• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Decoupling the presetted "usual" brush size from OS operating aids (macOS) [2016]

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Photoshop 23.3.1 (and older!)

2. Mac OS 12.3.1 (and older!)

3. The Setting for brush size is put to "usual",

• means the diameter of that temporary circle should be exactly the same as the brushstroke, independent of the selected hardness
  • Due to a large monitor, a slightly enlarged view of the mouse pointer can be helpful to some users.
    Thanks to the Mac OS operating aids, you can customise this individually.

4. Now the size of the brushstroke and the diameter of that surrounded circle in Photoshop doesn't match any more.

• While the operating aids of Mac OS display a larger image of the mouse pointer in a fixed solution, the brushstroke in Photoshop is variable and proportional to the zoom factor of the picture.
  • Unfortunatelly the OS operation aid zoom for the mouse pointer influences the diameter of that circle, too.
  • In this case it ist not possible to adjust the position of the brushstroke exactly, that's a pitty.

5. The best would be, if you can set the Ps brushsize decoupled from the OS operating aids. (Maybe a checkbox at that section, which allows you to de-/activate a professional view)

Thanks for listening. Best Frank

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

@marc21867922j5d2 

I had this issue for several years and versions and found out through these forums that the problem was that I had changed my cursor size in System Prefs > Accessibility > Display. Setting the size to Normal fixed the Brush size issue in Photoshop. Can you try that?

https://www.howtogeek.com/317969/how-to-make-the-mouse-cursor-bigger-or-smaller-on-your-mac/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Incorrect Brush size: On macOS, the painted result is smaller than the brush cursor size you see on screen, determine if you have an increased Cursor Size specified in your System Preferences: Accessibility > Display settings

Make sure it's set to "Normal"

cursorsize-accessibility.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Are you using a mac os?

If you are, it's probably that the system cursor size is set to something other than Normal.

Go to System Preferences>Accessibility>Display and set the Cursor size to Normal

cursor.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
97 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested by c.pfaffenbichler, go to Apple>System Preferences>Accessibility>Display and set the Cursor size to Normal.

1784994_cs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: Please post a screenshot of the Apple > System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Cursor window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, and this is what caused it.  I wish that I could have the cursor size larger than normal, and have it effect every cursor except the paint brush in Photoshop.  Thank you for the screenshot.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J Gwaltney 

I  asked that question three days ago in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/eraser-tool-not-erasing-everything-in...

Changing my cursor in System Prefs has fixed it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

janee_0-1638718025121.png

Also, I've sent you a PM, as I know someone with your first initial and last name who is a Photoshop pro.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane. Not sure how to access PMs here, but will keep looking. Yes, Photoshop still had the ability to drive me crazy - more love than hate, though. xoxo Joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J Gwaltney 

Oh, good you've signed your name — I knew it was you, Joy!

In the upper right corner there is an envelope, bell, and your avatar. Click the envelope. There should be a "1 unread" next to it. Barb and Mike are also ACPs here and you should be, too!

xoxo,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I found this response and in my case it worked:
*Jeff Arola * * • Adobe Community Professional , Jul 04, 2019 *
*On the mac side go to Apple>System Preferences>Accessibility>Display and
set the Cursor size to Normal.*

This was driving me crazy. I have copied your tips and will keep them if
Photoshop starts acting wonky again.

Thanks for your help. Joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of precise pixel editing but sinds the M1 version that has become a problem as the brush tool is not working properly anymore.

The tool is bigger than the area it affects. In the example image, the grey part represents the visual tool, the white part is the effect on the image. Hardness is 100% so the effect should be to the edge but it is not.

It is on every resolution and size, very frustrating to do precise pixel editing that way.

Can't remember having this before the M1 so I think it's a bug but I welcome any solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ow, i use the latest version and I have reset all tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incorrect Brush size: On macOS, the painted result is smaller than the brush cursor size you see on screen, determine if you have an increased Cursor Size specified in your System Preferences: Accessibility > Display settings

Make sure it's set to "Normal"

cursorsize-accessibility.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

j'utilise la dernière mise à jour de Photoshop sur un mac mini M1.

D'un coup, j'ai eu ça avec la gomme et je me demande s'il s'agit d'un bug ou d'une mauvaise manipulation : si je prends la GOMME => CRAYON/PINCEAU => quand je clique, la gomme ne s'efface qu'aumilieu du cercle et pas sur la totalité (cf photo).

Une idée ?

Merci beaucoup pour votre aide 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, that indeed soved it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ohhhhhh thank you so much... you are the best!

I had actually changed the size of the slider because I have an XXL screen... I didn't know it did that on photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a brand new mac M1 chip with Big Sur 11.6.1, using the latest photoshop 22.5.1. (the older versions give the same problem)

When using a brush, pensil, ereser, it only uses the inner half of the selected size, so everthing is hlaf the size as selected, but if set to softness zero, it only usees the hard inner half, so I don's get a soft brush at all. Adobe has been on my computer for over an hour, but coukldn't solve the problem.

Can anybody help me??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@marc21867922j5d2 

I had this issue for several years and versions and found out through these forums that the problem was that I had changed my cursor size in System Prefs > Accessibility > Display. Setting the size to Normal fixed the Brush size issue in Photoshop. Can you try that?

https://www.howtogeek.com/317969/how-to-make-the-mouse-cursor-bigger-or-smaller-on-your-mac/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to figure out this problem for way too long. This fixed it! Thank you! !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No matter which brushes I use - Adobe default, purchased or homemade - they will not come out full size.   This is NOTHING to do with hardness because brush settings are full hardness, so nothing to do with feathering.  I have set cursor preferences to full size and 50% to compare sizes but the results are exactly the same, ie. much smaller.  The cursor itself looks the same size for both settings and the results are always the same size - much smaller.  Good examples would be my signature brush, or my tree brush, ie. these are bog standard brushes, no jitter, no settings whatsoever, just lay down once, plain brushes.  The size I see on screen (adjusted with [ or ], or the brush size slider) is NOT the size that results when clicked into place. As stated above, both 50% and full size settings in cursor preferences result in exactly the same smaller size being laid down.  This is a real pain because one constantly has to CTRL+T to make things bigger if using a brush to place one item.  However, if using a brush to actually dodge and burn, or mask something, it's even worse because you cannot guarantee where and what you are masking, it's very pot luck.

I'm using a new high spec MacBook Pro, so this should not be an issue with power or graphics cards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sue Leonard 

I dealt with this for several versions, then learned on these forums how to fix it. Go to Apple menu > System Prefs > Accessibilty > Display > Cursor and change the cursor size to normal (all the way to the left).

https://support.apple.com/en-kw/guide/mac-help/mchl5bb12e1e/mac

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In earlier versions of PS, if the Precise cursor was used with a 100% hard brush tip (and no options), it would paint or erase precisely up to the border of the cursor. It doesn't seem to perform that way in PS2022 anymore. I haven't found a setting or Pref that will make it perform like it did in earlier versions  of Photoshop. Is there some new setting or Pref in PS2022 that I'm failing to use, or is this function broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh gosh, had I seen the other post about 2 down from here, I'd have never posted this. The Apple Accessibilty cursor setting was slight larger than default. When pushed to the left, the Precise cursor behaves correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Frank Heller 

I'm glad you posted that you found my earlier reply — I was about to copy and paste it into here! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woohoo!  That did it!  

Of course my cursor is now microscopic on my two massive monitors all the time, but I enabled the "Shake mouse pointer to locate" feature so it enlarges when I shake the mouse back & forth (Mac OS Monterey).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have the cursor a bit larger to fix the inDesign problem with screen flashing black when moving objects? :)) i now have to remember to switch between normal cursor and a bit larger.

talking about this https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/screen-flashing-black-when-moving-objects/m-p/77... - so glad I found about that trick that I want everyone to learn this. And maybe Adobe will bother fixing it after years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this valuable feedback, I am adding them to our notes on work under investigation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate