• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Can't edit properties of text copied and pasted from Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 22.5.1 on Mac OS Big Sur Macbook Pro 2017.  My photoshop document somehow has type with a blue interior stroke/outline. It is not a layer stroke effect. I can change the color of the text but not the outline color. When I enter new text into the outlined text block it also has the same outline. If I select the outlined text and change the font selection the new font is outlined the same way.

When I type a brand new text block within the document the type is normal (no outline) but I am unable to remove the outline from any of the existing text blocks and can't figure out how it got there.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Brad @ Roaring Mouse is correct. Eng confirmed PS allows you to paste text from Illustrator that has properties that can't be edited in PS. They're hoping to improve this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot. Is sounds like your text is a shape and you are seeing the path... Need to see the canvas and your layers.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank-you-ps.png

the text is active, editable type, it hasn't been converted to a shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange - do you have the font installed that it's using? What if you duplicate the type layer - since you said new type layers aren't doing it. Not a screen redraw issue - zooming in and out stays the same? What if you pull the layer out of the group? I'm grasping at straws - I have no idea. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost like it's trying to do a transparency dither (like saving as a GIF with that option)...though I have no idea why it would do this. Is there any layer with that outline color?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fast response!

The outline is there with any font I choose for that text. Zooming in and out makes no difference, it's not a screen redraw issue. Ungrouping the layers doesn't change it, neither does duplicatng the layer.

The only fix seems to be making a brand new type layer with new text typed out. I am jsut starting a new project which will eventually consist of lines and lines of text, and if the outline problem reoccurs later I will be really stuck if I have to retype and reformat everything all over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other type layers with that unwanted outline in the same color. Besides that there is only a black background layer that I have turned off for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the PSD? Might be the fastest way for us to debug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To note - some of the text in the scroll-2021.psd file has already been replaced with new text that does not have the outline problme. But the text in the center columns displays the outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. I have a question in to the Type team. We'll see what they say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't directly find out the exact cause of this, but it is tied up somehow with the Character Style. 

The Style shows as [None]+  

If you choose Clear overrides in that panel, the text changes substantially. 

But, if you select the text and choose New Character Style in the pallet, the new style is applied and the outline goes away, and the text remains outwise the same. 

To make things more interesting, you cannot get rid of the stroke on other lines of text by applying the new style to other text; it automatically applies with the +, and the stroke remains. You have to apply the new style, and then also clear overrides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is strange, I haven't used Character Styles in this file, but changing the Character Style seems to be the solution. I was able to select the text and + Create New Character Style, and the outline goes away - the type looks as it should. Much better than retyping all new text.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you by any chance copy and paste text from llustrator?

This "effect" can happen if you copy and paste text that has a stroke (defined in Illustrator) into Photoshop. The effect stays, but there's no way to edit it in PS, unless you copy and paste it BACK into Illustrator to remove the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Copied and pasted some text from Illustrator, although the oringal type didn't have any stroke applied. But that would seem to be an explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested your file and that seems to be it. This just means you will have to copy and paste each block out to Illustrator, remove stroke and copy and paste it back in. Seems to clear it up, but you've got lots of individual text blocks so you will need to do a bunch of c&p-in'. Good luck.

All this being said, why not do your scroll in Illustrator to begin with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing the Illustrator file into Premier Pro was creating problems with scale and resolution, but I had no issues with importing a similarly formatted Photoshop file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. Still, you could have still done your working file in Illustrator and then exported out a PNG at final rez for Premiere. But I'm picking at a nit; works either way. hope this sorts things out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brad @ Roaring Mouse is correct. Eng confirmed PS allows you to paste text from Illustrator that has properties that can't be edited in PS. They're hoping to improve this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate