• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crash Report form says 'invalid email address' if the address contains special characters

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a problem using the Photoshop CC 2019 Shake Reduction filter, which started to crash when used, and not failing gracefully either. It's happened multiple times over the last few months, and is an issue that I believe is the subject of a separate ongoing thread.

However...

When the crash happens, the "Adobe Crash Report" form pops up, saying Photoshop has crashed, and has:

- a free text field to add a description,
 - a checkbox to "Allow Adobe to contact me"
 - a text field to enter an email address
 - and a couple of submit/cancel buttons

I've tried to add and send a description many times, but the form simply will not let me, because when I enter my email address and click submit, it simply brings up a popup that says 'invalid email address' and does not submit.

So I think I've worked out why this is:

My email address contains a hyphen, but the text field has formatting that enters an error catch condition for certain special characters and rejects the address if it finds them.

This leaves the user not sure what has happened, and with little faith that the report has been sent. 

I suspect the outcome of this is that many users have tried to report an issue asking Adobe to contact them via this mechanism but have failed because they couldnt enter a 'valid' email address - but it would appear intermittant because not all email addresses contain special characters.

Having a bug in the reporting feedback mechanism probably isn't that good.

Could someone check this out please?

Ta

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
This issue should be fixed in the 21.2 update that went out this AM. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This links to the ongoing Photoshop CC 2019 Shake Reduction discussion here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/shake-reduction-crashes-photshop-cc-2019?topi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to the Adobe online help on Crash Reports, this post is referring to the Adobe Crash Reporter dialog shown in this knowlegebase article - its the textbox highlighted with a red '2' that's not working correctly:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html

just to recap: if your email address contains a special character like a hyphen it is rejected - even if the address you are entering is definately valid and the one you used to register with Adobe. 

For example:

testemail@adobe.com would be OK, but test-email@adobe.com is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested this error a little more, because Shake Reduction crashes nearly every time I use it, even on Photoshop CC 20.02, which I upgraded to yesterday.

So this happens on 18, 19 and now version 20.

I have found that trying to insert into the Crash Reporter dialog any email address containing any one of these characters results in the for saying the address is invalid:

? * ! £ $ % ^ & ( ) - =

BUT, an underscore or a dot tested fine, meaning that:

test.email@adobe.com and test_email@adobe.com

are accepted. The error looks like:

Whats the correct way to submit this as a bug?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard, there is an open issue with the crash reporter team to fix this. Please use an underscore to submit logs in the meantime and put your real address in the description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, I apprieciate you looking at this, I will do, many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2019 Sep 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, are you suggesting that in addition to putting our real email address in the description, we also put a fake, non-functioning email address into the address field? Is that more effective on your end than including the same description but simply leaving the address field blank?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This issue should be fixed in the 21.2 update that went out this AM. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate