• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshp Beta (25.4.0.2439) Program Error when Duplicating Layer to different document

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Beta 25.4.0 Release.

Right clicking on layer and selecting "duplicate" then setting the destination to a different document results in a "Could not complete the Duplicate Layer command because of a program error.

However, the duplication does occur correctly.

cesarcintron_0-1703291161918.png

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

@Bog22  v25.3.1 is the latest release (as opposed to Beta) version and does not show this issue

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Share this internally & the team is working on it. Please add your votes from the top of the post.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
57 Comments
Participant ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate layer to a different document doesn't work

25.4.0.2434 - works fine

25.4.0.2439 - doesn't work

Try duplicating a layer to a different document. An error is shown, but the layer is duplicated - it doesn't create an entry in the hostory though. See the video for details. Please fix.

20231222_020702_757_Photoshop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can recreate that on Windows 11.  I can duplicate to a New document, but choose an existing open document fails and puts up the error message.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the second post I have seen on this.  I tested and had the same result, so we should consider it a known problem that is being worked on.  

I usually work with the beta version, but between this and other issues — mainly that the Pen tool is not working properly — the beta version is currently unusable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't move my text png to my open image that i'm editing. Only happens since Beta update.  Error says I can't use the move tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davidg51 try reporting the issue in the Photoshop (Beta) forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , I've moved your post from the Photoshop forum to the Photoshop Beta forum where you are more likely to get help with your issue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

25.4.0 Adobe Photoshop Beta - when trying to use the move tool with the alt key (Windows) to create a copy and move it to a different file, I get the error message: "could not use the move tool because of a program error"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue.  It is possible to Duplicate to a New document, but not to another open document.  Fortunately, we can still drag a layer up to the tab of another open document, which is the way I think most of us do it anyway, because it is quicker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After latest update to Ps beta, I am unable to drag and drop layers from one open file to another. Not sure if this function is currently under update or what, but it diesn't work for now (Dec 26). Anyone else have this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...that's what I was trying to do (drag a layer to the tab of an open file (jpg and or psd)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jrtonner 

You don't need the Alt key. When you move a layer from one document to another, the default is to copy.

Optional: Hold down the Shift key after you start to drag and release it after you let go of the mouse. This will center the layer in the other document.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, since the last build, I can no longer drag a layer from one doc to another, using the tabs. I can copy and paste, and one person said that if you have the photos tiled, you can drag a layer, but I haven't tried that yet, as I don't like tiling the docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known issue.  The full release version is working OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as of a few days before Christmas, the only way I could move an open image onto another open image was to first "select it" and then copy & paste.  That's ridiculous!  That has never before been the case and I have been using Photoshop since March, 1990.  This procedure still works as it should in the regular Photoshop.  I'm using Photoshop Beta v25.4.0.2439 on Windows 11 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are a few workarounds, but that's not what we expect from Adobe (beta or not).  Especially when v25.4.0.2439 worked fine until 3-4 days before Christmas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stu32314935j7it  wrote: that's not what we expect from Adobe (beta or not)

Possibly you don't understand the purpose of a public beta, Stu. It's to find and report bugs and other issues to the product team so they are less likely to make it into the released version.

Jane

janee_0-1703792328881.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I understand just fine, but it makes no sense whatsoever when a beta is working in harmony with the way the regular Photoshop versions work, and then it is changed without rhyme or reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way it has been explained by Adobe employees on this forum in the past, is that Photoshop is made of a library of modules.  A whole series of smaller apps which combine to make a whole.  Changing one can have unforeseen affects on another, and because of the complexity of an app like Photoshop, it might need an army of testers (us) to uncover bugs.  We have a choice don't forget.  Right now I am choosing not to use the beta version, mainly because of the Pen tool issue, but I'll got right back to making it my default version when that has been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, by choosing not to use the Beta, you won't be doing your part to correct the problem.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Share this internally & the team is working on it. Please add your votes from the top of the post.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Hope it gets treated soon. Not sure but it might start giving error messages as well if you just keep trying to drag and drop several times... though this might be caused by something else as well, since error msg is not specified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem as well, making this version completely unusable for my workflow.

Is there a way to downgrade to the exact previous version? When I select "other versions" I only get 25.3, which then prompts me with an unremovable notification right on top of the documents bar, that I need to upgrade. An option to roll back to the previous version (not like 5-6 releases back) would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate