Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 4 to Lightroom CC

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a new Imac, to which I migrated all data from my old computer, including an extensive Lightroom 4 Catalog. I have many photos and am concerned I do this properly. I am backed up to Time Machine.

I subsequently downloaded the new subscription-based LR CC but have not used it. I have continued using LR 4. I'm ready to change over to LR CC but don't see how. I only see onine info about transferring files between LR Classic and LR CC. Is the transfer from 4- CC do-able without an interim step?

When I opened LR CC, there was no catalog showing. I think I want to simply changeover to the new LR but am also unsure about working with icloud. I think the original photos remain on my HD regardless, it that true? Do I have the option to continue that without migrating all photos to icloud?

In any case, I am no longer able to download my Nikon images to the new IOS and it appears I can only do so now putting them into LR CC.

I bet I've asked too many questions in one but I can't afford to lose five years of photos!!!

Thanks so much!

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

After you install Lightroom Classic CC, when you start it for the first time it will find your Lightroom 4 catalog and prompt you to upgrade it. You should allow it to do so. Lightroom Classic CC will go through the process of creating a new copy of the catalog and will add a -2 to the name of that catalog. Your Lightroom 4 catalog will remain intact, and will still be usable by Lightroom 4. All the work you did in Lightroom 4 should now be accessible using Lightroom Classic CC in this new updat

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC is primarily a cloud-based program. But it will only transfer photos from a catalog created by Lightroom Classic CC. It will not read the catalog created by your Lightroom 4. If you want to switch to Lightroom CC you could install the trial version of Lightroom Classic CC long enough to convert your catalog to the new format, and then Lightroom CC would be able to migrate your images to the cloud. Be aware, however, that Lightroom CC doesn't have all the functions that you may be accustomed to. There is no print module, for instance. It is a much more mobile environment than what you might consider "traditional" Lightroom. If all you have is Lightroom CC then you will not be able to use your images on your hard drive. They will be stored in the cloud, and will be accessible on all your mobile devices, i.e. your phone, your iPad or other similar devices, etc. And they will be available immediately. You will be able to view them and edit them on all of these devices as well as your computer.

By contrast, Lightroom Classic CC gives you the capability of creating collections that you can share using the cloud, but the images remain on your hard drive. Lightroom continues to function the way you have been using it. Lightroom Classic CC has all the functionality you have become accustomed to and more. The Creative Cloud photography plan includes Lightroom CC which you can install and use as well and compare the two programs. This way you can get a feel for the new technology in Lightroom CC and watch it grow and develop. If it's what you want then you can eventually switch over to it. I have both programs installed on my computer but find that Lightroom Classic CC is better suited for what I do.

And just as a further point of clarification, Lightroom CC cannot in any way interact with Lightroom 4 or its catalog. The catalog must be upgraded to the Lightroom Classic CC level before it can be migrated to Lightroom CC. If you have Lightroom Classic CC there is some interaction. But my experience is that one can become confused (i.e. drive themselves crazy) if they expect complete or even reasonable coordination between the two programs. In other words, don't expect the two programs to work together. Adobe doesn't even recommend that at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

This is very helpful. Thank you. I decided to download LR Classic. I read further on that program ( vs. CC) and realize that as I primarily use my harddrive, which backs up automatically through Time Machine, and I DON'T share my images across various platforms, I should have focused on Classic in the first place. I understand what you're saying (I think) about not being able to transfer my images from 4 direct to CC, so this should resolve that as well, right?

Next issue now, is how to successfully tether my Nikon D7000 to the IMAC using High Sierra and Classic.  Lightroom CC didn't see the camera at all, which I understand it never would, right..I will check the camera and make sure it's current on software.

Am I getting this right so far? Is there a link for updating the LR catalog 4 and its preferences to Classic, or is that pretty straightforward?

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you install Lightroom Classic CC, when you start it for the first time it will find your Lightroom 4 catalog and prompt you to upgrade it. You should allow it to do so. Lightroom Classic CC will go through the process of creating a new copy of the catalog and will add a -2 to the name of that catalog. Your Lightroom 4 catalog will remain intact, and will still be usable by Lightroom 4. All the work you did in Lightroom 4 should now be accessible using Lightroom Classic CC in this new updated catalog. If everything goes as it should, it is a seamless update of the catalog. It was for me. After you have confirmed that everything is functioning as it should in Lightroom Classic CC and you decide that you no longer need Lightroom 4, you can safely uninstall the old program if you decide that is what you want to do. Lightroom Classic CC does not depend on it for anything.

There is no support for tethered shooting in Lightroom CC. But if you are familiar with tethered shooting in Lightroom 4 then you should be right at home with Lightroom Classic CC because I don't think much has changed. My camera is capable of tethered shooting, but I have never tried it. I might do so someday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim,

Will do!!! If one left 4 intact, are the two sharing the same catalog? No

confusion there? I do have 4 on a laptop and an older OS. Thought I might

keep 4 on the new machine but don't want to if there is ANY room for

confusion.

Any how about that Lightroom CC? Might as well trash it? Would it then

share the same catalog too?

Thank you. This is great.

Mary

Mary G. DuLude

c 203-206-5819

maryg.dulude@gmail.com

4 West Chestnut Hill Road

PO Box 1171

Litchfield, Connecticut 06759

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC (the cloud-based version) does NOT share any catalog on your computer. You can use the program if you choose to do so. It can be configured to download images that you import or load into it and store full-sized copies on your hard drive, and they will automatically be added to your Lightroom Classic CC catalog. But that's for you to explore and learn to understand on your own if you choose to do so. It isn't necessary. That part of Lightroom is entirely up to you to choose whether or not you want to use it. Lightroom CC has no catalog on your computer, other than a knowledge of your Lightroom Classic CC catalog if you choose to synchronize. Synchronizing is different from migrating your catalog, and I won't get into that. If you ever want to learn about Lightroom CC, or even Lightroom Classic CC, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube you can watch to get more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All set!!! Thanks Jim

Mary G. DuLude

c 203-206-5819

maryg.dulude@gmail.com

4 West Chestnut Hill Road

PO Box 1171

Litchfield, Connecticut 06759

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines