• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding mixamo animations, mixamo rigs, blender actions? Are they immisible?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having so much fun with Mixamo and its character animations, so thanks for providing this resource!

Mixamo animations seem, mostly, to be straightforward to use, except for the odd fringe case.

So, I upload a character to Mixamo, rig it with Mixamo, then download a group of fbx animations, with the view of stitching them together.

I have done this successfully, previously, using tutorials off YouTube, but the approach in the tutorial relies upon animation motions (actions) that blend between the last frame of the first action and the first frame of the second action.  That is, you do not need manual interpolation of reposes in between actions.

I am having a problem blending animations that do not blend nicely between the last frame of action and the first frame of the next action.

I was looking at how to blend them if there are a few frames in between.   I was thus looking at how to interpolate between actions, either automatically in blender, or by a series of handcrafted poses.   

Converting the animations to blender actions, via the Action Editor in blender, seemed to be step 1 (similarly to the tutorial I was using).   

Step 2 might have been, to have a few frames between the two actions, and for blender to automatically interpolate between the two actions (last frame of first action, to first frame of second).  I am still trying to get to understand how that, or if that, works.  That's a blender problem, so not for this post.

Meanwhile, it occurred to me that I could just add a Mixamo control rig in blender, using the Mixamo add-on, and then pose may way between the two actions.

The issue, when I add the Mixamo control rig to my armature, the actions (from the saved Mixamo animations) do not run any more?   They are happy to run if the Mixamo control rig has not been added to the armature.

The actions are still in the blender assets.  They just don't appear connected to the armature anymore. 

Indeed, it isn't clear that they can be connected to the armature, since multiple attempts have not succeeded in reattaching the actions, or if they are attached, the animation still does not run.

Is the issue that the control rig now has control of the armature? Does that mean, the actions need now be placed on the control rig and not directly on the armature?  Does that even make sense, as the transforms on the control rig may be different to those applied to the armature, since the control rig will likely be offset from the armature? 

So, is it the case that you either use Mixamo animations, and stitch as best you can, if the actions blend out of the box?  Is then the case you either use Mixamo animations or the Mixamo rig, but not both?

TOPICS
Animation Controls , Character

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first of all Blender is the wrong tool for the job of Blending... a true machinima like Iclone, Unity or Unreal are much better options

assuming you must use Blender then the control rig is only for making small adjustments to a single animation and other 3rd party scripts like Expy-Kit-v052 are the best way forward

in any even goto the Blender [unreal, unity, iclone] forums... this is all covered well in their tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am taking that to mean that you do not know why the Mixamo rig, supplied by Mixamo, and when using the Mixamo addon, supplied by Mixamo (or at least Adobe), sees the Mixamo animation, supplied by Mixamo, broken?

I assume then, by your opinion, Adobe will be dropping the blender addon, and people using Blender are not welcome at the Mixamo site?

I'll take your suggestion, to Blender forums, to warn them that Mixamo is now Blender-unfriendly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines