• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Double-click to rename layer doesn't work as expected

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to rename a layer or layer group I have to double-click, pause, and then click again to be able to rename the layer in the layers palette.

Note: The double-click to rename a layer works correctly if you're using tabs for your documents, or if you are in "Full Screen Mode" or "Full Screen Mode with Menu Bar".

I can only reproduce this bug when using floating documents in "Standard Screen Mode", which is how I work.

Running:
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
Mac OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan)
Photoshop 2015.1

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate
35 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James, I can't repro this off hand.

Do you have any 3rd party panels/plug-ins installed? Have you tried with default prefs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried resetting everything I could and removing any scripts and extensions I had installed, but unfortunately I'm still getting the same result.

I composed a screen recording to show what I'm getting. You'll notice in the video that upon double-clicking a layer name it turns grey instead of the usual blue, until I click it again.

Then when I change to "Full Screen" mode it works as it should.

http://cl.ly/3d0v2y0V1W1j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can repro now. Let me log an issue.

Another workaround is to turn off Window > Application Frame....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! The Window > Application Frame workaround works for me for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've set the option-command-R (ctrl+alt+r) to layer—>rename layer. Works super fast and ignores this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing layer group names is a two step process now. Doesn't seem like it's as intuative as the previous versions. I click the layer group name and it seems selected, but with a gray highlight, I then have to click it again to get the highlight to change colour and then I'm able to change the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Double click to edit layer name. It will be grayed out and wont let you make any edits. Double click again and the word(s) will highlight in blue, which is now editable.

Annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous versions of Photoshop, double clicking a layer name in the layer palette selected the text so I could type a new name. Now I have to triple or even quadruple click the layer name to hilight the text. Problem as of Photoshop 2015.1

Photoshop 2015.1, OSX 10.11.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definetely a bug and not a feature. It needs to be reverted so double-click can rename layers. Only been using 2015.1 for an hour and it's already annoyed me dozens of times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Behaviour found by James Pringle has been duplicated by myself. This problem returns back to normal when cycling through Screen Mode views using "F" and editing in Full screen mode with menu bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@russ Cycling through screen modes is a workaround, but not a solution. This was not happening on Photoshop CC2014. Also, it does not work all the times for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to this topic to say I also have this problem and I'm VERY upset with Adobe recently.

So far there are two issues started bothering me since CC2015 update: this triple/quadruple click to rename layers and the Wacom driver / multiple shape selection issue.

It is sad that we are hostages of Adobe software.

Running PS CC 2015.1.1
on OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 2015.1.1 It is more difficult than it was in previous versions to change the name of a layer in your layers palette. Before i could double click the name and it would be prepared to change. In the current version if i double click the name it appears to be ready to edit but in reality i need to click it 1 or 2 more times in order for it to be high lighted blue and be ready to edit. This has substantially slowed down my workflow. I would really like to see the feature of renaming layers (as well as paths and channels) return to the old double-click and type method.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@russ I second Leandro's sentiment. I'm struggling with this problem as well, it runs counter to the behavior that Adobe has instilled in us by making double click to rename the same way in every single release until now. This is a major bug and needs to be fixed in, if not the next update, then another one in the immediate future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2016 Jan 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my official comment. We're working on it for our next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2016 Jan 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jefferey, Awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also hit this issue with requiring extra clicks to get into edit mode and rename a layer. I just confirmed it goes away if I reset to open documents in Tabs under Workspaces. That is not the way I like to work but it hinders me much less than the edit layer name issue. Now if they could fix the lack of contrast in the interface to go back to the previous releases I'd be happy. I'm trying to adjust but it isn't happening so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be fixed in the latest PS CC update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2016 Feb 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is the next update to resolve this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to be fixed... kills workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's been 3 months. This subscription/digital delivery lark seems to be getting the same response time to bugs as the old media method. So much for progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a clean system install, installed all the latest Adobe Apps that I use, and came to this problem of triple (at least) clicking to rename a darn layer or channel. WOW this is annoying, how in the world did Adobe release it this way, it's not like it's hard to notice. It annoys me to distraction a couple times a minute when I am working. Total flow killer. While turning off application frame does work, it is not how I like to work in Photoshop, with all the background apps visually distracting focus.

please someone fix this yesterday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this same issue. Come on really disrupts a workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ray, agreed -- but I don't notice it anymore, after I got accustomed to running without the "Application Frame" on (under the Window menu). That seems to do the trick...for now, at least!

Still, come on, Adobe -- please fix this ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate