• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Grid Behavior Changed in 23.1

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all PS versions 23.0.2 and earlier setting Grid to 33.34 Percent with Subdivisions = 1 created a nine-section, tic-tac-toe-style grid which divided both horizontal and vertical axes into three equal sections, providing nine working sections, each having a ratio equal to that of the canvas.

In PS 23.1 setting Grid to 33.34 Percent with Subdivisions = 1 creates canvas full of squares, each of which has all sides set to (essentially) one third of the horizontal value of the canvas only, regardless of vertical value.  There appears to be no setting available to force behavior to divide vertical values by any percentage.

If this change was purposeful, it has deprecated one of my most important tools for composition.  If it wasn't, please arrange to align this setting with results obtained from previous versions.

PS 23.1 uninstalled; reverting to 23.0.2 pending correction or confirmation of intent to change.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

This issue is fixed in Photoshop 23.2.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
67 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. Seems to be working here with 23.1: 

JeffreyTranberry_0-1639518746351.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this demo... but your example is square.My experience with 23.1 is that the grid ALWAYS comes out in squares based on the horizontal value but does not show as rectangles modified by the vertical value as was the case previously.  If behavior is as previously observed, the grid will be composed of aspect-correct ratio rectangles.  Can you try the same move on a 3:2 aspect ratio canvas, please?  If results remain 3x3 identical rectangles I will assume my installation was wonky and try the upgrade again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have just reinstalled 23.1 and observed the same new behavior.  Please note both 50% and 33.34% settings create ONLY SQUARES in this 3:2 image.  This function is of no value to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-12-14 154738.pngScreenshot 2021-12-14 154823.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference/clarification, here are two examples of expected behavior, as demonstrated after reversion to 23.0.2.Screenshot 2021-12-14 155949.pngScreenshot 2021-12-14 155906.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously I had my grid set to 50% percent width with 2 sub-divisions which neatly divided my image into 4 (or 8 with the subdivisions). Following the 23.31 update, this now only applies to the vertical grid lines and the divisions are all square. This means that the horizonal gridlines do not match the settings.

See screenshot below: 

Screenshot 2021-12-16 at 10.20.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, do not forget to give more info: are you on a M1 or Intel processor Mac. If the former, using Native, or Rosetta.

Version of the Operating System?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah sorry, it's a mid-2014 Intel Core i7 MBP with Big Sur 11.6.2. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification and screenshots. Engineering is investigating. We'll update this thread once a fix is available.

To workaround this issue, roll back to 23.0.2: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into an issue with gridlines.  I always use 50% with 16 subdivisions, but just today I went to create a new project and the lines are all wrong.  There's 32 vertical lines (twice as many) and 18 horizontal (2 extra).  

I'm using a 13" 2020 Macbook Pro M1, 16GB RAM, running Photoshop 23.1.0.  Never had this issue before and no idea what to do to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop grid is not centered. Whenever I use CMD + ' the lines all of a sudden are not centered.

100% every 4 Subdivisions.

This is really weird. It would always be centered for the last 10 years I've been using PS. Idk what happened. I've never had this issue. Cannot figure out what the issue is.

I have tried guides in grids in preferences.
I have tried double clicking top left corner on ruler.
I have reset preferences and reinstalled PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging with main thread @954MM please vote on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging with main thread, @shaheen.eydgahi please vote on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having a problem with my rule of third grid in PS CC 2022.I usually set it up in Guides, grid and Slices in Grid lines at 33.33 percent and subdivision 1, or Guide lines 100 percent Subdivision 3.

Problem being that now does not show 4 lines only three, it looks like it is over sized. Can't figure out why?? thank you for any help. E-mail: [removed by moderator]

Third Grid.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging to main thread, please vote on top to state you are affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. I use my grid at 100 percent, 3 subdivisions as well, and it looks exactly like yours. Been using PS for 20 yrs, first time I've had this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a square canvas it seems to work, although it's still 1px offset, you can see the outter edge of the grid on the top/left borders, but it's absent on the right/bottom. Otherwise it seems to be mapping correctly in a square image/canvas. Would be nice to revert back to before when it would map correctly regardless of canvas/image shape. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. 

Grid off center

PS 23.1

Mac Os 12.0.1

Brand new m1 mackbook pro late 2021

PLEASE FIX ASAP. I have used this composition tool for 15+ years and need it back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in the meantime, Install a previous version from the Creative Cloud application: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see below I've been trying to fix my grid, it was fine when I opened it a few hours ago, but now its broke! I need to have my grid set up for the rule of thirds, its for my work! Help!

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 4.36.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 4.46.24 PM.png

Here it is the otherway

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me as well. Was working fine one day the next it's bugged and isn't displaying correctly. Luckily I can function without but it's nice to have, unfortunately seems like a bug now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To create a rule of thirds grid in Photoshop, press Command-K (Mac) or Ctrl-K (Win) to open your Preferences. Click on Guides, Grid & Slices from the list on the left. Set Gridline every 100 percent and Subdivisions 3.

A previous old thread may be of interest:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/can-you-toggle-a-quot-rule-of-thirds-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rely on grid settings set to percentage, and after updating to 23.1 immediately noticed the grid was displaying incorrectly (disproportionately) when set to percent. Unchecking *Use Graphics Processor* (AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT ) and restarting Photoshop resulted in correct grid display. I then downgraded to Photoshop 23.0.2 and the grid displays correctly with Graphics Processor checked.photoshop 23.0.2 grid proccessor on.jpgphotoshop 23.1 grid proccessor off.jpgphotoshop 23.1 grid proccessor on.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoyingly the order I placed images was discarded and the caption function seems somewhat useless. Hopefully the images are somewhat self-explanatory.

Votes

Translate

Translate