• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Moving Smart Object with Lighting Effects applied turns layer black

Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighting Effects works just fine and as expected. Once the object is rendered, if left alone is fine. Use the move tool to move it and it turns black... had someone else get the same result, see this forum thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2552527

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019
Please update to the 20.0.2 update that was released last night and let me know if you're still having trouble with the Lighting Effects filter. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked this on my Mac with High Sierra, and I can confirm this. You don't say what OS you're on, which might help them pin it down.

If I turn my object into a Smart Object before I run Render Lighting, so it runs as a smart filter (and also as a 3D Effects layer), I can delete that 3D layer and move the object about. It will keep the lighting effect and not black out. But that's the end of what I can do using the Lighting Effects filter.

I can't re-edit it. It doesn't update the Smart Object. Since it doesn't update the Light Effects layer it created, it doesn't update the Lighting Effects Smart Object. Or I assume that's the problem. You get one shot now at getting it all right, from what I can find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting. Engineering is looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

Photoshop CC v20 2019.

I applied lighting effects to a layer. So far, so good. Then zoomed in to have a closer look and all the pixels on that layer turned black, then returning to the original image on zooming out.

Then, on saving the file the layer shattered and turned into black and white, looking just like a corrupted layer mask.

I've uninstalled the app and returned to v19.1.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Then, on saving the file the layer shattered and turned into black and white, looking just like a corrupted layer mask.>

Lighting Effects does seem to be having a lot of problems. I was able to use it successfully yesterday, being aware of the problems, when I ran it on an image layer without any transparency, converted to a Smart Object more out of habit than hope that it would be editable. Fortunately, I liked the results, and was able to rasterize the SO layer, delete the 3D layer that comes along with it now, and get the image layer back into my main document to blend into it.  I don't know if working on a duplicate, then rasterizing will help you save  your document intact. It does kind of mess with an editable workflow. But in this case, it worked for me. Then again, if there's no  reason you want to be in 2019 and are happy staying with 2018, there's also no reason to try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Cristen. Yes I am staying with 2018 until the bug gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop CC 20.0.1

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. 

See what’s fixed

To update Photoshop CC to 20.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop CC. More detailed instructions for updating

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can successfully add a lighting filter into my workspace , in this particular instance, I am using the "Soft Omni" effect and I can make adjustments, all fine there. 

When I come to flatten my layers, I get a black screen and the same happens when  I use both "merge" offerings. 

I have also tried  turning of the graphic processor in Performance - Advanced. But, doing this makes the "Lighting Effects" unusable in the filter - render menu (its greyed out).

I have also updated to version 20.0.1, this solved PS crashing when using the Lighting Effect.

I am running on an IMac using macOS high Sierra Version 10.13.6, with a Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512Mb.

I was having no problems at all on Photoshop CC 2018 and these latest 2019 problems are now affecting my work.

Any advice welcome 

Thanks in advance
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've updated Photoshop to 20.0.1. Tried using lighting effects again and the issue is still ongoing. Lighting effects are lost and replaced by a shattered black and white image that looks like a broken layer mask.

The only work-around I can find is to save, close and re-open the document before doing anything else. I've uploaded a before and after image so you can see what's happening.
RackMultipart20181122805891vxr-6e6d178f-6e40-4a56-a1bc-05506a4982bc-1494323529.jpgRackMultipart201811221152301np-dffd0ba9-4339-499c-9284-be1a25155cbe-426781248.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2019 20.0.1

Have an issue with the Lighting Effects Filter applied to a Layer filled with 50% grey.

Filter runs OK and shows the rendered result when the zoom level is below 50%.

When I zoom in to 100% the Layer appears solid black.The Histogram still shows data however.

If I close and re-open file, the Layer shows black at any zoom level and the Histogram is empty, except for pure black.

Huh ?

Windows 10 v1803,

32gb RAM, 

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
Driver version 398.36

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why my post was merged to a different topic - I’m not using a smart object layer but do have same results as some.. No corrupted layer mask look, just a black screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC 2019 when I apply lighting effects to a layer the image looks great but exports as a black image. If I save, close, and re-open the modified layer is black.

What's up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update to the 20.0.2 update that was released last night and let me know if you're still having trouble with the Lighting Effects filter. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I did, and I still have this problem. Am I the only one? 

Votes

Translate

Translate