Exit

P: CS6 -Text Layers re-written from some ancient cache

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

here's the issue.

When editing a text layer with the type tool, without pasting or anything, just entering the editing of the layer, Photoshop somehow pastes some cache'd text. Mind you - this isn't text that would have even been entered during the editing session.

Please take a look at the video of this bug in action.

http://youtu.be/ureQYxlsp6M

So instead of editing, sometimes, the text layer just pastes whatever from the cache.
This exact thing also happens, if you convert the group holding the layers to a Smart Object.

I can't figure out what happens that makes the layer affected or how to circumvent.
The only way I go around this is copying one of the layers that appear unaffected by this cache thing and editing them again, however, it does re-occur at some point after saving.

Please help, this is a really obnoxious bug.

I'm on Photoshop CS6 13.0.4 x64 on OSX 10.8.4 right now, but this has been happening to me consistently for about a year and I've been updating.
In fact I just updated to 13.0.5 x64 and still no cigar.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013
Howdy Aleks,

The problem in Photoshop is now fixed.

If you're using the latest version of CS6 or CC, you will NOT have this problem reappear unless you open a file that's already been corrupted. The problem can only move to a new file if you move text with the problem from one file to another via copy/paste or drag/drop. So, if you create a new file using the latest version, you should be totally golden.

Sorry for the problem, but at least the solution should be bullet-proof.

Thanks,
Davi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Octop,

You are describing a known bug that was introduced at some point during development of either CS5 or CS6 (I don't recall which, though I believe it was a prerelease build). Anyway, the underlying file you have is corrupted; there is no way to fix it. I mean, yeah, we can try stuff, but to be safe, I would recreate the file. Do NOT copy and paste any of the text layers; that is liable to bring over the same problem to the new file. I know this isn't great news, but I'm afraid it's all I've got...other than the bug is fixed and will not reappear in the current versions!

Sorry,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thanks so much for your swift reply.
I mean apart from re-creating it again, is there any way to get the PSD to not be broken in the future? Is this a recurring problem that is...unfixable?
I've lost many hours of work because of this. I'm pretty good about saving more and more versions, but still...kind of a reliability issue (not that there's a Photoshop alternative)

Thanks

Aleks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Aleks,

The problem in Photoshop is now fixed.

If you're using the latest version of CS6 or CC, you will NOT have this problem reappear unless you open a file that's already been corrupted. The problem can only move to a new file if you move text with the problem from one file to another via copy/paste or drag/drop. So, if you create a new file using the latest version, you should be totally golden.

Sorry for the problem, but at least the solution should be bullet-proof.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was corrupted when it was saved in a previous version of Photoshop.
Using the current version, new files won't have the same problem.

But the existing file is already mixed up, and resaving it will preserve that mixed up status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this file has ever only seen CS6 (and was made about two/three weeks ago). We update regularly. Or do you mean the latest update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this has been fixed in the latest version (13.0.5)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean the bug was in 13.0, and fixed in a dot release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. 13.0.5 should NOT create the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks David!

Votes

Translate

Translate