Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Free Transform Maintain Aspect Ratio broken

Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2548795

When the Maintain Aspect Ratio box is unchecked, Free Transform should be non-proportional.

However, in version 20 (Oct 2018 release) the aspect ratio remains locked whether or not the Maintain Aspect Ratio box is clicked. Only using the shift key (new behaviour) seems to work.

Reported in Adobe Photoshop forums by Win 10 users.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 21, 2019 Aug 21, 2019
Go to Preferences > General...and check "Use Legacy Free Transform" for the old behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate
60 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am not mistaken this has been a conscious and prominently announced decision on the Photoshop team’s part. 

Quote from 
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html
Transform proportionally by default
Photoshop now transforms all layer types (such as pixel layers, type layers, shape layers, bitmaps, Placed Smart Objects) proportionally by default.
When transforming a layer, you no longer need to hold down the Shift key while dragging a corner handle to resize a selected layer to constrain its proportions. Anytime you drag a corner handle during transform and move it, the layer resizes proportionally. Holding down the Shift key now resizes non-proportionally when you drag a corner handle during transform.

To resize a layer proportionally during transform, do the following:
  1. Select the layer(s) you want to resize in the Layers panel.
  1. Press Command + T (Mac) / Control + T (Win). Alternatively, choose Edit > Free Transform.
  1. Drag a corner handle on the bounding box to resize the layer.
  1. Commit the changes.

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

For related helpful information, see the following links: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the bug here is for the constrain button in the tool options bar.  It's being ignored when unchecked in the new default constrained mode.  good bug.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not the issue. That was the initial thought in the Adobe forum discussion linked above but that's not what this is about.

The change in behaviour to Transform proportionally by default is a new feature - despite many people initially thinking it was a bug. 

The issue here is that the Maintain Aspect Ratio box is being ignored by CC 2019 when transforming. Whether it's checked or unchecked, the transform is always proportional. It has now been confirmed on both Windows and Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am not mistaken this has been a conscious and prominently announced decision on the Photoshop team’s part. 
Understood and that's what I thought initially in the Adobe forum discussion linked above where this bug report had its origins.

But that's not what is being reported here.

The bug here is that the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" setting has no effect with the new default behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly - When you un-check the Maintain Aspect Ratio constrain link on the toolbar and then use transform it still maintains aspect ratio. . . un-checking the link should disable aspect ratio shouldn't it? 

The shift key + transform disables aspect ratio but doesn't correspond with the constrain link on the tool bar. 
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an option to roll back to the old behaviour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the frustration. Since people have come to expect that grabbing the corner of a window will transform it to scale, this is now the default. The attempt was to make it more intuitive. So now, constrained transform is simply transform (Cmd or Ctrl T), sans shift. Now *free* transform is invoked with the shift key. You can still hold the option key to center. 

If you would like to change it back, here are instructions.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text committing modifications is also screwed up, full of bugs. Please just make un update that keeps the basic functions of this program the same because I earn a living with it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I had misunderstood the original post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Bless you! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug. Maintain Aspect Ratio constrain link on the toolbar does not work. Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.0 20180920.r.24 2018

When you un-check the Maintain Aspect Ratio constrain link on the toolbar and then use transform it still maintains aspect ratio. . . un-checking the link should disable aspect ratio shouldn't it? 

The shift key + transform disables aspect ratio but doesn't correspond with the constrain link on the tool bar. 

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.0 20180920.r.24 2018/09/20: 1193433  x64
Number of Launches: 1225
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater 10.0.17134.1
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 4
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3 MHz
Built-in memory: 32627 MB
Free memory: 19421 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 29878 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 65 %
Alias Layers: Disabled.
Modifier Palette: Enabled.
Highbeam: Enabled.
Image tile size: 1024K
Image cache levels: 4
Font Preview: Huge
TextComposer: Latin
Display: 1
Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1200, right=1920
OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.
OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced
OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again, somehow I still have the old version in the cloud. I'm sticking to 19.1.6 because 20 froze twice this morning besides the free transform issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too Dragos Bruma. I have had a few problems with v20.0 here. . . I think I will wait until all the bugs are fixed.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-cc-v20-2019-crashes-when-using-the-...
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Hannah, what is the expected behaviour when the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' box is unchecked? Should it not perform as when shift drag is used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you un-check the Maintain Aspect Ratio constrain link on the toolbar and then use transform it still maintains aspect ratio. . . un-checking the link should disable aspect ratio shouldn't it? 

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem with the newest version (v 20.0). In addition, I've had to quit and restart Photoshop numerous times because tools completely stop working. I can click on the tool or use keyboard short cuts... but can't actually use the tool. This is the first time I've had issues since I started subscribing to CC. I can't believe how buggy this update is. Note: I'm running MacOS Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking the aspect ratio link box should allow you to drag a side and not keep the aspect ration. THAT is intuitive. Please fix this bug.
The shift key + transform just does "transform again". 

Is there any way to get around this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a pain, but when you're in transform, holding shift while you click and drag one of the transform box's handles. That's been working for me. Doesn't seem to matter if the aspect ration box is turned on or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make apps in the suite work more uniformly, not differently - especially with shift to constrain proportions. And don’t spend ANY time fixing this that ain’t broken. This is screened up sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks:

Thanks for your feedback. We feel your frustration and we're working to try to fix everything we can, as quickly as we can.

We ARE aware of the issue with the Maintain Aspect Ratio button. It IS a bug, we've been aware of it for some time, and unfortunately it's much harder to fix than you might think. Rest assured, we're going to fix it as soon as we can.

In the meantime, please hang in there. Depending on the layer type you're transforming, the Shift key WILL work to flip the default transform method (proportional vs. non-proportional). Turning off Proportional Transform via the gestalt control -- see Hannah's post above -- is another way to go if you get too frustrated.

-Eric Floch

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish they would revert this change. I liked the way it worked before.
However, if they won't, at least make the "lock" button work properly.
Example:
If the lock button is ON dragging will scale the image proportionally. Shift + drag will free-scale.
If the lock button is OFF the behavior is reversed. Dragging will free-scale. Shift + drag will scale proportionally.
This way you would keep old and new users happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We understand it's difficult to fix, but why release a new version with bugs that hasn't been thoroughly tested? This is not a way to win customers’ hearts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I know how many testers you engaged to check how Transformation works? Every user who upgraded Ps to current version found some bug or inconsistency about this feature. How that is possible none of your testers found something that is not possible to miss? Do you even tested 2018 and now 2019 releases or you involve us to test that was foisted?

I believe you completely did not test it since you have ZERO testers. If you had some, they'd notice that immediately. There is no way to deny that, we don't need any proof to see how obvious that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While i understood somewhat the reason for the change, why is it not the default for any transform. I mean, now. instead having to remember not to hold the shift key to constrain proportions.... but oh wait it's a shape layer and that doesn't work, you still have to hold shift to constrain proportions, so now it's twice as confusing to new users because instead of one universal transform default, we now have essentially two defaults depending on the kind of layer.

How can adobe think that makes more sense than trying to teach users the old tried and true method of holding shift for all transforms?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our questions are useless. They are no going to give any explanation why that was implemented this way. Why noone can explain why this was done not other way? Ignorance on a mass scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate