• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where should I store lightroom catalog?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm looking to put my lightroom catalog on an external drive. I'm currently using a 100mb/s HDD which seems to be working okish.

I'm curious to know if I bought a Samsung T5 (500mb/s SSD) or their new T7 (1000mb/s) if I'd notice any speed improvements? 

If yes would it be worth the extra £50 to jump from the T5 to the T7? How much of a difference will this actually make to loading and editing photos?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Lightroom or Lightroom Classic? Lightroom stores all of your photos in the cloud so you won't need the extra space unless you turn on the option to store a local synced copy. I can't really speak to the speed of the drive though.

if you are using Lightroom Classic, you are probably better off getting a larger external hard drive for your photos and just keep the catalog on the internal drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't realise someone answered me! Thanks for your awnser 😀

I am using lightroom classic. I wanted my catalogue to be on a harddrive so I could use it on any computer (at work or at home). Still not entirely sure if 100mb/s, 500mb/s or 1000mb/s is best for lightroom. I'd assume faster was better but if it's only 5% faster or something, I'd rather save the money. I migjt go halfway and buy the 500mb/a drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need to backup the catalog and previews that are on the internal drive or is keeping one copy on the internal drive sufficient? Also, what about the backups? Where should those be stored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@harrybarnettw wrote:

Do you need to backup the catalog and previews that are on the internal drive or is keeping one copy on the internal drive sufficient? Also, what about the backups? Where should those be stored?

Guess what happens to your catalog if that external drive crashes... You should always make backups of your catalog, and those backups should be on a different drive. Either use Lightroom's built-in catalog backup, or use a general backup utility, but do it.  Previews do not need to be backed up. Lightroom can rebuild them if needed.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The faster the drive, the faster Lightroom Classic will be. I can't give you any solid figures, but I think changing from 100 mb/sec to 500 mb/sec will give you a good speed increase, while going to 1000 mb/sec might not be that much faster anymore. It also depends on the speed of the USB ports in your computer.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines