• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Freezing on Catalina 10.15.4 on MacPro2019

Participant ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last Days i've got a MacPro 2019 with a Vega Pro II Duo, 48GB Ram, 1TB SSD and os 10.15.4. as my new main Workstation. But then Problems came up with Adobe Photoshop.

I have the following problem, which is either due to Photoshop or Catalina. Anyway, after about an hour of working on a picture (16bit mode RGB) in Photoshop with the path tool, Photoshop suddenly slows down and then there is only a beach ball and in the activity manager you can see that Photoshop does not react anymore. Why? Also the transforamtion tool ist very slow. Did a check on my old workstation (MacPro2010,PS2018) with the same PSD, much faster. Videos in the link below.

Today I have completely rebuilt MacOs, formatted them with the correct erasing and then reinstalled them. No plugins or other additional software installed. Just to make sure that nothing shoots crosswise. And here were are again. After an hour of working Photshop freezes and i have to force quit. 

Please check the Adobe quality assurance to see what the problem is with GPU Acceleration.

Unfortunately I cannot install Mojave on this machine (just Catalina supported) to test if it does not appear there. If someone has similar problems with the path tool or transformation tool it would be nice to post here. Unfortunately not many people seem to have such a problem. So it might be because of my configuration? Or all People still on Mojave, because Catalina is not as good. I also did an Apple hardware test ("D" at startup) and everything was fine. Also i had no problems in other apps like Final Cut, Cinema 4D S22 or Substance before the clean install. All  Apps with "heavy" Metal and GPU support. Working as expeced, just Photoshop doesn't.

My video collection with the Photoshop problems can be found here:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/d7cf2838-e4e8-433b-62cf-4793c5df6dc9

Was trying to shut off GPU... No GPU - No Freezing BUT:

Unfortunately, I can't do serious work like this without GPU acceleration. So my conclusion is the software still has real problems on the system Catalina. I ask you to solve the problem with the graphic interface with an update. How can I place point if I can't see the image? 

You are Marketleader... Please please have a look into the development.
I have also seen some older forum entries. They are already 5 months old and still the 2020 version does not work properly. What is going on there? This really makes me think and it seems to be a bigger problem. So I will have to continue working with my old computer.

all the best, Thomas

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
46 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly same problem here. I tried with new install of catalina and photoshop and wacom driver only.

Photoshop 21.X.X (I tried differents versions and the last 21.1.3))
MacOS 10.15.5

Mac pro 2019 - 96GB ram - 16cores - AMD 580X / Intuos Pro L

freeze between  10minutes and 1 hour.

-----

I have another Macpro 2019 workstation with no freeze.

The 2 differences in this workstation : I have AMD Vega II + Cintiq pro UHD

I will continue to make some tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off my rulers has been tremendously helpful and with the latest update to Catalina it seems to not be doing it with rulers on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off my rulers has been tremendously helpful and with the latest update to Catalina it seems to not be doing it with rulers on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your Feedback AleXXI, so you get a freeze during normal use? And you turned off the rulers too?
I don't need rulers and it happend all the time between 40-min. and 1,3 hours. Crazy that your other Workstation works. I got a Vega Pro II DUO. Hope they use the same Driver as yours. So that it we could exclude this as a potential Problem. Still wating for an Answer from an Adobe Engenier... I Did check my Hardware twice with Apple Diagnostics and TechtoolPro12, both were ok and everything passed.

Here is my Video to demostrate that it happen without Rulers.
https://assets.adobe.com/public/d7cf2838-e4e8-433b-62cf-4793c5df6dc9/PS_21-1-3_Pathtool_bug_comp.mov

Sable Amanda has had an other Bug/Problem. Mine was the freezing if i work normal and use the pathtool, to do some old School cut Outs and i don't use the destructive Menue Hue/Sattuation etc. and no Rulers.

I Think both are the Problem Photoshop and Catalina. Today i was testing and older Version of PS (20.0.3) and it did not Freeze, but i can't overwrite any file with the Version. Another potential workflow breaker. I'm going crazy, the old cheese grater works best for me at the Moment, unbelivable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 20.0.9 has the anyoing bug that you can't overwrite image files! You have to manualy remove the COPY from the file everytime you save it. And make sure you give the Right one to your Client. First, i was not Aware of it, so my Client get the wrong Picture 🙂 no go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seen your video, It's exactly the same problem for me.

I don't think rulers change the problem, I don't use it a lot.

I use a lot the Pathtool....

One question : Are you using a wacom tablet?

I will try to change performance preferences in photoshop...

I have  3 Macpro 2013 and 2 macpro 2019 (same update for all of them) and this photoshop problem happen only on one Macpro 2019 tottaly new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have got a problem with the new Photoshop version (21.1.3), which I didn’t have in version 21.1.2. When opening a saturation or levels dialogue for a layer or a selection with Cmd + U / Cmd + L, the application freezes completely. Interestingly it doesn’t freeze officially, so when checking the Mac task manager Photoshop is listed as working and doing fine. But within the programme you can’t click on, stop or save anything, not even hide Photoshop. This error can be reproduced reliably, especially with complex pictures containing several layers. If the picture contains only a few layers (one to three) the controller in the open dialogue does respond, but only slowly and reluctantly. A possibly work-around seems to be to uncheck the box for „use graphic processor“ under preferences > performance. But that also disables important functions I use regularly.
I have now gone back to Photoshop version 21.1.2 and everything runs smoothly again.
I am using an iMac, 27 Zoll, 2019, RAM 40 GB, the graphics board is a Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB and the  Processor 3,1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5.  A colleague of mine with the same computer set-up but a slightly better graphics board has noted the same problem although he struggles a bit less with it due to the better performance of his graphics board.

I have already contacted the Adobe customer support but they couldn’t help me as this seems to be an inherent bug that needs to be solved on a programming level.

It would be great, if something could be done about this please!

Best wishes

Charlotte

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alexxi – Wacom, no. not for this demonstration. If everything would work i would use my wacom intuos pro s (PTH-451). But I had nothing installed that could cause problems with Photoshop, to be sure it's not a Plugin or any other failure. Puh, nevertheless i'm still happy that im not alone with this.

@charlotte – Yeah,yes this is the other weird behavior which is new in the last version. What we are discussing here is another bug that is also present in the previous versions. The workaround for your Problem is to hide the rulers or use hue/sat as an adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@thomas Jung: Do you know of another open thread where the problem I mentioned is being discussed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alexxi - hey if it happens the next time, could you please make a spindump for the adobe people to investigate:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/how-to-get-a-process-sample-or-spindump.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ta!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to let you know that I canceled my subscription today. Apparently, no more feedback. I will gladly get back in if my problem should be solved. In the meantime I work with the competition and save my money.
unfortunately I have to clean up my Adobe Cloud disk space as subscription only provides 2GB in the free plan. So the video is missing. Happy bug hunting to all of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 21.2 and the problem is still here 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, still waiting too... Maybe Adobe struggles with new optimization on apple silicon updates and metal, so that is bug is not that important. Next Os is at the horizon and that could put some pressure to adobe. For me, I don't use Photoshop since then anymore. Some day Photoshop could work, hope the best. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This behavior has been affecting me for a few weeks now. I'll be making a path and then I get a spinning beach ball. Memory pressure is low or middle, processor seems bored. Rulers deactivated. After the freeze I've experimented with ejecting all local and network drives and disabling wifi, bluetooth, etc.

It doesn't seem to be totally frozen. If I'm persistent I can get Photoshop to save whatever I was working on. This really throws a wrench in my workflow.

Jeffrey Tranberry, would it be helpful for you to receive another spindump? Let me know if there's anything I can do to help Adobe expedite this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I think we have a fix for the next release for Thomas's issue but I can try and run your spindump by eng to confirm your issue is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you very much. It's working fine for me so far. Been testing for two hours and still no beach ball, great 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that. Thanks for the update. 🙂

-Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have the Mac Pro 2019 and had some crashes too, not sure if it was this very same issue but it often crashed after 1000 seconds of use. Been using it updated for 2 days now and all running smoothly. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate