• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Direct + Path Selection Tools keep reverting back to Active Layers

Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2015.5.1 - Is anyone else having an issue with the Selection Tools not staying on All Layers?

Has been repeatedly set to:

Consistently reverts back to:

I don't ever want it set to Active Layers, so I deleted the "Direct Selection Mode Toggle" keyboard shortcut a long time ago to keep from inadvertently changing it. I've saved a new Workspace after setting to All Layers, didn't make a difference. Don't know what more can be done to get it to stay. Any help?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017
This issue should be fixed in the latest release of Photoshop CC: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/get-the-goods-announcing-updates-to-photoshop-cc-dimension...

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this after I posted. This guy explains it perfectly and precisely. His question was never answered, just randomly got asked what version of Photoshop he was talking about.

Path/Direct Select tool select mode randomly resets to Active Layers
Not sure if anyone else has encountered this issue but I'll often find that when I'm trying to select a vector shape with either the Path or Direct Select tool I won't be able to because the tool has reset it's select mode to Active Layers. It took awhile to figure out what had gone wrong the first time because I assumed once I set the mode to All Layers it would stay that way. This is not the case.

It's not as if this happens when I first open Photoshop or a PSD either. I'll be working on a single PSD for a couple hours, swapping between tools etc. Then occasionally when I swap back to the vector selection tools the select mode will be reset to Active Layers.

I haven't been able to replicate this on purpose in order to figure out when/why it's happening but it does occur VERY frequently. Has anyone else encountered this and figured out why it happens?
edited: fixed link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Asking again for any solution to this. It been stable for a couple of days, which is longer than usual, but it started doing it again today. Once it happens it then continually keeps doing it. Is this option supposed to be stored in the document or an overall application setting? Really frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tool options are usually stored with the application preferences. Are you using the same workspace or do you change between multiple workspaces?

I'll ask something on the team to try and reproduce, but if you discover the steps to consistently reproduce, that would be most helpful for us to track it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, sounds good.

I do not change workspaces and believe me, I've tried to track down a trigger but this appears to be genuinely random. It just seems like a glitch in whatever code that makes a preference "stick".

Look at the screenshots again, the problem is as simple as it looks... I set it to All Layers, Photoshop changes it back to Active Layers. Sometimes it will stick for an hour or two and sometimes (rarely) for a day or two. Still other times it will change back just by selecting another tool and back. Again, the keyboard shortcut for toggling this is completely disabled so it's not that - I tried using the shortcut anyway to check and it's not changing anything, it's truly disabled. I really don't post problems unless I've tried and tested everything I can. Completely stumped on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2016 Oct 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should restart manualy Photoshop if you want make settings persistent. Otherwise you risk losing you settings and presets if Photoshop process is violently interrupted. Crash or restart PC.

I do not know if this is your case, but I mention it for completeness. I don't manualy close Photoshop whole weeks sometimes. And risk of Photoshop process interupting is high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 16, 2016 Oct 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jaro,

Thank you and an excellent suggestion but also one of the first things I tried. I remember back in the days of Quark and how Preference changes had to be made while no documents were open and took hold after quitting and restarting the app (InDesing followed this approach too). With Photoshop you MUST have a document open in order to change anything on the Direct/Path Selection tools otherwise the options are greyed out, inactive.

Other steps taken:

1. Saving a specific Tool preset - there is no way to save a preset for Direct Selection Tool. You can only for Path Selection Tool and it has made no difference because by default it will open back up on the default Tool setting and NOT the preset. Argh.

2. Preset Manager: saving an entire Tools preset - selected All Layers and saved an entire Tools preset through Preset Manager. Made no difference. Argh.

3. Saving a custom Toolbar preset - made a custom Toolbar preset with all Tools set the way I prefer. Custom Toolbar works great but unfortunately has no effect on this issue. Argh.

4. Resetting all Photoshop Preferences - still, persistently changing from All Layers back to Active Layers. @&#%$!

5. Creating a new Workspace from scratch - new Workspace with all Tools set the way I prefer them. Photoshop still decides Active Layers would be a better choice. Nearing Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down' levels of frustration...

This is not too dissimilar to the issue of Tools not remembering the last selected Tool. Remember that a few months back? Tool shortcuts resetting to default tool
This one Tool's preference just isn't sticking and there shouldn't really be any kind of "user error" to interfere with this simple of a setting, it's either A or B. So I really don't think it's anything on my end and other Tools are holding their settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is something I've tracked down.

This option is reset anytime the "Preferences" dialog is opened. Also, Opening "Preferences" changes any active tool to the Eye Dropper Tool, weird. So anytime Preference is opened the Eye Dropper Tool is activated AND the Path Tools get reset back to "Active Layers". Eye Dropper Tool goes away immediately after closing the the Preferences.

Can you guys test this and see if it just something on this system or in fact a weird bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having a related issue where the Constrain Path Dragging option isn't sticking. Something's obviously wrong the the Selection Tool prefs. If i remember correctly, this issue was flagged on the 2015 release and still has yet to be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>This option is reset anytime the "Preferences" dialog is opened. 

I can confirm that this is what causes the reset. Nice work tracking that down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Also, Opening "Preferences" changes any active tool to the Eye Dropper Tool, weird. So anytime Preference is opened the Eye Dropper Tool is activated AND the Path Tools get reset back to "Active Layers". >

That's got to be one of the weirder bugs I've seen. I'm impressed you were able to find the cause. Now we just need Adobe to find the cure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any thoughts on this Adobe? Can you at least acknowledge you've seen this? Same thing is happening in CC 2017 too. Maybe change the title to include that since it's the same issue in CC 2015 and CC 2017.

• CC 2015: opening 'Preferences' causes these specific Tools' options to reset.
  • CC 2017: opening then clicking anything in 'Preferences' causes them to reset.

eartho,
You've probably figured this out by now, but it is the cause of the 'Constrain Path Dragging' option resetting as well as the 'Active/All Layers' option.

Chisten,
Weird indeed. Always thought the 'Rulers being on causing performance issues' was the most random but this one is close. Maybe not as harmful, but weird and random nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I was out of the office for a week with my youngest daughter in the hospital when you replied. I'm getting caught up this week. Good sleuthing. I can reproduce what you describe and will have the engineering team look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. Hope she's doing well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is still present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for uncovering this! This happens on my system too. I'll also add that it seems to only happen if you press OK on the preferences dialog (hitting ESC doesn't trigger the reversion).

At least now I can predict when it'll happen, rather than being rudely surprised every time a path won't select unexpectedly. 

Hopefully they fix it eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in the latest release of Photoshop CC: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/get-the-goods-announcing-updates-to-photoshop-cc-dimension...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
A little late to post but thank you and good job on this, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate