• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Keyboard shortcut should be customizable

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated from Photoshop CC to Photoshop 2020. One of the tools I use often is "Toggle composite and grayscale mask in Quick Mask mode", which has a default keyboard shortcut of "~" Tilde in Photoshop CC. However, in Photoshop 2020, this has been re-assigned to a new function called "Toggle between painting and erasing with the same brush tip". Pressing or holding the ~ key activates the new function instead.

How do I "Toggle composite and grayscale mask in Quick Mask mode" now? I can't find/re-assign either of the aforementioned functions in keyboard shortcuts. I tried toggling both "use legacy shortcut" options in the keyboard shortcut menu, followed with a Photoshop restart, with no success.  

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

I have been experiencing an issue with Photoshop 2020 that while I have the brush tool selected working on masks (quick mask, layer mask, etc) it won't allow me to toggle between composite and grayscale masks using the Tilde (~) shortcut key.
I have to change to any other tool and that allows me to switch the mask functionality. It is extremely not practical since I mostly use brushes when working with masks, and shortcuts are supposed to make workflow easy and intuitive. 

I can also make it wor...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019
Thanks for reporting. I'm following up with the engineering team.

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting. I'm following up with the engineering team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Here is an interesting update:
If I am not using any of the brush modes, pressing the ~ key defaults to the original "Toggle composite mask". It looks like at least for now, I just need to switch to a non-brush tool and press ~ to toggle the mask whenever I want to use it. I can work with that—at least I can access the tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love that there's a way to toggle any brush to an eraser besides using the Clear blend mode as I use to before but... But. Please enrich this feature a bit more. Right now there doesn't seem to be any way to remap the Brush Toggle function to any other key (which makes it hard to use as a Left because my Tablet is in the way. Also can we have the option to control whether this is a press and hold toggle or a press once toggle? I think it'd be a ton more useful to not have to hold the key once the state is toggled...

1. Let us remap the Brush toggle from ~ (Tilde) to any key we want.

2. Let us change whether the toggle is press and hold or press once and activated until pressing again. I'd much rather be able to press the Brush Toggle button once and have it stay toggled while I work with it and then toggle it back with a key press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported this in pre-release: Bug ID - PS-38280
It seems like there is some work in progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'd like to re-assign the tilde so I can use it to toggle between grayscale mode and quick mask mode, while using the brush, as before. In addition to Arthur's workaround, I found I can hold the Shift key, while in the brush, and press tilde and toggle between grayscale and quick mask. It might save one or two keystrokes, for the moment, until a solution is made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing that finding! Definitely helps me out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this should be customisable because people with non-english keyboards (like me) can't use this shortcut. Or at least I can't find any way to make it work, since the "tilde" symbol is not assigned to the same key in an english keyboard than in a spanish one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello on macOS with french language and QWERTZ swiss keyboard we don't ave acces to these caracters directly : ~ [] ; : _ >

It is therefore necessary to adapt every abbreviated not modifiable to this problem and to give us efficient resolutions!

In PS 20.0.1 fench version QWERTZ swiss keyboard  the "~   is "<" key

Swiss keyboard

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
i have a problem with the tilde to switch between painting and erasing with the same tip shape.
I use an Ergodox keyboard, and I have also tried on other keyboard, but the shortcut does not work.
I also can not reasign the function to another shortcut,
I hope that adobe will add the possibility of assigning another keyboard shortcuts to this function, because it is really very interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On german keyboard and on a mac I miss the shortcut "<". Normally it should show an hide the red mask overlay as if you option-shift click on the mask in levels palette. As this is not custumizable it should come back soon., please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On german keyboard the function to show the red mask seems to be alt+< now. Only arrow toggles brush and  temporarily erase

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I noticed, you have to hold the tilde key to change it from paint to erase. It's not a toggle button. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand why you moved my post, it's not really the same problem, it's really stupid.
It could not be worse for you to integrate this function.
to answer Arthur Shi, I 've never talked about Toggle, what are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another problem I noticed with the accent grave shortcut is that the brush tool blending mode drop down does not reflect the toggle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I misunderstood your issue. I personally didn't realize I had to hold down the key for it to work, so I thought maybe it's more common. 

I think they merged this into the same thread because these issues all center around functions activated by the tilde key. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seit dem Update von Photoshop 2020 (MacOS Catalina) funktioniert die Tastenkombination für Maske anzeigen (<) nicht mehr, wenn der Pinsel aktiv ist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Die Funktion ist jetzt unter alt+< zu finden. Nur < springt zwischen malen und radieren (solange < gehalten wird, wird radiert). Die Funktionen sind auch noch bei Adobe auf der Website falsch dokumentiert (da behauptet man es sei die "Tilde unterhalb escape"). Dumm, dass man das nirgends selber konfigurieren kann.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's because it doesn't technically act like any of the brush blending modes. You'd think it was acting as clear, but I don't think that's technically the case.

Im not at my computer right now but I don't think clear blending mode works when painting on masks but holding tilde does. So tilde acts identically to the eraser tool but with the same brush selected as your brush tool.

I honestly can't believe they would implement a new feature with absolutely zero customization. You can't rebind it to a new key and you can't change its behavior. I'd love for example if you could choose to press it once to toggle it on and press it again to toggle it off. Instead you have to press and hold which is really awkward considering you can't change the button's mapping which affects some users more than others especially when it comes to handedness and if you're drawing with a tablet, etc.

Come on Adobe. You can do better. You should do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tausend Dank für deinen Tip! Bin mega happy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing an issue with Photoshop 2020 that while I have the brush tool selected working on masks (quick mask, layer mask, etc) it won't allow me to toggle between composite and grayscale masks using the Tilde (~) shortcut key.
I have to change to any other tool and that allows me to switch the mask functionality. It is extremely not practical since I mostly use brushes when working with masks, and shortcuts are supposed to make workflow easy and intuitive. 

I can also make it work while the brush tool is active if I press the Tilde (~) key while also pressing the "Shift" key. I think this is because photoshop understands I'm specifically typing Tilde (~) and not just pressing the key  ( ` ~ ). this is very counter-intuitive since it works just fine when simply pressing the key while on any other active tool .

I have seen this issue discussed on another forum entry but I have not found any solution or fix in newer Photoshop updates. I currently use version 21.0.3.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/toggle-composite-mask-key-overridden-in-photo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, without a numeric keypad, one can't even target the channels on an AZERTY keyboard, or change the opacity of a layer/brush on the fly... That's why I often use a US version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on that? This is what holding me from moving from 2017 version (and also lack of supporting 32bit plugins — I have some I can’t work without).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@egor_chistyakov 

Not a perfect fix, but elsewhere in the comments here someone pointed out that you can hit shift + ` to achieve the same thing that just ` by itself used to do. An extra key, which is annoying for those of us who never use ` for eraser, but better than not being able to view the greyscale mask without clicking. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes some time getting used to but that's how I use the shortcut now. I understand that in order to switch to grayscale mask you do have to press the character input for "~", and not the [` ~] key. That seems to be the logic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alexander_lane_inic6nwfjd16v  Yeah, Shift+grave could suite me... But I'm still struggling with Ctrl+Shift+F instead of Ctrl+F for 'Fade'. Argh. Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate