• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Camera Raw as a Filter (not the plugin) freezes Photoshop on use

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop is getting stuck whenever I try to use the camera raw filter; nothing opens up after I click on it, and I can't even close my photoshop. everything gets stuck and a sound like a notification comes up, but still, nothing shows up 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Update: May 1 2024

The PS team has reopened this bug due to a small number of reporters on this thread who say the issue is not fixed for them. 

Critical to getting a fix for this is more information from those of you for whom the release did not fix your issue.  Exact Reproduction steps would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Previous:
Adobe has released Photoshop 25.7, which contains a potential fix for the PS>Filter> Camera Raw Filterā€¦ freezing Photoshop. Please install the update from your Creative

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 113 Replies 113
113 Comments
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the ACR forum, this was posted in the forum for Photoshop scripts coders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the Camera Raw preferences:
Hold down the Command key and select Photoshop > Preferences > Camera Raw (macOS) or hold down the Ctrl key and select Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw (Windows).
Click Yes in the dialog that asks "Delete the Camera Raw Preferences?"
See also:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/camera-raw-settings.html 

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no fix for this. You simply have to force quite Photoshop and hope it recovers the files.

Anyone that claims that you can go to the preference menu or access some other menu to disable things etc, does not understand the issue we are talking about. When Camera raw stops functiong and you get stuck in it you cannot access any settings, preferecnes, or drop down menus. You simply see a progress bar as if Camera Raw is doing something but nothign ever happebs and you cannot cancel the process. The only solution is to force quite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too. Probably once per hour for the last 6 or 7 hours. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact issue! This happens every other time I try to open a camera raw filter! Many times after working in camera raw on a layer I'll save the file then if I try to open a different camera raw filter layer or sometimes the same one it will freeze. Sometimes after relaunching photoshop multiple times and I can eventually open the camera raw filter I'll check my layer masks and random brush edits will be gone. Everything else in the layer mask is the same but no brush meaning I possibly hours of brush edits.. This happens so often that it must be a bug, but I can't find a Fix!!! This is incredibly frustrating. Adobe customer support is No Help! Please if anyone knows how to resolve this it would save me from breaking my computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe you need to find the fix for this!!! Same here. It's been happening pretty much since I bought a mac mini.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here! Camera Raw filter will freeze when opening or after clicking OK on any given smart object. Sometimes it happens 10 times in a row, other times it's 1 in 10 times. I lose my work constantly, and I can't copy and paste quickly like I once could. The only solution I have is to constantly save like it's 1995! Unfortunately, I work with PSB files and photoshop is stupid and basically rewrites the whole file for every save instead of just amending the file with it's alterations. None of this is okay! How is the most powerful editing program that has become the industry standard so archaic!? I do product photography and this has turned 40 hours of work into 80ā€”easily! Not to mention a client who just doesn't get that a program people use for work can and is actually this unreliable! How is there no recourse for Adboe costing creators actual money!? We pay for this suite, and there's always at least some aspect of every app that bogs down work and delivery times. That's if it's not just downright failing to open! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot. In just saved and reopened photoshop and it happened on the first try! This is absurd. These aren't even very large PSB files. I'm using a Macbook Pro M1 Max with 64GB of RAM  with overy 1TB free!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[EN] -

I'm facing issues with Camera Raw. It simply freezes everything (Photoshop and Camera Raw) in an infinite loading loop, and I can't even cancel the opening. It just stops, which always forces me to 'Force Quit' the entire program, causing me to lose everything I was working on. 

I've been dealing with this issue for a few months now. I've changed computers twice, alternating between Macs and Windows, and nothing solves it, nothing! I've performed numerous tests and tried different settings, but none have resolved the problem. And Camera Raw is essential for finalizing my projects. Working in this manner has been challenging. I'd really like to find a solution quickly...

Updating, uninstalling, and reinstalling haven't resolved the issue.

[PT-BR] -

Estou enfrentando problemas com o camera raw.. Pois ele simplesmente congela tudo (Photoshop e Camera Raw) em um carregamento infinito, nem cancelar a abertura eu consigo. Ele simplesmente para, o que sempre me forƧa a "ForƧar Encerrar" o programa todo, com isso, perco tudo que estava desenvolvendo.

Estou passando por esse problema a alguns meses, jĆ” troquei de computador 2 vezes. Intercalei entre Macs e Windows e nada resolve, nada! JĆ” fiz vĆ”rios testes, e configuraƧƵes diferentes, mas nenhum resolveu o problema. E o camera raw Ć© essencial para a finalizaĆ§Ć£o dos meus projetos. Trabalhar dessa forma tem sido complicado. Gostaria de solucionĆ”-lo rapidamente...

Atualizar, desinstalar e reinstalar, nĆ£o resolvem o problema.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-18 at 00.53.04.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happend to my too (second time though), latest version of Camera RAW and PS, working on a Macbook Pro M1 Max as well. Just lost 5 hours of client work. Fix it Adobe!!!! This is bs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe fix this! This is insufferable. Is anyone else having this problem on the M2 macs? I'm working on an M1 as the previous posters above 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here with an M2 MAX still happens!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Probleme here... Waiting for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO, I found an earlier post about this problems dating back a few years. One solution, or workaround really, was to turn off "Export Clipboard" in your Photoshop settings. So far, knock on wood, the freezing has stopped for me. I still don't think this should be the answer and that Adobe should address it, but hopefully this works for some, if not all of you, cuz it is a BIG pain in the... to deal with. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to get a crash dialog when this failed? If so, did you submit the crash dialog under the same Email address you use for the forum? 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No crash dialog. Just get the spinning wheel of death and a frozen progress bar. Had tried to let it sit and think about it for an hour or so a couple times and it never went away. Computer isn't locked up so I can force quit Photoshop. I know it isn't that Photoshop will release at some point because it's random when it will freeze up...on the same smart object. Sometimes I get away with clicking on it and altering the settings two or three times and on the next try...BAM. Sometimes its on the first try that it freezes. I'm trying to match someone else's lores JPG that they processed, so there's a lot of experimentation back and forth to try and get it to match. I may go into those camera raw settings and make 10 or more attempts to get it to match as exact as possible.

I will say, it hasn't happened since I turned off "Export Clipboard".

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kind of shocking that in 2023 I can use generative AI to create an image that doesn't exist - and yet I'm having the exact same Camera Raw freeze issue I've been having across 3 versions of Photoshop. After force-quitting Photoshop and re-opening, I'm greeted with 15 Recovered files that are thankfully up-to-date. It's only a matter of time before a mod comes along and says "this has been fixed! start a new thread!". But it's not fixed, it never will be. 

And no, resetting preferences and all that stuff does not fix the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same thing. I use camera raw in all my comps. That's really bloody getting on my nerves. I have to kill photoshop 10 times a day because of this. Come on guys, clean this poop! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, 

To those on the thread experiencing this issue, we have thus far been unable to reproduce this issue with any of the instructions provided. 

Without reproducible steps, the next best diagnostic tool would be to obtain a crash log. I see people mentioning 'killing' the app, but I don't see where anyone has actually seen a Crash Dialog and filled it out with an Email address and submitted it.  Has anyone here even encountered a crash dialog? 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all my respect, I'm wondering if you're kidding...
How could we ? When it happens, the app is stuck. And won't deliver deliver any crash log. This happens to many many users... Joke. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The list of perpetual bug in this software is just a joke... Beginning with panning and zooming freeze issue that annoys me for years, through all versions... Workaround ? Hiding the rulers. Seriously ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk - have you been able to fix this issue yet?  Happens often, too often and leads to considerable lost productivity.  Thanks for any updates - jake@j7images.com  - there is no dialog - it doesn't even shot that Photoshop Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 9.28.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show that photoshop is not responding.   This a .psb for a banner but it happens in smaller psd files as well.  Let me know if I can assist in finding a solution in any way.  - Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App freezes and gets stuck, where you are not able to use or access menu. It just gets stuck and doesn't even crash, as it doesn't even show as 'Not responding' in the force quit list. This is a frequent proplem, and I have dissabled multi threaded compositing and GPU compositing as sugested somewhere else, as an alternative to purging the raw caches. This worked for a while, but not very long. One thing to mention, as I can't see if this the case for others,  is that I always use the camera raw filter on a smart layer to be able to edit it. This is the only time Camera Raw is causing an issue. (I'm also having trouble when opening raw files, where I have done edits and started exporing them as jpgs, if I the try to keep editing as it's exporing, it will freez as well - but thats a different tread)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same ongoing issue as described. Camera Raw holds photoshop hostage.. Camera Raw just hangs forever when opoening, no crash log!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate