• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contextual Task Bars Now in Photoshop (Beta)

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We’re excited to announce that new contextual task bars are now available in Photoshop Public Beta. We know that finding the right tool, at the right time, can sometimes slow down a great workflow. Our new contextually aware task bars aim to help by providing common tools, actions and next steps right on the canvas where you’re working. We are currently launching five bars for importing new documents, making selections and using the Type Tool. Learn more below: 

Open Image or File

• This bar will appear when you open an image or file in Photoshop (i.e. not a new, empty document)

NoelleShamroukh_0-1679959585915.png

New Document Workflow

• This bar will appear if you open a new, blank document from the Photoshop home screen

NoelleShamroukh_6-1679010740627.png

• If you choose to select “import image”, your image will be placed in the document as a Smart Object and the Free Transform bar will appear to help finalize placement

NoelleShamroukh_1-1679007583143.png

Type Tool Workflow

• This bar will appear when you select the Type tool from the tool bar and draw a text box on the canvas

NoelleShamroukh_2-1679007583147.png

Selections Workflow

• Once a selection is made, a selection edit bar will appear with options to refine the selection or create a mask

NoelleShamroukh_4-1679007583152.png

Tips and Other Menu Functionality

NoelleShamroukh_5-1679007583155.png

• Pin bar position
    • You can pin and un-pin any bar from the “more menu”. Pinning will hold your bar (and all subsequent bars) where it was placed on the canvas until un-pinned from the “more menu” performed
  • Reset bar position
    • The context bar moves with you as you work on the canvas, keeping relevant tools at your finger tips. If you would like to reset the position, you can do so from the “more menu”
  • Hide bar
    • You can always hide the bar if you’d like to remove it completely, or temporarily, from the canvas. If you’d like to re-open the bar at any point, go to Window > Contextual Task Bar

We need your feedback!

Please let us know what you think and how we could improve the new Contextual Task Bar.

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 239 Replies 239
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, i noticed that I may have been misunderstood. I know it is a "context" menu, but i wish it to behave like other menus. I mean, like the menu timeline - I can pin it to the bottom, shrink it down and it stays there - consistently below graphics. I can't dock the context menu to other menus, and sometimes even i have opened the window it does not stay visible, seconds later it's there again. the best option will be if this context menu can be just on the upper menu stripes which are... context and change with every tool i use. Can't be that way? It does not have to be a floating menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I SAW the post HERE, which essentially say - "No, you CAN'T have it stay where you put it until you move it again."  I was HOPING there was ANOTHER post from him that showed how to make it PERMANENTLY stay where you put it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make a keyboard shortcut to Hide/Unhide the damn thing.

The menu bar at the top already has that sort of contextual/tool based info anyway. Why would you want it there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I SAW the post HERE, which essentially say - "No, you CAN'T have it stay where you put it until you move it again."  I was HOPING there was ANOTHER post from him that showed how to make it PERMANENTLY stay where you put it.

The thread seems to have been merged so now I cannot find the post myself … but the screenshot I took clearly shows that the post stated that you can pin the position of the Contextual Task Bar.

Albeit the position will not hold over after quitting and restarting Photoshop. 

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 09.36.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think a lot of people are missing the point when it comes to the CTB.  There is zero doubt that it can speed up your workflow.  It's just that it's a tiny bit of a pain having to set it to 'Pinned' every time you open Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah!  I just updated the beta version and the CTB is staying pinned after a restart.  I was so surprised I tested it again, and sure enough, it remembers it's last state.  That's a major improvement IHO. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yippeee. (I hope, haven't tested it yet)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too soon.

Oh no it doesn't. I withdraw the cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah!  I just updated the beta version and the CTB is staying pinned after a restart.  I was so surprised I tested it again, and sure enough, it remembers it's last state.  That's a major improvement IHO. 

By @Trevor.Dennis

Great observation! 

I can confirm on Adobe 25.1.0 on Mac OS 13.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CTB stays pinned between documents and restarts on the new Ps 2024/v25.0 release on MacOS 12.6.9. Hope it's the same for everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the floating of the Contextual Task Bar very convenient. However, there are some very common scenarios where I have to drag it away manually. With the following improvements, I think I wouldn't have to, and would make working all-in-all more intuitive.

1. Hide inactive Contextual Task Bar during keydown of any modifier key. 

Benefits & reasoning:

- The floating bar follows your selection, but often times you want to add to/reduce from  the initial selection you just made, and often times in these situations the bar gets in the way. It would be rather convenient if the modifier keys used to change the +/- mode of the selection tools would already hide the bar.

- The floating bar remains below Generative Fill layer after generation. Hiding it during keydown would be a super easy way to see the bigger picture after you have just generated something. Especially if you are working on the top part of an image, the bar is often blocking your view of how the generation blends into its surroundings. Furthermore, this gives user the ability to use their preferred key from multiple choices (all modifier keys) for this purpose.

2. Change float alignment of Contextual Task Bar according to selection/Generative Fill layer XY position(especially Y). Basically I mean the center of the image would be the bar's anchor point, and it would always be on the opposite side of your selection/Generative Fill layer/etc from the anchor point, especially if working anywhere near edges. I'm sure this has crossed your minds at designing the tool already tho – maybe make it a preference setting?

Benefits & reasoning:

- when working on the top half, top third or top quarter of the image, I find it would make more sense that the alignment of the floating bar would jump above of my "area of focus", instead of sticking below it, since I want to see as much of the bigger picture at all times as possible.

- Perhaps some relative position shifting on X-axis in similar fashion would make sense. You want the bar in a usable position but at the same time as far away from your "area of focus" as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bar is a total distraction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, millions of designers use Photoshop everyday for online graphics. It makes no sense for Adobe to force something that covers the design. Pointless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. There's one in Illustrator now, too. Thankfully, they can be switched off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i like taskbar. i also not like taskbar. taskbar is weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This  Contextual Task Bar is pretty helpful to me!  Will continue making it part of my workflow

Fabes Tech Reviews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be kind; the "Contexutal Task Bar" is gone, missing, vanished and the information contained here does not provied an answer to my problem. It very well may be my problem, but it was there and now it is gone. . . . .  I have closed Bridge and Photoshop several times, I have rebooted several times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  I only have the ability to use generative fill from the edit menu rather than the CTB.  Very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  I only have the ability to use generative fill from the edit menu rather than the CTB.  Very annoying

By @bend92160274

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What happens if you select Window > Contextual Task Bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot attached.  As you can see ctb is active but no sign of it 😞ps screen for ctb.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try Window > Workspace > Essentials (and reset that if necessary). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still nothing 😞 ps screen for ctb 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the cursor? 

Is Window > Contextual Task Bar checked? 

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far?
Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

done all purpose troubleshooting and reset essentials and photography workspaces.  CTB is active in windows menu as shown in screenshot.  Cursor in on menups screen for ctb 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you by any chance »Pin bar position« at some point? (Though restoring the Preferences should have taken care of that …)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines