• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Character leading broken

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest update to Photoshop CC 2018, character leading is broken. I cannot type into the box or manually adjust with the up down keys. This is a bit of a showstopper...

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017
This should be resolved in the 19.0.1 update released last night. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know if it's fixed for you!

Regards
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 134 Replies 134
134 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Using MacOS Sierra.
Can't work!

Going back to 2017 version now

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct with this until you Free Transform the text. At this point you can change the Leading value in the properties panel - but the numbers you enter will be changed once you hit enter. In my case they increase by around 30% of the number  you enter (so entering 10pt and pressing enter gets changed automatically to 12.95pt). This is also the case (once you have used the free transform tool) with the canned values in the drop down list. You can work around this by estimating and making allowances knowing Photoshop will automatically change the values - but its far from ideal.

Given you can and Adobe made it easy to install both - I'd still recommend re-installing PS2017 in tandem with 2018 and keep an eye on the Creative Cloud App for an update to the later.

Given the severity and annoyance of this bug - I'm hoping this will be in days rather than weeks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows 10 here. It may not be a perfect workaround but I'd found that highlighting the text you want to adjust, even if transformed, and moving it by using the Alt+Up/Down (iirc Command instead of Alt on mac?) keys seems to at least give you some flexibility beyond it being completely broken.

It is definitely frustrating that I'm unable to use the input field but that shortcut has saved me from having to uninstall/reinstall PS and subsequently waste time on a typographic poster job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It troubles me a lot since I just updated my Photoshop CC 2017 to 2018. Thank God I found this forum and realized I did not actually mess up with my Adobe products after updating them all. Guess I need to go back to 2017 until 2018 is completely bug free. (sigh) This what happens when I excitedly update apps without reading reviews about them first. I pray that AI doesn't have the same problem, or I'm dead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! That'll work for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues as everyone above. This needs to be fixed, asap! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same problem and can't work like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How its possible to go back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am re-installing CC2017 for now. New update keeps slowing me down with work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This version of Photoshop feels almost completely unusable, a 250kb .PSD zooms in and out at a snails pace on a MBPR 2016. Reverting back to 2017 unfortunately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm facing the same problem. made me come here for answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! used Alt on mac and its fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here  @Windows 7.
And the editing of transformed text (i that means f. e. scaled ) worked without issues in former Versions, so the answer is a bit unsatisfactory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go to Creative Cloud and click "Previous Version" to install 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on Windows 7, even if the text wasn't transformed before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are actively working on a solution.  That said, transforming the text is NOT the same thing as changing it's point size.  Photoshop tries very hard to make it seem so, but under the hood, there's all sorts of math going on to make it work -- if you transform Myriad Pro 12pt by x450%, you've blown up the 12pt type by a 4.5:1 scale; it's NOT the same as Myriad Pro 54pt, though for many fonts it's hard to tell the difference.

It appears that at the 11th hour before shipping, a control that impacted that math was changed, triggering this problem.  So a TEMPORARY workaround would be to simply avoid transforming type until we can get a fix out.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hans,

This bug specifically deals with transformed text; we've figured out the cause and are working on a solution.  If you're encountering this problem with an existing file, then it was previously transformed.  You won't see it if you create text from scratch without a transformation.  Please try it and see for yourself.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating Photoshop CC, when editing text so that the line spacing is set to a custom size rather than select a predefined value i the 'Character' panel, it jumps to a huge number and errors.  I have tried multiple ways to set is manually but the only way I can get it to "work" is from selecting one of the drop down options which doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues as the rest.
Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.0 20170929.r.165 2017/09/29: 1138933  x64

It also happens when I try scrubbing back and forth over the leading symbol. Crazy value jumps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm for me, nice work Chris! Other people going back to previous versions, try this quick fix first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like how Adobe leaves comments like this here, even though personally I would find it very hard to believe, but Apple would simply delete this comment, so I think Adobe is getting better again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what does it mean transforming type?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Ps CC 2018, and now when I adjust the "leading line spacing", it jumps to extreme numbers when I try to drag the arrow to increase it. It goes up to like 15,000 px on its own and then gives me an error message that it's beyond the maximum spacing. I can't even type in a specific number without it doing the same. Please help me because this is beyond annoying... Thank you!

I'm also using a Mac (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the size of type by grabbing the handles of the text box and dragging (with or without SHIFT to constrain things), then you're transforming the text in the same way that you transform an image.

If you change the size of type by entering, selecting, or scrubbing the numeric value of the Font Size, then you are NOT transforming, but rather simply resizing the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate