Highlighted

Dynamiclinkmediaserver at >100%

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a Mid 2018 MacBook Pro with i9 Processor + 32GB RAM and as soon as I start, and long after I close, Lightroom CC for Mac 2.0 the dynamiclinkmediaserver starts up and uses >100% of CPU resources and the fans start whirring to try and keep things cool!

I assume this does not hog so much resource by design so how do I stop it?

Peter H

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dynamiclinkmediaserver at >100%

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a Mid 2018 MacBook Pro with i9 Processor + 32GB RAM and as soon as I start, and long after I close, Lightroom CC for Mac 2.0 the dynamiclinkmediaserver starts up and uses >100% of CPU resources and the fans start whirring to try and keep things cool!

I assume this does not hog so much resource by design so how do I stop it?

Peter H

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear that, as dynamic link server is consuming the resources, could you please let us know if you have any other Adobe application installed on the macbook?

Also, could you please try creating a new user account for testing purpose and let us know if you experience the same issue there?macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil

Currently running Photoshop, Lightroom, Rush, InDesign, Illustrator, Bridge, Acrobat

Tried a test user account and do not get this issue with dynamiclinkmediaserver?

Peter H

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is working fine on the new user account, it seems that there is an issue with the permissions.

Could you please try the steps mentioned on this article and let us know if it helps? Solutions to Adobe Lightroom Lightroom user permission issues on launch

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil

Solution 2:

/Users/[user name]/Documents/Adobe/ does not exist as the Document folder is in /Users/peterhawkes/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs

If I try and create a folder inside my Username the message comes up that it already exists.

Apart from that all folders, including iCloud, had Read Write set

Solution 3:

Ran script succesfully but no change to issue.

Your thoughts please!?

Peter H

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil

Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

Peter H

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I get this issue too when using Premiere Pro. I have the full Creative Suite but never use Lightroom or Illustrator, Indesign rarely, Photoshop often and Bridge is always open. This only happens with PP. I am on a 2015 Macbook Pro with the latest OS update.

So it seems it is a general Adobe issue, not a Lightroom one?

David

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello!

what is this dynamiclinkmediaserver?? it use heavy CPU..

.Sahil.Chawla

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 9.10.30.png

its under adobe directory

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 9.46.21.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue with Lightroom Classic - 100% CPU even after quitting.  Much worse after the recent upgrades and migration to Catalina.

The permission script does nothing, as none of those folders exist.

Adobe, this appears to have been an issue for years...how about a real fix?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Lhotka did you ever figure anything out? I have a 19 Macbook Pro maxed out. Lightroom CC & Classic installed and even after I quit the program 'thisdynamiclinkmediaserver' is still running and sounds like my fan is about to explode.... This is pretty unprofessional of Adobe when your paying money every month. Its no May 2020 and I'm reading of this issue from 11/19 and maybe earlier. I was able to manually force quit it - but that's the thing - why should I have to? When we quit Lightroom products 'if' dynamiclinkmediaserver is truly needed it should stop working as well. At first, I thought it was Google Chrome but this morning I realized it was this program. ANYway - hope this is fixed soon so I don't have to keep manually force quitting the program.....  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact symptoms, here! My CPU is running at 100% without doing a thing. I have Lightroom Classic and Photoshop open and idle. CPU is pegged at 100% and fan is blasting. I have a brand new MacBook Pro 16" 2019. Just uploaded latest Lr and Ps versions via subscription. Adobe, wake up and fix this! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this page as I was googling around for this same issue I'm having right now on my Mac Retina 27'' with OSX Catalina. It's frustrating to see this has been a known issue for a while 😞 
My mac was hyperventilating in pain today as dynamilinkmediaserver reached 99.7% CPU usage with all apps closed. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have just found the simple solution. 

[edited this reply and posted as answer to the initial message]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine just keeps crashing when I'm in lightroom classic. I don't know if it's the CPU thing or not. I have the whole suite. All the programs that will run on windows 7.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have just found the simple solution. 

According to the info I'm finding around, this process is related to indexing video files. So you might never encounter the issue if you don't have videos in your Lightroom collection.

I tried renaming the file (dynamiclinkmediaserver-stop) and Lightroom opened normally with no issues. The file doesn't get recreated and I was still able to navigate my video folder inside Lightroom without a problem.
That process is no longer in my Activity Monitor now.

I'll keep it this way and monitor any possible issue. Hopefully that's all it takes to fix this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helpful bit about the video files - that's predominatly what I'm working with at the moment.

However, I tried renaming the dynamicmediaserver to dynamicmediaserver-stop and it worked for 1-import (predominantly small video files shot on a GoPro total of 41 altogether) and then the import hung up again and stopped

Yet a NEW dynamicmediaserver folder was created (along side the old dynamicmediaserver-stop) and dynamicmediaserver is consuming 100%+ of my CPU (Mac Pro - Catalina 10.15.2 64GB RAM 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Lightroom has been closed for days and my computer was running slow. Was curious what was causing my computer to freeze while running only a web browser. Opened up Task Manager and sure enough dynamiclinkmediaserver was running at Very High power usage. I'm on the same  boat with everybody else. The adobe suite (premiere pro, lightroom, and photoshop, after affects) have been useless the past 3-5 years because of this. This is all happening ever after buying a brand new computer and building it msyelf.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines