• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: PDF import show edge artifacts on tiled PDF images (bug in PDF creation)

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing a PDF with images, Photoshop CS6 adds faint outlines to the PDF image segments in the file. Prior versions of Photoshop render the PDF correctly. See the attached image for an example.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 262 Replies 262
262 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there is a fault in translation of the dimensions. In PostScript there are only pt dimensions used and when they are translated into pixel dimensions through the rendering process there maybe are rounding differencies which show up in 1 pixel wide spaces. This could explain the fact, that the problem is resolution-dependent. And it could explain the fact, that no one feels responsible for this, because it is a matter of opinion, which part is named faulty. It's not a bug, it's a feature!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not the dimension conversions - even if the layout is specified in pixels, it still fails. The problem is that the tiled images are done in such a way that they don't work with antialiasing or resampling, unless they're rasterized at exactly their original resolution (must match the pixel grid exactly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF 1.3 is based really near on PostScript level 3. Therin it is not possible to define x and y coordinates in pixels. They are always defined in pt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I export am pdf-x3-file from InDesignCC and import this file into Photoshop CS5 the document just looks like it has to look. If I import this file to Photoshop CC the doc has a lot of defect lines in areas of transparencies. Does anybody has the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a switch back to the old render engine is no option?
at least until the error has been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, the error is in the software that created the PDF files, not in Photoshop.
And switching back to the old render settings means worse quality antialiasing, and just moves the artifacts around, but can't eliminate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since months this case is a constant source of trouble for my work as a grafic designer. Meanwhile I can confirm that the main problem is on the side of pdf-generating (for example: InDesign-generated 60 square meters of digital print ended up in the trash). So, Chris, I have two questions.:

1. Can you give me a threat, where I can talk to somebody, who can do something about this problem? Where I can hopefully find ways of solving this problem for daily work? Where I can see, that Adobe is working on this problem?

2. If this problem, which is in the way PDF files are written, is a given thing (as it looks like after there is no change after months): Wouldn’t it be great to have a photoshop-rendering engine, which can handle this problem? This is, what a good software should do: give reasonable results under difficult conditions.

Thank you, Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I have understood correctly, the error in the PDF engine, has been around for many years. there must be millions of faulty PDFs. probably even billions.
the old photoshop render engine can generate useable results from these PDFs. the new one not.

may be the newer render engine is better than the old one. but with many PDFs it is simply useless .

for us, the only workaround is to use an old photoshop version. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi to all thread participants,

I didn't post anything in here for quite a while now - but I didn't stop following the (few) comments. Maybe this is the reason, that Adobe seems to do not very much to find a solution.
Chris - if your word (an the word of your colleagues in the photoshop division) isn't enough to instigate something: maybe a little petition can help to kick your chiefs butt.
Right now I only see lots of unsattisfied customers with a big, BIG problem. You can't just only earn money with your software, you have to do something in return for the (in my case regularly) paying folk (in addition to all the new - for me partly useless - functions).
If we (who use your software to make a living) would treat our customers this way - we probably would starve to death.
If you could give us updates (in case you work on this problem, at all) on a regular basis - this would at least show, that Adobe cares about its customers.

(Meanwhile not anymore) kind regards ,

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the PDF output side of things that chops images into tiles, but in a way that they cannot be rasterized at other resolutions without artifacts. The rasterization just changed in a way that made the artifacts show up differently. Even older Photoshop versions will show the same artifacts, just at slightly different points. (once you know what to look for, it's easy to reproduce with all versions of Photoshop that rasterize PDF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, has any thought been given to the fact that while they cannot supposedly be rasterized at any resolution without the artefacts appearing, these atomic regions, I hope I'm right in thinking, *never* appear in printed files. So why is it possible for a PDF that is tiled in this way to be printed perfectly, but it is impossible to be rasterized perfectly? Can you see how that doesn't add up? Perhaps the rasterizing team should have a talk to the printing team, see if they can point them in the right direction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do appear in some printed files - but it depends on the resolution of the print. Since the PDF file is designed for print output, the image is usually near print resolution, and it prints at or above the image resolution and that minimizes the artifacts. However, some of our print paths also have hacks to detect this sort of tiling and try to fix it up. But I can't convince the rasterization folks to even talk about that yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They appear in prints - and this is the frightening and at least expensive side of this Case. The question again, Chris: can you give us something after these frightening and expensive two years? Not even hope?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is that the Photoshop team recognizes the problem and wants to see it solved. Unfortunately we can't set the priorities for all the other teams who need to fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2014 Aug 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So,

finally the topic died a painfull death.
I don't like monopolies at all - did I mention this already?
I can't find the words to express my feelings anymore.
It's a shame for you, Adobe. A shame!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cut image imported from PDF to PS CS6:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...
when this will be fixed ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2015 Mar 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 introduced issues with the rasterization of PDFs. Trace lines show up all over our images. They are not there when viewing the pdf in Reader. Some suggestions on the net have been to make sure you are rasterizing to the original resolution, but this still doesn't actually help.

I installed CC today to see if it has been fixed in the newer version of Photoshop, but still no progress. I have attached images that show the issue. Compare the pdf in acrobat reader to the one in Photoshop. I have zoomed them up to make the problem more obvious.

Is there a work around or a way to report the bug to Adobe? The bug reporter sent me here for Photoshop.

Also it would be nice if the pdf open dialog was automatable, but it is still very clunky.

Anyway, no reason I can convince the bosses to upgrade yet Adobe. I hoped that Acrobat Pro would offer one with the search and replace feature, but all it did was crash over and over. So far very unimpressed with the progress Adobe has made in 3 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround, rasterize the PDF at 4 times the desired resolution with anti-aliasing turned off (eg 1200ppi), and downsample afterwards to the desired resolution (eg 300ppi).

Perhaps not the most efficient anti-aliasing method, but it does the job without artefacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can still get artifacts at some sizes/resolutions.

Again, as already explained several times in this topic: the problem is in the way the PDF files are created, and because they have images in tiles, they cannot always be rasterized without artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I have similar issue here, after creating layout in Illustrator CS6 I wanted to export it to the PSD file, but whenever i open .ai or .pdf file in Photoshop CS6 every image in it has some weird jagged edges.

I tested importing .ai to Photoshop - resulting in jagged edges on transparent images, no matter what type of image is it (tiff or psd)

That's really annoying. I Think that it is a bug in Photoshop or Illustrator.

After exporting .ai to TIFF transparent images are OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also recorded some tests:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great conversation that's not related to the one you just posted in, so I created a new conversation to continue the discussion.

Please reference the new conversation here: Illustrator art rasterizes with odd edges in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, and why did that work fine in Photoshop prior to CS6?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was already addresses earlier in this topic.

It didn't "work fine" - the lower quality antialiasing in older versions just hid the lines more often, but you could still see lines at different resolutions. With improved antialiasing quality, the lines just become visible more often.

Votes

Translate

Translate