P: Black, White Gradient Preset and Perceptual Interpolation creates cool/blue cast

1 Vote
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like one of the Gradient Preset: (Basics, Black, White [0,0,0 to 255,255,255]) is wonky when used as is. The grayscale ramp turns green when set to Perceptual Interpolation. However, the same present works correctly when using Linear and Classic interpolation. If I remake or simply edit the gradient, it works as expected. It's not my preferences, and color setting or at their defaults and I'm getting the same error on my laptop with a fresh install. I also noticed when I tried to edit the endpoint it came up specifying "Web Safe" colors which might explain the issue. But the simple act of editing it triggered it to work correctly and setting it back to "Web Safe" didn't recreate the error. Weird!

Anyone else see or able to reproduce this issue?

I'm using the latest Photoshop update on Windows 10 and Windows 11 on the laptop.

2022-02-16_23-50-14.png

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Thanks for the details. I have an inquiry out to the engineering team.

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Participant ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same thing.  Black-to-white "Perceptual" gradients have a greenish color cast compared to gradients made with the "Classic" gradient setting.  This is even more obvious if you use Filter > Blur > Average on the gradient and then invert it and keep going back and forth between inverted and not-inverted.   The "Perceptual" gradient alternates between a gray-green and redish-green color while the "Classic" gradient is a middle gray that barely changes when inverted.

gradients.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the details. I have an inquiry out to the engineering team.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No update?  No fix?  This is just terrible.  Thought I was losing my mind with bad GPU or something, turns out it's another new, um, Adobe "feature."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Bug Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not seeing the change with 23.4.0.  These gradients were made with the Gradient tool on a 16-bit image with Adobe RGB as the color working space.  There's still an off-green cast to Percpetual gradient compared to the completely neutral Classic gradient.

classic.jpgperceptual.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate