• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Bevel & Emboss Effect Causing Corruption On Shape Layers With A Feather Effect

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having an issue in Photoshop, Bridge, and Illustrator for years and have finally found the solution to a bug that has been plaguing me across different version of Creative Cloud, different computers, and even different operation systems.

I have found that the Bevel & Emboss effect in Photoshop corrupts some of my files when viewed in Bridge.Corruption-01.png

In the above illustration, the image on the left has a Bevel & Emboss effect and the image on the right is how the image should look . When I save the file and view it in Bridge I see the weird lines across the image. When I place the image into Illustrator the corruption is present. If I save a JPG the corruption is present. When I open the file in Photoshop the corruption is not present, and if I turn off the Bevel & Emboss the corruption is no longer visible in any of the ways I listed above.  As you can imagine, this has been very frustrating and annoying.

After really playing with it and taking a deep dive to try to fix the issue, I've concluded that if you have a Bevel & Emboss effect on a shape layer, and then you feather the shape in the Properties window, it creates the corrutption on the file. The solution I've found is that if I take the feathered shape with the Bevel & Emboss and turn it into a Smart Object, everything appears as it should when I save out the file.

I don't know what causes this to happen and I don't know why. Statistically I can't be the only person to ever have this issue so at worst this post can serve to help anyone else who has this issue in the future, and at best maybe Adobe can look into this and fix this.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Thanks. I've asked the engineers to take a look.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a PSD file (link via CC files or dropbox) that exhibits this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to a file with this corruption. It will expire on the 21st.:

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/4XxtNvSyIO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've asked the engineers to take a look.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate