• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why did you name it the same bloody thing?!

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it that whenever i want to find help on a topic, or i have a bug, or anything like that, ALL i can find is stuff for lightroom CC (now classic)
I realise in a year or two the answers might be more relevent, but what a stupid move.
Adobe cloudroom
Adobe Photos
Adobe literally anything except for the exact same name as the previous program.

"choose what happens when you connect this device:
import to lightroom CC
import to lightroom CC 1.0
browse files
open in photoshop"

Guess which one of those lightroom options imports to lightroom CC (hint, the answer is niether, but it took me three attempts to work that out)

/salt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamziboy,

Sorry about the inconvenience caused. We understand that the similar names for these applications might be confusing but they differ in functionality and purpose. Please refer this third party website where the same topic is covered in detail: What's in a Name - Clearing Up Confusion over Lightroom Application Names | Laura Shoe's Lightroom T...

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long time Adobe user here (actually started in the Macromedia days) including Lr ver 1.

Paid nearly $3000 for Suite at one time with $1000 updates.

Now a Suite subscription customer - since it was first introduces.

Point - I'm an Adobe fan.

However: They really screwed-the-pooch with this Lr naming mess.

Us understanding the differences doesn't mitigate their screw up - IMO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refer this third party website where the same topic is covered in detail:

Not really.

Laura Shoe's website explains the what about the new names. The question in this thread is why - which I guess we'll never know. Adobe will never explain it.

Even Laura signs off with:

"It’s a shame we have to expend so much time trying to clear up confusion over these naming decisions by Adobe – it certainly would have been easier if they had given the new cloud-based baby a unique name, such as Lightroom Cloud – but they didn’t."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps if we continue to ask that the name be changed they will change it. Over the years the names of Adobe apps (especially mobile) have changed without a blink. Time to tweet, post and request en masse for a relevant less confusing name...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two years on and the naming of this software is still just as confusing and painful. I am a NEW user to Lightroom. I didn't know the difference between the two versions beyond one is cloud based cross platform and one is local desktop. Of course I installed the new one, expecting it to have all the old features with the addition of cross platform and cloud service integrated right?

Let me repeat I had no experience in either software...

I quickly found myself trying to figure out things like, when previewing photos on an SD card before importing, how can I view anything but a small thumbnail? Or, after taking several steps to permanently delete a photo, why was it not actually deleted from my specified local storage path? (Yes I am actually deleting the photo, then permanently deleting, not just removing from an album, or just deleting but not permanently deleting!)

I went to google looking for an answers and of course most of the answers and tutorials online are referring to Lightroom Classic CC, but perhaps posted in an old video or website that hasn't been relabelled.

It has severely handicapped community based support for the software.

Who renames the OLD software and makes a NEW and DIFFERENT software using the SAME OLD name? It's the most stupid idea. For a new user, it is so frustrating that I am uninstalling and will just install classic so the info I look up online will actually be about the software I have installed.

I also turned to Reddit, a community based forum, for help. Despite stating clearly that I am using Lightroom CC not Lightroom Classic CC, half the community still couldn't work out what version I was using and I had all sorts of conflicting answers and advice.

This is my gripe just about the name of the software. What's even more annoying is that I am discovering that a lot of the features and functionality are watered down. How do I know this as a new user? Because I am constantly accidentally reading/wtaching all this info about Lightroom Classic CC, that is still labelled as Lightroom CC.

Excellent example, why are there not several views types available when previewing photos BEFORE import in the new Lightroom CC?

Oh...Hang on, it's cloud based software and all photos are uploaded to the cloud... Basic subsciption has a low storage limit... You pay through the teeth compared to any other storage service for an upgrade.... I get it! They want you to import everything THEN sort through it so you intially use up more storage!

Imagine you have 10gb of space left on the cloud storage and you have 30gb photos on a card. You don't have the money to spend on more cloud storage so of course you want to preview the photos properly and import only the files you really want. Well, sorry, no, not possible with Lightroom CC, small thumbnails only. Either use another software to sort them first, or pay for more space, just to view a photo properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines