Exit

Select subject tool

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS Beta 25.8.0

Win10 Pro 19045.4353  Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

I can't say for sure when I noticed this but sometime in the last few months, the "Subject Selection" has been giving me strange random holes in subjects selected that it wasn't doing last year. I'm not sure sure if it's specific to the beta or happening in the regular release as well. I'll do some further testing later with the regular release. 

I've been working to reproduce it consistently enough to predict it but not having a lot of success. I can't find anything consistent.  For example, making an adjustment in ACR either way may or may not increase, decrease or even relocate holes in the selection. 

Common sense would tell me that this might happen with an area that's either blown out or horribly underexposed but it doesn't seem to trend towards one or the other. Nothing in the spot(s) unselected indicates that it's anything but random. If anything it tends to lean a bit towards middle grey but that's speculation I have yet to start tracking.

To add to it, making changes to the image and then selecting the subject again will often change the spot(s) sizes and locations, but not always. When it moves and reshapes, nothing in the colors has changed at all. 

Resizing also impacts it but in no predictable way. Scale up or down and the holes will move to other random places and in other shapes. Scale up a 1200 ppi image to 2400, different result. Downsize it back to 1200 and the holes will appear in different places.

But undo back to the the previous and select the subject again and it reselects the same area as though there is "something" specific triggering it.

Save it, close PS, relaunch, open the image, select subject and again the same holes in the same shapes and places. Save it as a bitmap, jpeg, psd, png, it almost doesn't matter. But save it as a gif, close it, open the gif, change the mode to RGB and it will select the item without problem. But then it only has 256 colors. So the complex color information seemed to be the underlying issue. So I converted to greyscal and tried again. It STILL left holes but in a different place. Adjusting the sliders when converting to black & White will alter the shape and location but the shade of grey selected is never the same.  

I'm at a complete loss trying to find some kind of  recognizable cause or a sensible workaround. There's no pattern I can discern. Anytime I come up with a new hypothesis, it gets proven wrong almost immediately. The one thing that has seemed to do it is to push the exposure up in ACR until the whites all over begin to blow out which isn't a solution. 
I know... simple... "just add to the selection with the lasso."... lol But after working with Adobe the last 26 years or so I want to help when and where I can. 🙂
I've spent about 30 hours the last two weeks trying to nail this one down though and I'm stumped. 

Here's some examples. I had several more but the board limited me to 10 images. 
Note: These are not my images. Some are my daughters and the others are grabs off the internet as I wanted to try white silk for testing. I'm pretty sure that troubleshooting using public images constitutes fair use. 

I put some notes in the images themselves when I uploaded them. Not sure where they display. 

selection change depending on outside cropped area. Note the small blue section on her left shoulder is not deselected here.selection change depending on outside cropped area. Note the small blue section on her left shoulder is not deselected here.a bit more right arm cutting the shoulder off resulted in the hole vanishing.a bit more right arm cutting the shoulder off resulted in the hole vanishing.expanding to a place somewhere between the two gave this mess. Still missing the blue sky in the hair though.expanding to a place somewhere between the two gave this mess. Still missing the blue sky in the hair though.selection change depending on outside cropped area. This is almost right. It DID select the blue sky seen through the hair. But it did leave a tiny hole in the right armpit. Easy enough to deal with but why?selection change depending on outside cropped area. This is almost right. It DID select the blue sky seen through the hair. But it did leave a tiny hole in the right armpit. Easy enough to deal with but why?2024-04-23 14 34 50.pngmore neck but less  bottom resulted in this.more neck but less bottom resulted in this.smaller 300ppi image from my daughter's phone. This is not blown out at all.smaller 300ppi image from my daughter's phone. This is not blown out at all.Moved to ACR and reduced exposure. Result is more area of a roughly middle grey delected along with the lower left portion.Moved to ACR and reduced exposure. Result is more area of a roughly middle grey delected along with the lower left portion.back and reran the select subject toolback and reran the select subject toolPushed exposure UP in ACR. problem disappeared. note the center-left area is now blown out and detail is lost. So lack of detail is not a trigger.Pushed exposure UP in ACR. problem disappeared. note the center-left area is now blown out and detail is lost. So lack of detail is not a trigger.

Autodidactic Attention Deficit Disordered Polymath
TOPICS
Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sleerfnivek please update to the latest beta and confirm the issue is still there or not.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 25.9.0 20240417.m.2590 45fa5ee arm64

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sleerfnivek we would love to investigate the issue you're seeing. If you would please email the file to me at nicollet@adobe.com

Thank you!
Hannah Nicollet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on PS 25.7.0, Mac Sonoma 14.4.1 and I have been having the same issue for about 2 months maybe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Katherine31465128agzn

We would love to try and reproduce the issue people are seeing. If you have a file that I could use for testing purposes to see if I can reproduce the holes you're seeing with Select Subject, please email it to me at nicollet@adobe.com.

Thanks a lot!
Hannah Nicollet
QE, Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Katherine31465128agzn, are you talking about Ps release version or Ps beta? This forum is for Ps beta so if you are talking about the release version of Ps we will move your post to the correct thread.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines