P: Old Font Explorer plug-in causes wrong document format in the open dialog causes constant crashes

0 Votes
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason Photoshop is trying to open my files as FontExplorer X Pro format. No matter how many times I change that, it goes back to that format. This causes constant crashes. 

The only way to open a PSD file without crashing is to manually change that format to Photoshop. So I can't just open a file from the Finder, I've to maually go to Photoshop > Open > set the format and then open the file. 

I've tried deleting the preferences but didn't work. 

Captura de pantalla 2022-01-07 a las 18.08.49.png

Sorry the dialogue is in Spanish, here's the translation but you know this window:

Activate: All readable documents

Format:.....

Cancel / Open

Photoshop 22.5.4

MacOS 10.14.6

Thanks in advance!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Bingo! The second one solved the problem. 

I tried deleting the prefs before but didn't work. It was an old Font Explorer plugin, I deleted it and it works fine.

Thanks a lot! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Two things to try:

1. Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.
If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them.

2. Hold down the Shift key when launching Photoshop. When it asks if you want to skip plug-ins, click "Yes" - Try to replicate the pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select a PSD in the Finder and Get Info, what does it show for the Open With section?

JeffreyTranberry_0-1641584031954.png

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, I've already checked that and it's Photoshop by default. Also manually changed all but didn't make a change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things to try:

1. Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.
If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them.

2. Hold down the Shift key when launching Photoshop. When it asks if you want to skip plug-ins, click "Yes" - Try to replicate the problem. Does the problem persist?

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bingo! The second one solved the problem. 

I tried deleting the prefs before but didn't work. It was an old Font Explorer plugin, I deleted it and it works fine.

Thanks a lot! 

Votes

Translate

Translate