• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contextual Task Bars Now in Photoshop (Beta)

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We’re excited to announce that new contextual task bars are now available in Photoshop Public Beta. We know that finding the right tool, at the right time, can sometimes slow down a great workflow. Our new contextually aware task bars aim to help by providing common tools, actions and next steps right on the canvas where you’re working. We are currently launching five bars for importing new documents, making selections and using the Type Tool. Learn more below: 

Open Image or File

• This bar will appear when you open an image or file in Photoshop (i.e. not a new, empty document)

NoelleShamroukh_0-1679959585915.png

New Document Workflow

• This bar will appear if you open a new, blank document from the Photoshop home screen

NoelleShamroukh_6-1679010740627.png

• If you choose to select “import image”, your image will be placed in the document as a Smart Object and the Free Transform bar will appear to help finalize placement

NoelleShamroukh_1-1679007583143.png

Type Tool Workflow

• This bar will appear when you select the Type tool from the tool bar and draw a text box on the canvas

NoelleShamroukh_2-1679007583147.png

Selections Workflow

• Once a selection is made, a selection edit bar will appear with options to refine the selection or create a mask

NoelleShamroukh_4-1679007583152.png

Tips and Other Menu Functionality

NoelleShamroukh_5-1679007583155.png

• Pin bar position
    • You can pin and un-pin any bar from the “more menu”. Pinning will hold your bar (and all subsequent bars) where it was placed on the canvas until un-pinned from the “more menu” performed
  • Reset bar position
    • The context bar moves with you as you work on the canvas, keeping relevant tools at your finger tips. If you would like to reset the position, you can do so from the “more menu”
  • Hide bar
    • You can always hide the bar if you’d like to remove it completely, or temporarily, from the canvas. If you’d like to re-open the bar at any point, go to Window > Contextual Task Bar

We need your feedback!

Please let us know what you think and how we could improve the new Contextual Task Bar.

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 239 Replies 239
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks amazing. I like it. This will definitely help my workflow. I think it would be nicer if it could be customized, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you're liking the tool so far for your workflows @suetep. Customization is on the team's list of future improvements to this. Thanks for the great feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete, actually seeing this now in my release version of Photoshop ... as well as the beta. Can't see any notes about it on the ';whats new' page for Photoshop, nothing listed at all for April. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete, give us the ability to disable the feature. How did this make it through beta without the ability to remember settings from the previous session?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I do see the benefit of it, at first blush for me, I dont care for it right now.
Im a near 30 year vet of Photoshop, so my life in the app revolves around keyboard shortcuts that are faster, so imagine my surprise in the Beta when I went to use a brush and a context box popped up that gave me more mouse clicks instead of just  fast shortcut. Confused me and got in my way.
I do see the advantage of the Contextual Task Bar showing you more options you may not be aware of that said tool could do. That I do enjoy and I do enjoy the fact that I can park it in the top toolbar, where for my workflow, it fits. Still have to see if I actually benefit from one more step to an end result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far i'm liking the Contextual Task Bar. I agree that customisation would be great.
The only frustration i have right now is likely a bug, but it is causing my screen to jump around a lot when i confirm transformations or when i select/deselect items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I don't like it. Just gets in my way. I had to turn it off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be missing something but it does not appear to have the same properties as other windows - i.e. to be "dockable" with history/info/layers, etc etc.   When I want to make an operation, I automatically look over there - currently I use TK8 Combo which has most of the same selection options but I could imagine the contextural taskbar being a good replacement if it could be docked and still changed to provide the relevant context for whatever one was doing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no use for this thing at this time.  I might learn to like it if I could make it vertical and tuck it into the left side of my screen along with my brushes, gradients, tool presets and tools panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-05-22 080444.png Make it dockable and vertical and let me stick it over here and I'll try it.  Right now it's just one more jimcrack I don't need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks a cool feature but my task bar keeps constantly blinking on and off, very distracting, so have had to hide it. Hopefully this will be fixed in an update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow us to dock it as if it were a normal panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they supposed ot flash on and off constantly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

think it is a very good feature, it is excellent with selections (particularly the fill pattern command) but I hope more functionality is added to the transformations one such as scale 200% and rotate 45 etc as well as adding a few more things to the newly opened image one such as resize and create new (again) and also duplicate image as well as changing import image to 'place image' or place embedded. 

It works really well, I hope it is added to many other features in Photoshop such as with gradients, such as adding a new stop, deleting all the stops, changing type of gradients, inverting gradients, etc as well as adding it to shapes such as circles and custom shapes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in my way. I paste a screenshot, it assumes the image i'm working with is a photograph that has a subject and a background, and then presumes that i want to either select the subject or remove the background, or apply any number of layer adjustments that I only use when I'm working with photographs. Seems more or less gimmicky and worthless to me right now. I "hid" it using the properties menu on the bar, but then it returned the next time I copied and pasted another screenshot. That unexpected and undesirable behavior sent me here, though I haven't been able to replicate it, so perhaps it was a bug, or something I did incorrectly. This floating content bar might be fine for somebody, but I'd much rather it be permanently banished from my awareness.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hide the bar and now I cannot find where to make it show again like it was default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am enjoying this new feature.. some images not looking the best, there is room for improvement. but it does a great job. I am a photograoher and mixed media artist and I am looking forward to use more and more this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now it is just something that has to be moved out of the way frequently. I have "pinned" it multiple times and it still moves to the centre of the screen where I do not want it to be. Make it so that it can be docked and it would be great, or make it so that it actually stays where we place it when we click pin location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I closed my task bar out and now it cannot be found. It is not in the Window menu. Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to shut PS down then restart it and it was in the Windows menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

window menu > contextual task bar should bring it back ?? Right at the bottom 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 11.38.13 AM.pngAm I crazy or incompetent? I've uninstalled the beta, re-installed it. Restarted PS multiple times and have also restarted my computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sarag32399423 what version of Ps beta do you have, what is it that you are trying to find but not seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cory, I just updated my version of Ps as of 2 minutes ago and now have the contextual toolbar back. I'm not sure what happened but after downloading the beta yeserday, I lost my toolbar and after updating, it's back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines