Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Copy/Paste Layer style works incorrectly

Participant ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2015 on MacBook Pro

I'm having a few shapes on stage. Shapes are duplicates of Rounded Rectangle with the same size and properties.
1. I add Drop Shadow effect to one of the shapes.
2. I make Copy Layer Style action over it.
3. I Paste Layer Style to the rest of the shapes.

The result: drop shadow effect is pasted to all layer, but with wrong parameters (shadow is with larger distance and blur: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdw5a3mei73...)

I tried it multiple times over various layers, both single layer and multiple layers, shapes, text, bitmaps — the result is the same, effects are copies and pasted with
wrong parameters.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015
This should be solved by the CC 2015.1 update that was released today: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate
26 Comments
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only closing and reopening the document helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Artem,

So a couple of us have tried really hard to repro this, but cannot.  What OS version are you running?  Do you have something else running which might mess with your clipboard?

We have had a couple reports of Layer Styles getting tweaked when copied, but have been unable to repro any of these issues in-house.  Maybe you can share with us the "smoking gun."  We'd certainly like to get to the bottom of the problem.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of same here, happening to me, just with stroke. Copying layer style that has 3px stroke, when I paste it to another layer, the stroke is there, but it's 1px.

Experimenting further, I change the stroke weight on the first layer to 15px, copy it, paste the style to second layer, and voila, now it's 3px heavy.

OSX 10.10.4 on a 13-inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Pro.
Running: just PS and Safari to write the report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double check the resolution on each image. If the resolution is different, then the style settings will be scaled to match the new resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resolution is the same in my case. All shapes are in the same document and were created as duplicates of the single shape before applying effect to the first one.

Based on what Pavel wrote, it seems like sometimes the system pastes the effect that was in clipboard before the current one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,
my system: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxjzltlo8w5...

Usually having running a lot, can't provide whats been there up when this bug occurred. I'll try to provide more info on this if I reproduce it again.

Thanks,
Artem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pavel,

Can I go out on a limb and ask if you've applied that stroke either to text or to some object that you've transformed?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Artem,

Wait, you're NOT getting this bug repeatedly?  You do realize that ALL files/documents are subject to random corruption due to power surges, hardware imperfections, and conflicts as well as bugs, right?  If you only have this problem with a single file, any number of factors OTHER than this feature could be the cause.

It's not likely that the clipboard becomes corrupted with usable data.  More likely is some other app compromises it.  Sure, PS could be the source of the problem, but as I cannot reproduce what you're seeing, unless you can, I think this may just be a fluke.

If you can get a reproducible case, I'm VERY interested in tracking this down and fixing it.  Otherwise, there's not much I can do as I cannot get this to happen at all.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello David,
actually, I was able to reproduce the bug.

1. after I read your comments to Artem's posts, I tried to reproduce the stroke bug, opened the file I was working on when it happened, but everything worked as it should and the bug didn't occur. Decided to test a bit more, and I think I can reproduce the bug repeatedly:

2. Close all the files in PS and make a new document, A4, 300dpi, RGB.
3. Make a new layer
4. Make a rectangle (pixels not a shape)
5. Alt-drag duplicate it.
6. On the first layer, layer style: stroke 10px
7. Copy the style, paste it to the second layer.
8. The stroke weight is 42px

9. I closed the file and quit PS. Run it again, same procedure, same results.

sidenote: when it first happened, I was applying it to a photo layer with a layer mask.

So I guess the cause is not really a corrupted file. Also, no app other than PS was running at the time. If you'd like some more info, let me know, I'll be happy to help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,
I noticed the problem only once on a production file, and that was a new document just created in PS CC 2015. And after I read what Pavel wrote below, I could easily reproduce it with my common flow:
1. Create new A4 document.
2. Make a rectangular Shape layer.
3. Cmd+J to duplicate the layer.
4. Apply drop shadow to the initial layer. Use the default shadow parameters, do not make any changes to it.
5. Copy layer style, and apply it to the second shape.

As a result of this flow I have different drop shadow style pasted: with much larger blur and distance. I could reproduce it twice with two new documents.

Please let us know if you could reproduce it. Otherwise I could provide more details on my app and OS preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Pavel,

*pout*

Okay, I tried your EXACT steps, but couldn't reproduce the problem at all on either Mac 10.10.3 or Win8.1.  Very odd.  There's got to be some piece missing.  Would you be up to do a web-hosted screenshare -- maybe by watching you live, I can see what I'm missing now.  Just respond and I'll follow up by email.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello David,
sorry for the delay, been quite busy recently. However, I managed to record the process on a vid: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3rqb95gjiy...

Hope it helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can reproduce this problem in-house and are actively working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 month later - Nothing!!!

A have this problem all the time.
I copy-paste layer styles quite frequently a it just does not work at all, it realy sucks!

Please DO something about it ASAP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem since I updated to the new version of Photoshop CC.

If I have a layer style with a drop shadow or stroke, and I copy that layer style and paste, the drop shadow or stroke parameters are not replicated.

Example:

I just copied the layer style of a rounded rectangle layer with 2px white stroke

Pasted it onto another rounded rectangle layer with no layer effects.

This layer now has a 1px white stroke instead of a 2px.

I don't understand why this continues to happen.

I'm working on a MacBook Pro Version 10.10.5.

Anyone have a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's annoying. I get it often with Drop Shadow. Recently I noticed that with Pattern Overlay — if I copy/paste style layer style with Pattern Overlay, the pattern scale get somewhere around 300% (original layer has it 100%). It repeats over and over again.

Looking forward for updates from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today
Pasted Layer Style
Changed the stroke width from 2 to 9 and changed the stroke color.

Sounds like the fix is restart doc and go get a cup of coffee.
????

Sounds like a great production strategy.
:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem since updating Photoshop. My stroke does not paste correctly, it is always a smaller stroke than the layer I am copying from. Also, when I set my own default layer style filters, they do not save correctly and are always reverting back to some setting that I have not ever used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here ... really disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be solved by the CC 2015.1 update that was released today: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated PS CC 2015 today, but the problem persists. I'll copy layer style for a drop shadow with the desired specifications, then when layer style is pasted it has differing settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fast forward to 2017 & the problem persists. I paste a simple Drop Shadow Layer Style (Multiply), & it changes the color of my Normal blend mode object to a lighter one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD ISSUE PASTE LAYER STYLE AFTER.PNGPSD ISSUE PASTE LAYER STYLE.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FILE: TEXT 1 

FILE: TEXT 2

In  file Text 1, I apply Effect (Bevel & Emboss) 

Adjust the peramiters so that the lighting of text global lighting is white at 145 angle and 12 altitude. I set the depth to 1 size to 1 soften to 0.

I copy the layer style by right clicking the text layer with the FX, and open FILE TEXT 2.

I Paste the LAYER STYLE to text layer that I pasted into File Text 2. (I have even tried pasting the layer style to brand new text. The values in Layer style panel are Completely Oposite.

Random Depth 137 Size 7 soften 11 angle 90 altitude 30. 

This has been going on for three years now. I am really beginning to believe adobe just is going out of business and cannot make a solid program. The prior versions in 2010 were PERFECT. Now, I run into so many unfixable bugs this is ridiculous. It slows me down and gets me in trouble at work too. 

Thank you.

Just a heads up this problem DOES PERSIST in DECEMBER of 2022. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD ISSUE PASTE LAYER STYLE AFTER.PNGPSD ISSUE PASTE LAYER STYLE.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate