• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: In fullscreen mode, canvas moves to upper left corner and 3/4 of the canvas is unusable

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej Hannah,

thank you guy for your support & the solution today. I think it solved the issue with the floating Screen somehow, but... something new is happening 😕
I think it depends if I work “with“ or “without“ the graphic-card-support and/or the Application-Frame On/Off (just on MAC).
I am using PS on a MacBookPro here with a Nvidacard on 2screens. I always work in PS on the bigger 2nd screen which is a Wacom-Cintiq:

1. I open a PSD-file here (a test-file orange/yellow)
2. it opens in the upper-left corner – ok so far!
3. i changed the screen-mode (F), and...
4. the the hole canvas appears in a small rectangle in the upper-left corner and the other 3/4 of the canvas is just black and not useable?!! (see screenshot)

RackMultipart20180123719153lbq-766f0f3d-1c49-4285-91e0-0eee2d55959d-2119481548.pngRackMultipart20180123719153lbq-766f0f3d-1c49-4285-91e0-0eee2d55959d-2119481548.png

...thats absolutely useless here. When i switch OFF the graphic-card-support is seams to work fine in the frameless PS. Or i have to switch the PS-Application-Frame ON to use the graphic-card-support again. But use “graphic“ and “frameless“ at the same time it cause this new issue?!

This was not an issue in CC2017!

– help?!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Photoshop CC 2018: Floating document windows in fullscreen w/menu bar causes wind....

Cyprian Lothringer /// mai@cyplot.de
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018
Hi Everyone,

This should be resolved in the Photoshop update that is now available. Please open your Creative Cloud, update Photoshop and let us know how it goes! 

Thank you!
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
62 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed report, Cyprian.  

Elderoy, do you also use a Wacom-Cintiq too? I'm not seeing the same behavior but I'd love to know what you two have in common on your systems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej Hannah,

this are my setting here:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 2012) 15inch (2880 x 1800)
with macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)
2,7 GHz i7 with 16GB Ram
graphic-hardware:
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB with the latest drivers:
CUDA Driver Version: 387.99
NIVIDIA Web Driver: 378.10.10.10.25.104

(https://support.apple.com/kb/SP653?locale=de_DE&viewlocale=de_DE)

the 2nd Display is a WACOM Cintiq 27GHDT (2560 x 1440)
It is connected via an elgato Thunderbold 2 Dock to my MacBookPro.

Let me know if you need more info – thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the latest update (v 19.1.0) if you toggle (w/ the F key) between screen modes, the content of your window doesn't refresh. In Photoshop I use floating windows (not tabbed) and when I want to put a window in full screen for example, the windows gets bigger but the content itself gets smaller and cropped (like a window-in-a-window)... Even if you zoom in, your content still cropped, it doesn't update the window size... Very bothering for my daily workflow...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ArQdvTSfjYhx1SD1oL-vf5ZJ64rp5siz/view?usp=drivesdk

macOS 10.11.6
Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2014
2,8 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 Gb 1600 Mhz DD3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on my Mac after the latest update (Photoshop CC 19.1.0). As you said, if I turn the GPU off in my PS settings (preferences/performance), the issue goes away. As soon as I tick the "Use Graphic Processor" back on, the issue comes back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Below, I posted a video to better understand the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's so helpful Morris. Thank you 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delighted to see Adobe has fixed the real-time text-adjustment issue with version 19.1.0, but suddenly any image viewed in "Full Screen Mode With Menu Bar" mode on my secondary display is much reduced in size, and slammed into the upper right corner, with black bars below and to the right (which I assume is the result of an incorrect resolution value being passed somehow).

Unchecking "Use Graphics Processor" rectifies the problem, but I'd rather not lose this functionality (it's all or nothing; toggling off individual items within the graphics processor prefs and restarting Photoshop doesn't fix the problem).

Have system requirements changed in 19.1.0? Assume it's related to the new Photoshop build and not a random video card quirk, given the timing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hannah, that glitch seems better with the 2019 update.
But unfortunately, with frustration and dissapointment a new problem.
I'm working with a MacBook pro and an apple thunderbolt 27in display. When in 'full screen mode with menu bar' the image is displayed very small with a large space of black.
When zoomed the image enlarges up behind the black space.
What seems to be happening is that in 'full screen mode with menu bar' it sizes the image for the MacBook screen not the thunderbolt screen.
Not a problem in 'standard mode' or 'full screen mode' without menu bar. I still have the previous version of photoshop and there is no problem there with screen mode displaying of images.
But that version glitches over the panels and does the very annoying snapping of image to centre when working.
Are we going to get past this era of frustration with photoshops glitches and unreliability? Or is it time to look at the alternatives?
After all this is a paid for service and it doesn't work as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

It appears that this bug is only encountered where there is a 1x display combined with a 2x, with the 1x as primary. Is this your situation? If it is, would it interfere with your workflow for you to make your 2x monitor primary as a temporary workaround?

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer to temporarily deactivate the GPU acceleration rather than move my primary screen to the 2x monitor (my laptop)... — this workaround is acceptable so far...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, awesome! Aiyaiyai, what's going on Adobe?
RackMultipart2018012439228a7bx-203186bb-f046-45a4-8431-cd7bfaf148c8-300356422.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats funny somehow:
the workaround for this issue is indeed to press onece or twotimes the TAB-button!

But why this issue happening anyway? Adobe, please fix this issue some how – thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you discover that Cyprian?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that this workaround is working

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Hannah, thanks for your investment 🙂

Nope, I'm using an external display and a first generation Wacom Bamboo.

It does seem to appear only on the external screen though

Macbook pro 15" retina late 2013
- GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 750m 2Gb
- External display: Eizo S2433W, res 1920*1200 (HDMI, working as extended workspace)
- Mac Os 10.13.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously it's already being investigated for a fix, but thanks so much for sharing that workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... my pleasure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While we investigate the fix for this issue, the workaround is to press tab once or twice. 

*** Thank you Cyprian ***

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d like to clarify this workaround as having two options. First, let me identify the three screen modes: 

OPTION 1

[With Tabs unchecked in Preferences]  Press the “F” key to cycle through these modes.

A - Floating windows WITH palettes, menus, or option bar (This is the mode with the bug - cropped image in the upper left hand corner)

B - Isolates one image file WITH palettes, menus, BUT NO OPTION BAR. (The cropping bug may also appear in this mode)

C - Full Screen Mode - isolates one image file WITHOUT any palettes, menus, or option bar (Unless you press Tab, then you will get palettes and menus, BUT NO OPTION BAR)

OPTION 2

If tabs are employed, then it’s a more preferred way to work, because you get the palettes, menus AND options bar. Let me explain:

Go to Preferences>Workspace. Turn on “Open Documents as Tabs” and “Enable Floating Document Window Docking”. 

Now by pressing the F key, the screen modes are as follows: 

A - Single image file WITH tabs for other open files at the top (just below the options bar), along with palettes, menus, and option bar. I don’t like this view because when the image is zoomed out enough to see the whole thing, I can’t move it around - it’s locked in the center, sometimes behind a palette.

B - Single image file WITHOUT tabs - along with palettes, menus, AND OPTION BAR (This is the mode I prefer to work in, because I can isolate one image, I get all my palettes, menus AND the option bar - very important, because here I can change all the attributes of the tool I’m currently using. 

C - Full Screen Mode - isolate one image file WITHOUT any palettes, menus, or option bar (Unless you press Tab, then you will get palettes and menus, but NO OPTION BAR)

I’ve been a digital painter in Photoshop for about 18 years, so I’m approaching this from a painting perspective with a primary painting image on my Cintiq and reference images on my MacBook Pro monitor. Some people don’t like tabs and they want to see multiple windows open all at once. I like that too. Any window can always be undocked and then it’s a floating window again. But then when you cycle through the screen modes, the cropping bug will show up again. 

For now, Tabs seems to be the best workaround for me. I hope this helps! 

-Scott 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Photoshop 2018 (release 19.1.0) and there is a major bug with full screen mode on a retina macbook pro hooked up to an external monitor in dual-display mode. When entering full screen mode on the external monitor the "usable" area seems to only be 25% of the screen size as illustrated in the attached screenshots. Trying to use the hand tool (space) to pan works, but moving it outside the bounds of the usable area crops it off.

Specs of my setup:

• Macbook pro (15-inch 2016)
  • MacOS Sierra (v. 10.12.6)
  • Radeon Pro 450 2048mb graphics card
  • Built in display - 15.4 inch (2880x1800)
  • External display - Dell U2717D - 27 inch (2560x1440)

RackMultipart2018012670968d54h-3c5772f8-feb1-4a3c-9bab-f646909a71fc-1725504202.png

RackMultipart20180126567401s6w-d7caf6e5-a034-475b-a7a7-09cff907f6ab-908995517.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tristan,

I merged your post with a duplicate thread that contains workarounds. This is a known issue and the work around while we work on getting out the fix is to press tab once or twice.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here!
I can't work at all like this.

Gonna have to roll back to 2017.

Macbook Pro mid 2015
High Sierra 10.13.2
2,2 GHz i7
16GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
working with external screen and Wacom Intuos Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael, 

Sorry for the frustration. Just wanted to see how you felt about the workaround. Is pressing tab once or twice unacceptable for your workflow? Did it work for you?

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
Just updated yesterday to 19.1 and I have the same issue. I work with a 2015 macbook Pro with 10.11.6 osx and an Eizo as primary screen. Hitting tab a couple times fixes the weird image position, but I often switch between full screen modes and hide/show the panels in my workflow. Every time I switch I have to hide / show the panels once more by hitting tab few times to view the image I'm working on normally. Hope this will be fixed soon, it's frustrating.
Thank you!

Carlo Favero

Votes

Translate

Translate