• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: PDF import show edge artifacts on tiled PDF images (bug in PDF creation)

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing a PDF with images, Photoshop CS6 adds faint outlines to the PDF image segments in the file. Prior versions of Photoshop render the PDF correctly. See the attached image for an example.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 262 Replies 262
262 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, thank you for the explanation, I must have overlooked it. From my experience in version prior to CS6 it worked always fine. But anyway.

The problem became now with CC2015 even worser as the old work-around to rastersize the PDF in 2400dpi and than downsampling it to 300dpi does not work anymore. The anti-aliasing has been changed once again.

Thanks to mediengestalter.info I found the solution: One has to generate PDF/X4, and those PDFs containing transparencies can be rendered to an image by photoshop without problems.
If you only have the PDF X3-file, one has to export it to TIFF/JPEG directly from Acrobat.

What I still do not understand is, when these fine white lines are inside the PDF/x3, why do I see it e.g. in Photoshop CS6 and later, but not when producing offset-prints from such a PDF file?

When I export a JPEG from Acrobat there are no white lines as well. Does that mean Acrobat and Photoshop are using different antialiasing engines?

Wouldnt it be clever to add a function to Photoshop to let the user decide which kind of antialiasing he wants to being used when rendering a PDF/x3 or earlier to an image?

And last but not least, why can I export a TIF file directly from Indesign CC2015? Or does that feature has been moved to somewhere else?

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant why CANT I export to TIF from Indesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For that, you'd have to ask the folks in the InDesign forum.

Acrobat pretty much isn't using any antialiasing.
And the lines disappear if you print at exactly the resolution of the original image.

No, the antialiasing did not change in Photoshop CC 2015.
And Photoshop does give you the option of not antialiasing your rasterized PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In german language edition it is not called Antialiasing but "Glätten". I turned it off and the fine white lines disappeared! So, problem definitely solved. Thank you Chris for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK PEEPS. Here is the easiest workaround!
From Acrobat Pro.
Open your acrobat document.
CLICK - Export PDF
CLICk - More Formats
CHOOSE - Encapsulated Postscript
CLICK the settings button next to the word ENCAPSULATED POSTSCRIPT
CHoose General - PAGE RANGE - choose all - click Ok
CLICK EXPORT
CLICK DESKTOP
CLICK SAVE

Then drag them into photoshop.. VOILA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is counter intuitive... Try layering the imported image over itself 6 times (this value could be resolution dependent) at 100% opacity normal blend mode (or apply image 100% opacity normal blend mode 6 times), easy enough to do in an action/batch. I can’t explain why this fixes the issue as it should not fix the image, however it did in my tests (after 6 applications a difference blend test revealed no differences).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the problem is getting worse.
These fine white lines do not only appear when using transparency or shadows or something like that.
Just place several areas with the same color in InDesign next to another. No transparency used, just plain areas filled with any color.
Now export the document as PDF-X4 and import in Photoshop as smart object. Now you will see the lines between these areas. This is an absolutely no-go...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this bug is even in CC 2017 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this bug is even in CC 2017 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still appears to be ongoing (CC 2018). We frequently get issues opening PDF's with random artefacts and hairlines appearing. In CS4 they are absolutely fine.

This is frustrating as we have upgraded our studio to CC but have to keep a copy of CS4 as the 'latest and greatest' version of Photoshop isn't as good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be an option to rasterize X3-PDFs in the old way in current Photoshop Versions!
You can't keep CS5.5 on your computer just in case you get anything else than X4.. Can you even buy that software? It's ridiculous!
The problem is around for 7 years now, we have Photoshop CC 2019 and still no fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
i use Photoshop cc 2020 problem still exists,
now in mac new os update, old softwares are not supported anymore, please fix this issue asap

Votes

Translate

Translate