use is in that same folder, and then it should become available under "other."

Without knowing your specific OS, it is difficult to offer a precise location.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines