• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Can't access some network files on Apple Silicon M1 Mac "because the file is locked"

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have 15 Mac computers that are all connected to a NAS via SMB. Four of these are the new Apple Silicone computers which are great except that we're having an issue that is isolated to these new computers and Photoshop. An error prevents us from opening some PSD files on the NAS: "Could not open "file name" because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file." 

We can access these same files from the Intel Macs without any problem (including using the same network credentials). I've verified it is a problem that is limited to the Apple Silicone computers and only when accessing some files. There doesn't seem to be any ryme or reason as to why this is happening.

Most of these computers are running MacOS version 12.3 or 12.3.1. I've verified that all the available permissions are granted in the Privacy preferences pane. We've been trying everything to find a solution for this but haven't any success so far. Is anyone else having this issue?

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
46 Comments
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Apple support today. Just got the "did you try to turn it off an on" type of support. 

In a few days I'm allowed to talk to somebody that actually knows what SMB is. Reporting back when I know more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mounting the drive with username/password in the URL doesn't change anything for me.

The opening two files at once workaround does work. Seems to point to an Apple issue, not an Adobe one in that sense, but I'm not a programmer (anymore).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I talked again with Apple, this time their technical support. They said that they can't actually help there, because SMB and network stuff isn't their area of responsibility. For that I would have to get in touch with the business apple support which is paid and only available when I got a specific contract with apple.

What they did today is resetting my user permissions with this terminal command (use at your own risk): 

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

They also pointed out (the standard thing) that is worth trying another user on the same device.

Unfortunately I can't reproduce this issue 100% of the time. Annoyingly this only happens when I actually work, not in the 15mins I was in the telephone queue. There I could open everything perfectly. demonstration effect

So for me it's not narrwoed down enough to replicate it every single time. Even after a full restart the error didn't came up again. But I swear that it will happen tomorrow.

I will keep you updated if the terminal command actually did anything (I doubt that).

I also agree that to some amount this isn't a adobe bug/ problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Not sure if it's the case for everyone facing this issue.

But for the ones using a NAS, can you activate the AFP protocol on the NAS Shared folder where you have your files?

I used to bypass this same issue by connecctiong to the Share/Folder using username and ip address, but recently I have moved most of my files from a Netgear NAS to a Qnap NAS and activated both SMB and AFP protocols for te folders I need to access on the Mac and haven't faced this issue.

Activated the AFP as well on the Netgear NAS shares that I still use, and no issues as well.

Also, it might be relevant and/or helpful, I have SMB 1.1 deactivated, using SMB 2.0
I am still on Monterrey 12.2 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@danielg80489600 But do you connect via AFP or just have it activated and still use SMB? AFP is deprecated and not recommended anymore by apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tested and tracked down what I believe is the problem and a workaround.

I tested MAC OSX 12.6 and 12.6.1 on a Mac Studio M1 Max with 64 GB RAM.

Connecting over SMB to a QNAP. Photoshop 2022  23.5.3

I Created a folder, created a photoshop file and saved as .jpg and .psd.  PSD generally have the error when trying to open from file open, or finder right click file open.  It would open from recents most of the time in photoshop.

I found that if opening from the finder right click open with, or boule click, or trying to open from file open photoshop if the Finder is in the Column view it doesn't open,  If I change finder to Icon or List view the files open.  Also if I make two windows, if the column view is on in one of the windows, I can't open from it or the other window that is in list or icon view.  If I change the two windows to a combination of icon and list or both icon or both list, the file opens.  Anytime there is an column view in finder the file gives error.  So I think this is related to the Finder and Quicklook process over SMB on Apple Silicon keeping the file open.  As quicklook preview isn't being used on icon or list view in the finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything having to do with the Mac OS Finder application will cause this issue. Quicklook, Preview in column view, renaming a file on the server, etc. will cause the affected files to "lock" as the Finder is not refreshing across the network connection (doesn't matter AFP or SMB, QNAP, etc).

This has been an issue for years, its not new to M1/2, Mac OS Moterery or Ventura, but that has made it worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer 

Tha is a very good point.

I rarely use Mac now-a-days and when I do, I don't use finder that much.

Maybe by using a diferent file explorer would be a solution?

https://www.macgasm.net/software/file-manager-mac/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@erwinas47724335 

I have both active on the share settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting idea but might be difficult getting a freeware alternative to a native OS system approved by any IT department. 😕

I know that Pathfinder isn't really a "replacement" - it runs on top of the Finder and still had similar issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use an Applescript to refresh the Finder view, similar to F5 on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a similar solution for "refresh Finder" in previous OSes. With Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura it's not as effective thanks to security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update on this? This still a major problem. Also happens in Illustrator.

Haven't updated to Ventura because it just SUCKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@erwinas47724335 There is no update and won't be. This is not new or something because of an Adobe/Mac update. It has gotten worse with Big Sur/Monterey/Ventura but working directly off a network share or external source has never been supported by Adobe because of the issues this causes. Drag your work local, then back over.

We moved to a DAM (digital asset management) system specifically because of the issues with Mac OS and servers locking files over five years ago and have never looked back.

A DAM allows users to download the files locally by checking out, then edit and check back into the system. It prevents the server lock outs, temp files, etc. and allows one user at a time to edit without interference while allowing everyone to access when needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this problem with Mac Office as well, sometimes things work perfectly and other times you get funny errors. I'm transitioning from a Windows 10 Pro workstation to an Intel Macbook Pro in a Microsoft shop at work, using NoMAD makes accessing our Microsoft/AD network a lot easier. Regardless you can expect that working across a network will be hit or miss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be mis-attributing this fix to something else, but I believe I fixed this problem by going into the Photoshop preferences / File Handling / and setting "Image Previews" to "Never Save". After making this change, for existing files you will have to save-as under a new name and delete the old file because Photoshop will stubbernly still keep the image preview otherwise. The issue is the Finder is trying to generate icon thumbnails and it gets screwed up with files that have the extra image preview saved with the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LarryK_95 you resolved one issue but there are many more caused by the Mac OS.

Example - Finder generating previews can be eliminated using your Finder preferences (turn off preview column).

That is not the only issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved me!!! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What DAM software do you use with the Mac and the windows network?

Thanks, i figured this is the real solution like when editing video files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use a company called MediaBank by WAVE. Mac/PC local or cloud server. Excellent integration with office and CC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Incredible to think this "problem" doesn't happen with other editors, like Affinity Photo. Opening CR2 or CR3 files works flawlessly from a NAS on an M1. Yet somehow for users here and Adobe engineers, it's the fault of Apple? 

Very poor this bug is not fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate