• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is show in finder?

New Here ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exploring Lightroom on Mac as my new photos application, to simply use for organising my photos.  I downloaded the free version.  I'm totally confused. I understand there is a library, and then there are my original photos on my disk. They both seem to take up the same space.  I don't want this! I simply want an interface into my original photos on disk.  Or do i have to import my orignals into lightroom and then delete them?  How come i can't right-click a photo and see where it's located - where is the option i've seen on the internet 'show in finder'?  Why can't i simply add my folders and Lightroom can read them - seem's i have to create brand new folders (albums?)?  I'm coming from Canon ImageBrowser EX.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Shown in Finder' is a menu option found in Lightroom Classic. Therefore, if you can't see it, and based on some of your other comments, I suspect you've downloaded the wrong version of Lightroom (i.e. you've downloaded Lightroom desktop rather than Lightroom Classic).

Above being said, both versions require that you import your photos. With Lightroom desktop your photos are then uploaded to the Adobe Cloud whereas with Lightroom Classic they continue to reside on your local disk. Unlike ImageBrowser, there is no option in either for simply navigating around your disk, selecting a folder and choosing a photo to look at or edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you definitely should have installed Lightroom Classic. There IS a big difference in the two programs. I'm concerned about one of your comments. One thing that you don't want to do is import your images and then delete them. Images are never "in" Lightroom. Lightroom Classic utilizes a catalog which is a database which keeps track of where the images are located on your computer, as well as all the adjustments that you make to those images. But the catalog does not contain the images. Thee catalog is the backbone of the Lightroom system, and must be backed up on a regular  basis. Your images must also be backed up, but you must implement your own procedure for doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the free version

There is no 'free' version-   Except for a Lightroom App on mobile phones and iPads.

Unless you have paid a subscription, you have a 7-day trial of the software that will then convert to a paid subscription (after 14-days) unless you Cancel the plan with Adobe Support.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks all, and for the quick replies.  Wow, Lightroom Classic is so expensive for my occasional use.  AUD$14.29 per month.  It does have the promise of making my photos look better.  I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines