Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues wit ICC profile in Lightroom and Photoshop

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am experiencing trouble in printing properly. I first noticed it on pictures with intense red, that appeared on the print very orange. 

My material:

- imac and second monitor BENQ PD2700U, calibrated using Spyder 5 pro

- printer: Canon PRO 10S

- paper: Lumiere Prestige Perle

I have downloaded the following image for test: 

http://www.jirvana.com/printer_tests/PrinterEvaluationImage_V002.zip

When opening the file with Preview, and printing (using ICC profile Can_pro-10_LumPrest-310-Perle_PPPS, other settings to standard), I get a print very close to what I have on my screen.

But when importing the same image to Lightroom, and printing it, using the same ICC profile, results are totally different. In Lightroom, the display on the screen is comparable to what I see with Preview, and when I use the print proofing, it is very comparable to what I have previously printed (via Preview). In printing module, I only select the ICC profile but you can see on the picture below that it is very different. The first image is printed from Preview, the second is from Lightroom (I know that the scanner might have changed a bit the color, but still the difference is huge, as you can see on the strawberries and the color shade).

Scans of sample image printed via Preview and Lightroom.jpeg

Can someone help me? I am probably missing some basic settings somewhere in the printing module, but cant find where. I also tried to print from Photoshop, and I had the exact same result as from Photoshop.

Best,

JM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

What you are describing probably means the printer driver is still color managing even if you selected a profile in Lightroom. This is very common unfortunately. Typically to fix one needs to delete the printer from the printer control panel and reinstall it using the latest drivers but sometimes just having the exact right sequence of which print panels to open fixes it and disables the color management in the driver. You should see the "colorsync" and Canon Color Matching options greyed out in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which 'Intent' did you use in Lightroom (underneath the choice of the color profile)? This image has some highly saturated colors, and its color space is ProPhotoRGB. That means that using 'Preceptive' as rendering intent may shift a lot of colors. Try it again using 'Relative' and see if that improves it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was using relative.

I will try both

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the same. I cant see any difference on the prints

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your settings in the Printer dialog? Lightroom and Photoshop both do full color management, so you have to make sure that the printer driver is not doing it as well.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually there is no possibility to change the option. Colorsync is checked, but both options are greyed.

I always wondered if it was normal as it differs from within Lightroom and from standard Mac OS dialog.

screenshot from Printer Setting from Lightroom (in french)

jimdoe44300_0-1587918845085.png

while from standard print dialog (launch from Preview), I have more options:

jimdoe44300_2-1587919095540.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not tried before as this is the opposite of what I read everywhere (let Lightroom or PS manage color)... but if I set Color Management to "Managed by Printer", then I manually choose the ICC profile (printer / paper) in the dialog box, the print is perfect.

So does it means that the problem comes from the way LR reads the profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are describing probably means the printer driver is still color managing even if you selected a profile in Lightroom. This is very common unfortunately. Typically to fix one needs to delete the printer from the printer control panel and reinstall it using the latest drivers but sometimes just having the exact right sequence of which print panels to open fixes it and disables the color management in the driver. You should see the "colorsync" and Canon Color Matching options greyed out in the print settings dialog as well as the options in the Color options dialog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that there must be some way to disable ColorSync. I use the Canon Pixma Pro 100, and I'm able to do that in the printer driver. However, I'm sure the drivers are different. If you cannot disable that feature then you are going to have to allow the pressure to manage the color. Otherwise, you are going to experience double color management, and that is why you experience the shift in color in your prints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks All for help and advice,

will try full reinstall of printer and device, and will keep you posted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have started with reinstalling the pilot.... 

It works as you can see on the scan below (on the left,  before reinstalling, on the right, with reinstalling latest driver) 

new driver.jpeg

Thanks for your help.

JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad the problem is fixed now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

just a short note, when selecting the profile in the right pane, the printer options are still greyed out.
But still, as it is now working as expected, it is not a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines