• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Marching ants are not visible when you Select All with floating document

Mentor ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 23.0.2 under macOS Big Sur, when the artboard is not visible (i.e., when the window borders are flush against the edges of the artwork) and the entire image is visible on screen (i.e., no scroll bars), and you Select All, the marching ants are not visible like they should be. Sometimes, depending on the window dimensions, a sliver of the marching ants is visible on one or two edges, but most of the time, they are completely hidden. Here is a video of the problem: 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly realized that, after upgrading to PS cc v23, the 'SELECT ALL' (Select > All ) option in PS

does not show the marching ants when I want to select the entire image. Although the images is selected when I use this option, over the years I've become accustomed to seeing the marching ants when performing this function and would like to get it back. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 10 and Edited  Images in floating windows.   With Photoshop 23.1 I see that issues all the time.  While the Selection Actually exists for the canvas in the floating window the marching ants are not rendered in the normal floating window.  However if you enlarge the floating windows by dragging a corner  the  marching ants will  be render in the expanded floating window.

Capture.jpg

Deactivating Native Canvas does not solve this rendering problem  However it is required to be deactivated to resolve other rendering  problems like render lighting effects UI.  I Know Render lighting effects is being effected by Adobe removals of 3D support.  It is not clear to me if the filters is being removed  or will reworked to work with Directx and Metal?   Is Adobe adding an additional compatibility issue between version of Photoshop?  Surely Adobe will not removing Select all. Adobe need toe get on with its plans. Photoshop being a work in progress is a PITA.

Photoshop 2020 should be used till Adobe gets Photoshop updated to work with directx and metal...on Windows Adobe has additional issues on Mac with Apple ARM processors and  Also with Windows on divices that use ARM Processors.

New Mobile devices will be using ARM processor because they require less power.  However Adobe mobile version of Photoshop lack many of the feature of desktop Photoshop and has quite a different use interface and experance.  Mobile displays will always be small higher resolution does not make small screens more useable one need to be able to see what they are working on.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! So what you're  saying, not being able to see the marching ants when using Select>All this is the new norm in PS cc and not a bug? When did this change take place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@steves97828594 

Can you tell us if you are using tabbed or floating windows? Tabbed windows were introduced with CS3 — JJ specified he still uses floating windows.

A second possibility is in that your selection is hidden. Ctrl+H will hide everything that is checked in View menu > Show. Can you check to see if you have a hidden selection?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT:

Using tabbed windows, Cmd+A shows marching ants on my image.

janee_1-1640641182772.png

Using a floating window (as per CS2 and earlier), the marching ants show only at the top and bottom until I resize the floating window.

janee_2-1640641425361.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it depends on the document canvas fitting within the Tabs image view. If the document canvas has more pixels then your  display can display and you are viewing you images actual pixels view 100%  and you use Ctrl+A to select all pixels the marching ants will not all be on your display. IMO  when you are editing in Floating windows and  you use Fits image on  display so the images canvas is scaled toe be in view on you display and user Ctrl+A the Marching Ants should be rendered on you display  around your documents canvas. In older version of Photoshop that is how Photoshop works. The issue seems to have been introduced in Photoshop version 2022.  It is not a Problem in Photoshop 2021.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure that you can meet system requirements https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

I can reproduce this on machine which can not meet recomended or minimum system specification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO its a bug in Photoshop 2022.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've asked the engineers to take a look.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I've tried using tabbed and floating windows. Still no marching ants. If control+H  hides selections, how do  whats the short cut for revealing selections?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is absolutely not a matter of your selection being hidden by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what can it be? Very frustating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a rendering bug. There's nothing you can do about it until they fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@steves97828594 

Jane, I've tried using tabbed and floating windows. Still no marching ants. If control+H  hides selections, how do  whats the short cut for revealing selections?

Hi Steve,

Control + H is a toggle for hiding/showing Extras. (You'll see this shortcut in the View menu to the right of "Extras".) What it does is to Hide or Show everything in the next menu item called "Show" if the item is checked. If an item is not checked in the Show menu, then it is not affected by toggling the "Extras" command.

Bottom line: what is selected for you in View menu > Show?

48240200-707C-440A-8FBF-1AF80BBB2B04.jpeg

In addition, Adobe employee Jeffrey has merged this thread and said engineers are looking at it, so it may be a bug. Watch this thread for further developments.

Be sure to click the Upvote button in the upper right. As of now there is only one upvote.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I command-A, the marching ants aren't showing. They do for all other selections.

This is the case at any zoom level. M1 Max, latest ps and os x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is supposed to be fixed in the just released 23.2 update.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

In photoshop if you go to Help>System Info, what Adobe Photoshop Version does the top line say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate