Highlighted

Missing sidecar xmp files in Lightroom Downloader

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Anyone else having difficulty in downloading the sidecar xmp files after edits done using Lightroom, using the Adobe Lightroom Downloader app? I don't know if the problem for me is on the client, account, or desktop side, but the client version is Lightroom on iPad.

I have the Mobile Premium subscription. I can download the original DNG, but the edits made on iPad don't come through. Adobe support insist its a subscription problem for Apple to solve - they think I have only 2GB (although lightroom.adobe says I have 100GB), of which I am using only 15GB.

Also, I see no actual download links on lightroom.adobe.com web view of the photos or albums (only sharing options, which I think produce jpgs?).

I hadn't used the app or download for a while, and initially it wouldn't sync properly, so I updated it today plus cleared out the ~/Library/.../Adobe Lightroom Downloader folders. Still no luck though.

I've read here that there can be issues if the raw images were edited before the upload to Adobe. Although I'm using old stock I don't think there were edited (there were certainly no external xmp files)

I'd be grateful if anyone thinks this is a normal experience, or even better, how I can get the file mods. I've given up on Adobe support with this, and  I'm pretty close to cancelling the subscription and shifting to apps and storage that I can directly control.

thanks lots!

VB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Missing sidecar xmp files in Lightroom Downloader

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Anyone else having difficulty in downloading the sidecar xmp files after edits done using Lightroom, using the Adobe Lightroom Downloader app? I don't know if the problem for me is on the client, account, or desktop side, but the client version is Lightroom on iPad.

I have the Mobile Premium subscription. I can download the original DNG, but the edits made on iPad don't come through. Adobe support insist its a subscription problem for Apple to solve - they think I have only 2GB (although lightroom.adobe says I have 100GB), of which I am using only 15GB.

Also, I see no actual download links on lightroom.adobe.com web view of the photos or albums (only sharing options, which I think produce jpgs?).

I hadn't used the app or download for a while, and initially it wouldn't sync properly, so I updated it today plus cleared out the ~/Library/.../Adobe Lightroom Downloader folders. Still no luck though.

I've read here that there can be issues if the raw images were edited before the upload to Adobe. Although I'm using old stock I don't think there were edited (there were certainly no external xmp files)

I'd be grateful if anyone thinks this is a normal experience, or even better, how I can get the file mods. I've given up on Adobe support with this, and  I'm pretty close to cancelling the subscription and shifting to apps and storage that I can directly control.

thanks lots!

VB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no sidecar files for DNG format because Lightroom can write the info into the file. The edit info is still non destructive, but not saved externally.

Are you downloading the original files on a computer? If so you can view them with Bridge and you should see the edits. If you open the files in camera raw you will see your edits. You will need Photoshop to open them in camera raw. It’s not clear what applications you have, or how you are downloading the originals. If you are using an iPad only I don’t think there is a way for you to see the edits in the raw file.

All sharing options provide jpegs, not originals.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for clarification on the sharing, much appreciated, that will save me some time.

I follow your thinking about the edits not being parsed by a viewer. Sadly, I can open the files in Bridge and ACR from PS CS6 on Mac. The ones I tested are unmodified.

The link below is a bit old, but it suggests that the sidecars would be separate (I think LR CC can embed them in the raw), but one way or another I'd hope them to be there

https://forums.adobe.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fhelpx.adobe.com%2Fin%2Flightroom-cc%2F...

Maybe I'll try with some fresher files....

Thanks!

VB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure that using the downloader app you do not get any edits in xmp or embedded in dngs and jpegs. You just get the originals without sidecars. The only way to get the edits is to export (i.e. save to .. file type original+settings") them from Lightroom cloud.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. most of the edits in the xmp if you get them out will not be read by ACR in PS CS6. That is just way too old and you won't get the same rendering.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I agree I need to re-verify edit information with another application to be sure. Given my current problem I feel hesitant to try out a subscription for the full LR CC application....I'll have to go 3rd party. I wanted to use the Mobile Premium approach to see how well the subscription and support work for me with problems like this,....

You may well be correct in practice about the xmp files not being downloaded, but the link I posted is very clear that XMP files should be downloaded.

But I also think there may be a gap in my knowledge.....by Lightroom cloud, do you mean the lightroom website where I can see my photos? Here I cannot see any export or save-to options...if they should be here could you please describe exactly where I should see them?

with thanks

VB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Lightroom Cloud I mean the app on the desktop that used to be called Lightroom CC and is now called just Lightroom. However to the entire world, the word "Lightroom" refers to "Lightroom Classic" and so to avoid confusion, I append "cloud" - short for "Lightroom - the cloud based photo service". Adobe really messed up with the naming of these products and made it extremely confusing.

Anyway, the desktop version of Lightroom (cloud) has a save to function that you can choose original+settings in . This will give you the raws + the xmp files. The downloader app doesn't do this as far as I know.

Note that there also is Lightroom Classic on the desktop which works just fine with mobile Lightroom and is way more full featured than Lightroom cloud (it can actually print images and export to anything else than sRGB jpegs!) but it doesn't store all images in the cloud and relies on local image storage

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The downloader app should provide a fail-safe method of getting all originals and edit settings from the cloud. For jpeg and similar pixel files it should produce an original and an edited version. For raw files it should produce an original + xmp sidecar. Clearly there is something wrong with the app. I believe Adobe is aware and working on a fix. So watch this space.

There is an added complication when using the mobile app only; at least with the free version. In that situation everything is stored in the phone or tablet app and not in the cloud. However I’m not sure at what point cloud sync gets completed if a customer moves from a free app to an in-app purchase of premium features. So there could be more than one issue here.

You could consider, going forward, switching to a direct subscription for either the Lightroom plan or a photography plan which would first require a cancellation at the app store subscriptions. Although I can understand your reluctance until the downloader is working as intended.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - thanks for the clarifications, much appreciated. The names of the products are a bit confused.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 99jon, much appreciated.

I've had the in-app paid subscription for a long time, and I can see the edited photos on the web page. They just don't appear to come with the side-car (or 'in-car') edits in this case. As mentioned earlier, I'll do a couple of more verification tests hopefully this evening, maybe from a different client computer.

As for the subscriptions, about from hearing the various problems with being able to cancel, I have heard that the Mobile storage is somehow different from the main LR plans, i.e. there's no conversion or file transfer. So even if were to try, I'd be taking the risk of losing the edited raw material. Realistically, I think this is likely to happen anyway, but if it does I'll be darned if I'll continue to pay Adobe for the privilege

But I'll try a bit more and meanwhile Adobe support may also come up with something.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines