• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo Restoration Neural Filter now available in Photoshop Beta!

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Beta Community!

We are excited to share that Photo Restoration is now available in the Photoshop Beta. Photo Restoration is a new Neural Filter that uses an AI trained model to help restore old or damaged photographs. Using the Photo Restoration filter, users can restore the quality of their images using the basic editing options or choose to further refine using our advanced options (adjustments). Once complete, there is always an option to export the image to the main Photoshop workspace for further refinement.

Main Editing Features:

• Photo enhancement - Improve color, contrast, and details
  • Enhance faces - Improve the detail on face specifically
  • Scratch reduction - Restore areas of the photo that have been scratched or damaged (off by default)

Advanced Editing Features (Adjustments):

• Noise reduction
  • Color noise reduction
  • Halftone artifact reduction
  • JPEG artifacts reduction

To access the filter, go to File > Neural Filters > Photo Restoration and switch the toggle to “on”. This will initiate the filter download and activate it for use.

NoelleShamroukh_1-1655761213236.png

Noelle5D22_1-1655760848508.png

Please share any thoughts and comments here on our community thread, or in-app through our Beta feedback panel (accessed via the flask icon in the upper righthand corner of the application). We look forward to hearing your feedback and seeing what you create!

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 161 Replies 161
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the previous version of the Photoshop Beta with the new Photo restoration filter was so much better than this latest update?  Can we get an option to choose which method we would like?

New one is pretty rubbish in comparison to the last version in my opinion.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, the face enhancement feature is not working with this new update, no complaints about the rest of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bobk2992755 and @Art Of Visual 

I've moved this post from Photoshop to Photoshop (Beta).

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi 

i have a problem , photo restoration in photoshop beta after update its bad result who fix that 

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo Restoration Filter in Photoshop

Why install the new beta version 23.5, the filter for faces is not working properly, it gives a strange result,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you given feedback using the feedback form within the neural filter, explaining why the result falls short of expectation with your image?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded to older versions but the filter is no longer available, can't we go back to the previous version that worked fine? I know it's a beta, but it was really good.

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 10.11.52.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-08 at 10.13.48.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-08 at 10.21.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Polo Freitas

Unfortunately, until we can adjust the version number (coming soon), the 23.5 that you have access to is the latest. The team is still making updates to this filter, so please stay tuned. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

PG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete-Does it mean that all the neutral filters in the beta will now be available in the new version of the desktop?

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terry,

Once the team decides the filter is ready for the latest version it should go into the general release of Photoshop.

If you feel a feature is ready, be sure to help the team's decision by voting for it using Window > Beta Feedback and let us know through Rating!

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the confusion would be what are they voting for?  I would vote for the earlier version that replaced features as part of the feature, not the latest one.  Ideally there would be a choice in the filter (fingers crossed) but I would only vote for the older version as the one now is worse than not using it in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @bobk2992755 , when casting your vote, you can type in additional feedback to clarify your thoughts.

PeteGreen_0-1663263527146.png

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please FIX the photo restoration filter with regard to the enhance "face" feature! It was SO good before this new BETA update. The 23.5 update ruined it because it the new update is causing weird brightness and contrast issues, and provides an almost "painterly" look. (This is not what most people are looking for with regard to Face Restoration!)  Here's an image from an AI generated image and the results I received from the previous version. It was wonderful and it corrected the weird shapes and details while achieving a great level of realism. photo-restoration-before-after.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can kind of get it using the portrait Neural Filter and just move a slider say for eyes and it will produce a better eye. Not as good as the original Photo Restoration Filter though..... I miss that 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if latest update has broken that too 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last update didn't solve it 😞, the result is still very strange, let's hope they solve it soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully they will resolve it soon. After doing some trial/error testing with other face restoration alternatives, I think I might have an idea what happened with the filter. I suspect the AI used for face restoration is GFPGAN since I tested a few different GFPGAN models during this process. My results from GFPGAN v1.2 were eerily similar to those from the latest BETA face restoration update. Versions 1.3 and 1.4 provided much better results and were more on par with the neural filter prior to the update. I suspect something got switched or downgraded unintentionally. I don't believe they would purposely downgrade something that was so awesome. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also tested it, and GFPGAN v1.3 and v1.4 give results very close to the filter, let's hope they solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, looks like they was using the same process. Update is still the same sadly, although with improved speed.... you can get it to do a better job if you select smart portrait and then  just adjust eye direction sightly.  It then replaces the eyes like before, certainly does on an Ai generated portrait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After update to newest beta photorestoration is slow, I mean really slow. First I thought that it is not working and reset neural filters (cleared those two folders suggested). Reinstalled and same behaviour. Start to write this and looked what has happened in PS and filters has done the job. Changed parameters and now progression bar shows up pretty quickly.

Quality of the filter is still bad, photo looses all textures and sharpness but not scratches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE! New version fixed performance issues. Getting better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure getting the restoration filter to do a bad job quicker is a good thing 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my workflow I disable photo and face enchange at first, both results are just awful.

What I need to my restoration workflow is a good and reliable dust and scratch cleaning. Which is sadly not good in this filter, yet I hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using PS v24.6.0 with Windows 10, 64 GB RAM, 11 GB VRAM.

Photo Restoration is slow... really slow. This happened after the last PS update. The rest of PS works at normal speed. It can take several minutes to process an image now. This needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to photo restoration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines