• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export As image quality significantly lower than old Save for Web

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downscaling an image using Export As produces blurry and stepped images. Save for Web produces clean and smooth images. This is using the latest version 21.1.1 on Windows. This image was 4500x3000, I've downscaled it to 1500x1000 in both Export As and Save for Web.

Just look at the attached images and see how the word "Cover" looks so much worse in Export As when compared to Save for Web.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Unfortunately, the display profile issue is another thing we are working on. The good news is that the exported file will be correctly color managed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
19 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Louis, in Export As, what setting do you have for "Resample" under Image Size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried them all and none seem to do any  appreciable change to the image. Maybe the Preserve Details is a touch better, but we're talking about a little touch really, it doesn't solve the issue at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing something strange. When I use Export As with a 5616 x 3744 exact 3:2 aspect ratio the Image Size changes to 1502 x 1000 when entering either W or H value first. Also the Export As JPEG file appears slightly sharper than the Save for Web JPEG using the same settings except it is 1500 x 1000, which is opposite what the OP is seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to this (because I don't know if a shared library might be involved) but there is a bug in Bridge where Extendscript bitmapData.resize() sometimes rounds incorrectly. An exact 5:4 file sometimes resizes to 1000x799 pixels, for example. It was reported sometime back to the Bridge team. I ran into it during development of my JPEG MiniExport script for Bridge. I haven't seen it with the new Bridge Export feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share the original file you're using to export from for the eng team to investigate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because it's not "mine", it's a mockup I've licensed for my use, but you can find it here: https://elements.envato.com/us-letter-magazine-mockup-VN7KUN
I ran into the same issue today with this one too: https://elements.envato.com/supplement-bottle-mock-up-SEPK75
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the opposite of what you're seeing  and can't duplicate the issue (see below post). Without an original file that exhibits the issue there's no way Adobe Engineering or anyone else can determine what's wrong and help you.

Can you duplicate the issue with one of your own files that you can provide? It would also help to provide screenshots showing the 'Export As' and 'Save for Web' settings you are using.  Like I said I'm seeing the opposite of what you're seeing, "the Export As JPEG file appears slightly sharper than the Save for Web JPEG using the same settings."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. I've managed to replicate this issue, and then some, with a file of my own. Since we can't attached PSD files here (we can't attached PSD files on a Photoshop feedback site?) here's a WeTransfer link: https://we.tl/t-UB4dm0sCtC

The first thing you might notice after opening the file and comparing with the images I've attached below is that it appears I've deleted one of the text blocks. There's a large bold text block in the middle that's not seen in my screenshots. Here's the best part, I haven't deleted anything!

The bold text block is visible if you try to Export As with 100% scale, but if you go down the scale the block disappears... I guess I've stumbled by mistake on a larger issue. Nice to know.

Now, onto the issue of this thread. You can see the settings below:

Here's a 300% zoom detail of the text. The stepping is pretty obvious:

The Save for Web settings, same 300% zoom for clarity, no stepping and we can actually see all text elements:

In case you think it's just a visual artefact, exporting the file with Export As really does not show the bolded text at the middle, and the stepping really is there.

Between missing elements, stepped images, and random image crops if the image contains a transparent background (this has been reported on other threads, and it's been a problem for years), I really fail to see why should we use this function. It's broken in multiple ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Luis. I can confirm what you are seeing with posted file Test File.psd. This should help Adobe Engineering fix these issues with the Export As function. The disappearance of that top layer is a real mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the sample. I've asked engineering to talk a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this post is a bit old, but I've been going though our backlog and have some information on this issue.

There are some issues with Smart Objects in Export As currently. One, the rendering of them creates wavy lines on the edges of objects. This is most noticeable on text and vector objects. Two, smart objects with a Warp Transform applied will seem to disappear. What is actually happening is that the embedded object gets transformed multiple times but the bounding box remains the same. The object moves outside of the box and is essentially masked out. You can work around these issue by not using smart objects for export (rasterize these layers or flatten the image). We are currently working on a solution. 

Last, Todd's ratio changes: There is a limit of 2 decimal places in the math. For your example, 5616 / 1500 = 3.744. This gets rounded to 3.74. 5616 / 3.74 = ~1501.6, rounded up to 1502. We've updated Export As and it now handles the math better, you'll get the correct 1500. Just make sure you are using the newer version of Export As. Check your Preferences, either Technology Preview or Export. You should see the option to use "Enable Optimized Export As" in the former or "Use Legacy Export As" in later (not both) depending on the version of Photoshop. Turn the first one on or make sure the second one is off. When you run this upgraded version of Export As, you will see a version number near the Export/Cancel buttons. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@brett_n

I can confirm checking 'Enable Optimized Export As' in the Technology Preview Preferences fixes the 1000x1502 rounding error, which now correctly exports as 1000 x 1500. Thanks for fixing this issue! 

I noticed the Export As module's preview is not using the display profile. I'm using a wide gamut monitor and consequently the image appears over saturated. Not sure if that was the case previously. Just an FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the display profile issue is another thing we are working on. The good news is that the exported file will be correctly color managed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brett, good to hear your are working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my screen recording here.

I've had this issue for a long time.  Wasn't sure what was happening, but I identified it today.

Using Photoshop 23.3.2

MacOS Monterey

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,2

Chip: Apple M1 Max

Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)

Memory: 64 GB

System Firmware Version: 7459.121.3

OS Loader Version: 7459.121.3

Hardware UUID: 51D52D99-FEBC-552F-BBCE-E543F1CE31E4

Provisioning UDID: 00006001-001C41C02E02801E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi for smart objects when you place or drag the logo in real size then convert it to a smart object and resize it, and the next thing is it will show according to given size and look normal at its 100% view...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how smart objects work.   I happen to be working with a smart object that is 3.5% of its original size.  Yet it exports poorly at 200%.   Watch the video for the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its not a vector... but a raster graphic if you scale it up super big it will look poorly.

If you were to climb up on a billboard along the street... you will see that the image is not 100% clear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @clevermill.com, the team is aware of this and activly working on it.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate