• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Histogram behaviors are different from prior versions

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing problems with the histogram in 19.1.0. I am a mid-career fine art photographer by profession, and have been a PS user since Version 2. I am also a member of the Authors Guild, and write on photography for various publications. I have been purposely hanging back at PS 2015.5.1, as it has served me well. Yesterday, I decided enough, is enough, and installed 19.1.0.

This first histogram is at Cache Level 1 for the file values of a 36Kx24K pixel 16-bit grayscale file.

Please notice how there are "tails" (lines) out each side of the main body of data, indicating that there are small levels of data almost to the limits of range. For me, it is important to know about these tails exist so that I do not end up creating a clipped condition when applying a curve function. We use S-curve limiters to compact the tails without clipping.

Here is the exact same file at Cache Level 1 for the same 36Kx24K pixel 16-bit grayscale file, but this time in 19.1.0.

Please notice how there is no tail indicating data extending to the left, and rather a botched one going to the right. This is not helpful! You will also notice that the Mean and Standard Deviation values differ.

Further, it use to be nice to be able to take the cursor and scan across the histogram with a display of level and count showing up for whatever was under he cursor. This seems to have gone away in 2015.5, and is even worse in 19.1.0.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Hi,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.4 which should include the fix for this issue. To update Photoshop to the latest version, you can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

For information on other issues fixed with this update, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
104 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and I should have added---the Levels Adjustment function histogram needs to be fixed too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.4 which should include the fix for this issue. To update Photoshop to the latest version, you can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

For information on other issues fixed with this update, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS update 22.4 appears to have fixed the Histogram issue discussed here, but appears to have introduced another issue. With grayscale images the Curves panel is now reversed from 0-100 to 100-0 as shown below. RGB images are correct and show L to R as 0-100.

I may have some other issue on my system so would someone else please verify on their system. I'm on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Nikunj_Muglani

Nikunji, I am so grateful to you and the team at Adobe for addressing this issue. I have downloaded 22.4 for Mac and delighted to report that the histograms are working properly once again. It has already contributed positively to my image-making, and I feel once again that I have the full benefits of PhotoShop.

Similarly, the intercept line in the Curves function is always working great.

However, I must sadly report a bug. When the Curves function is up and running, and I got to refresh the histogram while experimenting with the Curve, it will not update properly. I have to press the refresh button on the histogram as many as a dozen times before the histogram will finish and display. This did not occur previously, so I would assume that the 22.4 update of the histogram function has fixes the data tails issue, but introduced a new bug. My apologies.

Never the less, I am delighted that the tails in the histogram data now show properly. It is a great relief! My sincere thanks.

Pete Myers

Santa Fe

Votes

Translate

Translate