• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Missing (type-1) fonts after Photoshop 23.0 update

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legit fonts from legit foundries that appeared in PS2021 are not appearing in 2022.

Downgrading.

MacOS 10.15.7

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title}

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

I suspect the fonts you're using are type 1 fonts which are no longer supported. https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-missing-type-1-fonts-after-photoshop-23-0-update/idi-p/12480988 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Photoshop Product Manager here...the deprecation of Type 1 fonts was first announced back in September 2019, since then we have tried to get the word out on the deprecation via Reddit, Twitter, and Adobe Community articles - but clearly the message did not reach all our valued users. The team is working on better and more consistent ways to communicate changes to the UI, workflows, and deprecation of features so changes have limited disruptions. 

A few suggestions regarding the deprecation of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Photoshop announced end of life for PostScript Type 1 in fonts in 2021 (September 2019):

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/announcement-end-of-support-postscript-type-1-fonts.html

Adobe Photoshop will cease support of PostScript Type 1 fonts in year 2021. At that time, PostScript Type 1 fonts will no longer be listed in Photoshop's Font menu.

This legacy format, created by Adobe in the mid-1980s during the early days of desktop publishing, is already unsupported in major software applicatio

Votes

Translate

Translate
85 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have some serious issue when saving as PDF, my work contain text, so when I export it as PDF, some of the text is missing.

and the PSD file saved as a pdf as a "High Quality Pring", Standard set to "None", Compatibility set to "Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4)"

"Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities", Checked.
"Optimized for Fast Web Preview", Checked

Screenshot :
2017-03-28_2-30-42.png
Information about my work:

- Image size: A4 - 21x29.7 cm

- Image Resolution set to 300

- Arabic Text

- Font : Tahoma

- Font size set to 50px

- 1 layer per paragraph

- Windows 10 Pro, OS Build 14393.969

- Photoshop 2017.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hndhmn,

I'm not sure what the issue is but a workaround that I think may work is to convert the text layer to a Vector shape. Just right-click on the text layer and select Convert to Shape. See if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JRfromPTC,

Thanks for the reply, this way of converting the text layer to a vector shape works really well, But in this way, it will make the text not select-able in the PDF file, I really need it to be selectable.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of such incidents I read about on this forum but haven't seen a genuine solution…

PDF missing text

Missing layers when saving PDF

Try the basic suggestions of updating your Photoshop. Have you analysed the issue as to why these particular sentences or words gone missing? Are they interacting with any transparent object or did you apply any effect to them, or they're simply similar to the other text on their side?

One other thing, did you try another Arabic font that comes from a reputable developer, just try it on a single page and save it to Photoshop PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best method for finding transparent objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there. I had this problem just few hours ago and it was really frustrating to find a solution really.

I found that when the pdf file is opened in softwares other than of Photoshop, there will always be a few texts missing. But when i view the same pdf file in PS, it is just like the original PSD file.

I also noticed that the only few words that were missing from mine is those which ends with symbols (ie. commas, brackets)

Since typing texts that ends with symbols is a hassle, we end up typing the symbols which are supposed to be at the end of the text first (idk if you do this but i do)

Once I remove the symbols from the text itself, or at least those which are tweaked to be at the end of the sentence, my problem is solved.

Converting the text layer into smart object/vector etc works too but it gets pixelated when the psd file is converted into pdf file. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wickedicy  wrote

I also noticed that the only few words that were missing from mine is those which ends with symbols (ie. commas, brackets)

Interestingly, original poster highlighted the problem in orange border, all of which are last line of the paragraph, hence ends with a punctuation such as full stop.

Is the PDF engine that is causing this, or Photoshop is not able to pass information in the conversion, or is it a the font that is not stable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to sure what causes this issue, but I hope adobe can help debug it for future updates.

Also, I found it to occur regardless of font type(ie. otf, ttf - for windows) /family(ie. trebuchet, serif etc).

p/s: just for additional info, softwares i used to view the pdf file were Nitro Pro 11, Google Chrome, & Mendeley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting text layer to a shape worked for me! thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since only some layers were saving out in the pdf, i selected all the layers and combined them into a single smart object. that makes it so no content is left out when saving out a psd into a pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop was updated automatically today. I found our primary fonts missed when I am working on the artworks in the latest version photoshop 23.0.0. Our primary fonts used is Futura BT and Compacta. The fonts used to be worked without issue before photoshop upgraded to 23.0.0. And also, Illustrator and Indesign can load the fonts correctly.  Does anyone have same issue and any solution to get missing fonts back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe apps use the fonts installed in your system, AND fonts from fonts.adobe.com. Do you know where those fonts came from, in your previous work? Futura PT is available in the Adobe Fonts page, but it looks like Compacta isn't. Sometimes, Adobe stops supporting some fonts, and that could have happened here.
Do you have a local, licensed version of Compacta that you can install into your system? It's available for purchase at https://www.linotype.com/276/compacta-family.html There is also a listing for a free version at a few other sites (google). Those are likely not as complete or as reliable as the commercial font.

Also, if you're using a font management program, it's possible it simply didn't auto-activate the font - it may need an update so their plugin works in the new Photoshop.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi s_gans, do you know best font management software out there???

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please provide more information about the Legit font? I am not able to find a font or Foundry with that name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the OP means the fonts themselves are legitimate - not knockoffs, from freebie sites, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think @amy durocher is asking for the font name and foundry. Type 1 fonts were recently EOLed, so double check if the missing fonts are Type 1. Details here: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type 1 fonts were recently EOLed, so double check if the missing fonts are Type 1. Details here: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sur la nouvelle version de Photoshop V22.5.1 sur PC, nous ne pouvons plus utiliser la police Helvetica LT, y a-til une subtilité ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible that the font cache was corrupted during installation and update to 23.0. Please try clearing the font cache to see if it resolves the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html

• Delete the CT Font Cache folder and empty the Trash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Important font for client doesn't work. Second computer with older version works fine. 

Downgrading. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did all this and even completely uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop.

Just installed 22.5.2 and it worked fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi just updated to Photoshop V23 (2022) and my companies font won't load at all. I had to revert back to an older .PSD version to hit a deadline this morning.

On a Mac Big Sur, 11.6

Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old Type 1 fonts do not work in PS 23. I found that out the hard way, I have Type 1 fonts originally from Photoshop 3.0 that I still use extensively (you got an Adobe Type CD, and had to choose from a list of typeface packages to unlock.) Adobe no longer publishes that font and the replacements from Berthold are several hundred dollars. UGH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thx,

but isnt this… Jan 2023

Adobe will disable support for authoring with Type 1 fonts in January 2023

Votes

Translate