• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Character leading broken

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest update to Photoshop CC 2018, character leading is broken. I cannot type into the box or manually adjust with the up down keys. This is a bit of a showstopper...

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017
This should be resolved in the 19.0.1 update released last night. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know if it's fixed for you!

Regards
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 134 Replies 134
134 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been a week and still no update to fix this. My whole department is waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

After upgrading to Adobe Photoshop CC 2018, I have discovered a bug when adjusting "leading" through the Character panel. When I enter a value into the "leading" field, it changes to a value I did not enter. When I try to scrub or use the up/down arrow keys, the value only changes in one direction and with a large jump in value. I have discovered that this occurs after transforming the text layer.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is additional conversation going on about this issue on the Photoshop General Discussion forum on Adobe. This bug is a big pain and affecting workflow, but another workaround was mentioned that has worked for me. (Thank you, Ivor) and this might help in the meantime so I will pass it along. If you copy the transformed text into a brand new text box and work with it from there, the leading works and you can scrub with the arrow keys just fine afterwards without having to use the Properties window. I haven't tested it a million different ways, but it seems good so far for me. If you go to the forum mentioned, search for Photoshop CC 2018 line spacing  and you should find the discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This issue has been a genuine pain. And though I understand that accidents happen to us all, it boggles the mind that Adobe let this one slip through the cracks and land in our laps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've found a work around. Try entering the leading value in the 'Properties panel' rather than the 'Character panel'. The two panels will show different values but I've found this works for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated my Windows CC Apps to 2018 and now there are some pretty bad bugs:

- Editing the line-height of a font - for example to 16px outputs 67,121 (random number). Even with the up and down keys i get random line-height numbers. Only the predefined line-heights by clicking on the line-height gets results

- Saving for web STRG+ALT+SHIFT-S works only every third or fourth time

- Performance seems to be much slower

System: Windows 10 Pro, i7 4770K, M2 SSD, 16GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread on alt key shortcuts: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/alt-backspace-taking-two-hits-to-work-cc-2018...

What slowdown are you seeing? This? https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/healing-and-spot-healing-brush-lag

We're looking into these issues to fix in an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, whether the text is transformed or not, doesn't matter. It will NOT let me put in the leading I want or need. This is keeping me from doing my job, on a program we are paying for. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having the issue, it means the text has been transformed. The bad part is you don’t know what text has been transformed. TEMP FIX: Open the Proprties Panel and with the Text Layer selected, you can change the Leading there. You’ll notice the actual value reflected in the Character Panel even though in the Properties Panel it immediately changes to something else.

Why? The Properties Panel is showing the scale percentage multiplied by the value you type. So of the layer has scaled up, that value will show larger. If scaled down, that value will be lower. But it does let you type in the value you want. The Character Panel is broken at the moment. When 19.0.1 comes, the Character Panel should be fixed AND the Properties Panel should show the value you type regardless of the layer being scaled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, the Character Panel is broken for any Text layers that have been scaled/transformed. For now, you can open the Properties Panel and modify the Leading value for any Text layer you have selected. Don’t worry about the value changing from what you’ve typed in (another bug). You will see that the correct value appears in the Character Panel once you’ve typed into the Properties Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, OSX High Sierra in Spanish. Rolling back to CC 2017 as this is unusable at all in my daily workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to type in a number for the paragraph spacing it bugs and inputs a load of random numbers and symbols. I can not manually input a number and must select from the predefined options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things I have noticed are slower are Save for Web, also some weird UI things where windows open for no reason, but this is not necessarily Adobe, hard to pin down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the arrow keys on the keyboard to increase or decrease line-spacing in photoshop, the increments only INCREASE and they're in HUGE increments.

If I start at 6pt then, click the UP arrow - I go to 94.26pt

then, if I click UP again, I'm at 1282.7pt.

I'm also unable to decrease by using the DOWN arrow. If I do, the number increases again:

I've reset all my preferences. I've re-booted the computer. Still NOTHING. 

What gives? This is a pretty standard feature. Is there an ALIGN TO GRID setting or something - like there is in Illustrator?

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the arrow keys on the keyboard to increase or decrease line-spacing in photoshop, the increments only INCREASE and they're in HUGE increments.

If I start at 6pt then, click the UP arrow - I go to 94.26pt

then, if I click UP again, I'm at 1282.7pt.

I'm also unable to decrease by using the DOWN arrow. If I do, the number increases again:

I've reset all my preferences. I've re-booted the computer. Still NOTHING. 

What gives? This is a pretty standard feature. Is there an ALIGN TO GRID setting or something - like there is in Illustrator?

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can't change the text leading to any random number or paste a number, i have to choose from the drop-down menu only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Copy the content in the text box
- Delete the text box
- Create a new text box
- Paste the text in to the new text box

The reason why it bugs is because you have resized the text box using the Move tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Copy the content in the text box
- Delete the text box
- Create a new text box
- Paste the text in to the new text box

The reason why it bugs is because you have resized the text box using the Move tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this works but, it's a workaround. It should be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I am sure Adobe will be working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Tami,

Yes, Dave Chapman is correct -- this bug impacts transformed text.  Unfortunately, unless you create new text from scratch, it's often hard to recognize if a given chunk of text has been transformed.  A lot of people do not realize that if you resize the bounding box to change the point size of text, you've actually transformed the text.  The bug lies in the math that displays the values in the Leading control for transformed text.  But as many other users have already confirmed, if you use untransformed text, there is no issue.  Please see Lori Kraut's comment below for other workarounds.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping as it seems mad it has taken two weeks for Adobe to address such a massive problem. The workarounds described are temporary at best and incredibly maddening to have to adjust for a long-honed workflow. Potentially rolling back to 2017 if no fix supplied soon. Not great for a very expensive product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's common practice that after big annual version follows smaller bug fix version. These version fixes broken things in major version and usually it takes few weeks. It also fixes several bugs, not only one bug. So we're probably waiting for Adobe to make a bigger bundle of fixed bugs.

It same story every year 🙂 I recommend to all uncheck "remove old version" while update process. So you have both version with same settings. Save time for using new version is after delivering small bug fix version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Bumping as it seems mad it has taken two weeks for Adobe to address such a massive problem.>

If features weren't interdependent, bugs wouldn't happen when they added/changed code to give us a new feature. Using one feature couldn't possibly break a workflow when we used another older feature.

But they are interdependent, and given that they typically only show up with a given workflow, not with all the workflows we collectively depend upon, does anyone really want such a quick fix that more workflows are broken because Adobe "rushed it out the door and didn't test it thoroughly?" That's been everyone's biggest complaint—that  Adobe doesn't care enough to test features and just rushes them out in any old state. Now the complaint after a week or so waiting is it's taking too long to fix and test?

If we don't have any patience for the "fixes," we're certainly always going to find they're breaking someone's preferred workflow—or worse.

> Potentially rolling back to 2017 if no fix supplied soon. Not great for a very expensive product.>

You don't have to roll back anything. Just re-install 2017 if you uninstalled it. Use that for type. Use whatever features work for you that you want in 2018 or ignore it until there's an update. They can run concurrently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 19.0 on macOS High Sierra 10.13
When trying to adjust the font leading using the mouse scroll, the value jumps to incorrect numbers. It doesn't allow to enter a value using the keyboard either.

Votes

Translate

Translate